HAM Radio operators

Using an amplifier on the CB bands is illegal and will result in large fines by the FCC.

http://www.arrl.org/...-using-cb-radio

"Section 95.411(a)(1) of the FCC Rules states that CB operators may not attach external radio frequency (RF) power amplifiers (sometimes called linears or linear amplifiers) to certificated CB transmitters in any way. Section 95.411( B) of the Rules states that there are no exceptions to this rule and that use of a power amplifier voids their authority to operate the station. The FCC will presume you have used a linear or other external RF power amplifier if the amplifier is located in the operator’s premises and if there is other evidence showing that the station was operated with more power than authorized."

The operator in the above case was fined $12,500.

There is also an antenna height limit for base station antennas. I AM surprised the FCC nailed anybody for it. They used to just show up and take your gear.

I AM surprised the FCC nailed anybody for it. They used to just show up and take your gear.

There's been a whole group of these a$$holes around Nashville for many years. They can be heard almost every day - especially in the morning - bleeding over CB channels. Of course they claim to be using legal equipment, but because they are bleeding over several channels from miles away, I call BS.

If the guy mentioned in the story above didn't happen to interfere with air traffic, he would have never been visited by the FCC.

You can buy these "kickers" from almost any CB shop in the country, or on line. Hell, you can buy radios like the Connex 4300-300 that can push 300-400 watts, without the need for an external amplifier. Converting 10 meter radio into an 11 meter has been going on for ages.

A friend of mine called the FCC countless times on a neighbor who would sit in his truck and talk on a Galaxy "CB" that was being pushed by a 500 watt Texas Star. From a few houses away, this neighbor would bleed over my friends TV and cordless phone. The FCC refused to do anything about it.

Unless you're really interfering with something/someone important, the FCC couldn't care less.

Edited by TripleDigitRide

As far as licensing no one will talk to you without a legal call sign. As I remember 90% of the electronics parts of the general test is ohms law. The advanced test is very close ( or was when I took both) to the FCC Commercial license test. The hardest part of the extra was the now dropped 20wpm cw. Go for or, keep the hobby alive.

Guest uofmeet

They actually just came out with a new test for the extra. I haven't looked at it but our Liaison says it is a lot harder than the past test. I am an extra and also do VE(Volunteer Examiner) session once a month if not more with my local club. My suggestions when studying the tech and once you got that, start studying the general and take both at the same time. 50% of the general is the same as the tech. It is a great fun hobby, and when i first got in it, their was always someone willing to help with whatever...

73's

Alright guys,

for those of you in the know I want a Radio that does VHF, UHF and the CB band for my truck, I also want the antennas (if I need two?) to be able to be mounted on my rear bumper and not be longer than 3 to four feet, is this possible? and if so what do you recommend?

I will have my Tech license before i even buy the radio, and all required licenses before i use it, i have been looking at one from Icon it is very expensive so if there is a good radio that will do what i want and save me some money please let me know

this is the Icom that i am looking at, would this work?

http://www.icomameri...00/default.aspx

Edited by willis68

Alright guys,

for those of you in the know I want a Radio that does VHF, UHF and the CB band for my truck, I also want the antennas (if I need two?) to be able to be mounted on my rear bumper and not be longer than 3 to four feet, is this possible? and if so what do you recommend?

I will have my Tech license before i even buy the radio, and all required licenses before i use it, i have been looking at one from Icon it is very expensive so if there is a good radio that will do what i want and save me some money please let me know

this is the Icom that i am looking at, would this work?

http://www.icomameri...00/default.aspx

If you want to be able to transmit on the ham bands AND cb using the same radio, there's no such animal. Many ham hf rigs suitable for mobile use will receive the cb frequencies, but not transmit on them. I don't know of any VHF/uhf radios that will receive cb.

The Icom 7000 deserves a serious look in my opinion. I've used the previous version, the IC-706, mobile for many years. Vhf/uhf can be combined into one antenna. Hf requires it's own, separate antenna. Effective hf mobile antennas are usually roughly 6-10 ft tall.

Edited by enfield

I got a license about 1985 when I worked in the Colombian jungle and mail out took a month or more. With a Tech then Tech+ license I could operate /HK3 on voice HF bands RTTY and packet. Many many phone patches kept us in contact with family for about 5 years. Then email came when we worked Bogota and I never hooked the radios up any more. I took them to Mexico for 10 years but they sat in a box the whole time. Still in boxes here in greater downtown Soddy Daisy although I have put up a long line antenna more for SWL then anything else. With the license changes I sort of lost incentive to upgrade my license although I did pass the General written test on furlough years ago.

Cherokee Slim

KC4IHO

If you want to be able to transmit on the ham bands AND cb using the same radio, there's no such animal. Many ham hf rigs suitable for mobile use will receive the cb frequencies, but not transmit on them. I don't know of any VHF/uhf radios that will receive cb.

The Icom 7000 deserves a serious look in my opinion. I've used the previous version, the IC-706, mobile for many years. Vhf/uhf can be combined into one antenna. Hf requires it's own, separate antenna. Effective hf mobile antennas are usually roughly 6-10 ft tall.

Thank you for this

I have this radio http://www.yaesu.com...65&isArchived=0 is does VHF/UHF/HF and is a good portable rig. And i think it is not as much as the 7000.

I think I will go with this one, what is the shortest truck mountable antenna I can use with it? do I need two antennas? I will be mounting this in a Ford Raptor that sits very high, so i am wanting to mount my antennas on the rear bumper to keep them low for clearance

I think I will go with this one, what is the shortest truck mountable antenna I can use with it? do I need two antennas? I will be mounting this in a Ford Raptor that sits very high, so i am wanting to mount my antennas on the rear bumper to keep them low for clearance

How serious are you about effective communications ?

If serious at all, you will need seperate vhf/uhf antenna(s), and HF.

Do you have a topper on the truck (fiberglass or metal)?

On the HF antenna, for best results you need to frame mount a mast (and raise the antenna above the bed), and RF-bond the truck. You can rig any number of detachable/adjustable/lowering mounts.

Here is but one source of ideas. http://www.k0bg.com/antmount.html

At one time, I had 9 antenna mounts on my truck, including three Hustler QD mounts for HF, and a fourth mast holding 4 halos.

My friend, K4IDC in Mt Juliette had a tiltable mounting system operated by a 12VDC screw jack on his Dodge diesel. It would tilt 90 degrees for parking in garages, etc.

Edited by R_Bert
  • Administrator

I run a dual band 2m/70cm rig in my Jeep. It's enough for me and keeps me from having a god-awful 40m antenna (i.e. Huge, ugly) on my vehicle. I'd considered putting a similar 2m radio in our Raptor but decided there really wasn't an ideal place to mount it or the antenna without uglying up the truck.

I'd think long and hard about how much you really figure you'll use 40m in your truck. There are a lot of good 2m repeaters around town for rag chewing and those antennae are pretty small and discrete. There's not much of a way to hide a 40m antenna.

I run a dual band 2m/70cm rig in my Jeep. It's enough for me and keeps me from having a god-awful 40m antenna (i.e. Huge, ugly) on my vehicle. I'd considered putting a similar 2m radio in our Raptor but decided there really wasn't an ideal place to mount it or the antenna without uglying up the truck.

I'd think long and hard about how much you really figure you'll use 40m in your truck. There are a lot of good 2m repeaters around town for rag chewing and those antennae are pretty small and discrete. There's not much of a way to hide a 40m antenna.

I got a few good ideas about mounting the radio in the truck, the detachable faceplates open up the doors quite a bit for a stealth professional installation in the cab, I have actually talked with a car stereo installation shop about this and I think you will like what I end up having done. I totally agree with you about the antenna, I do not want a 40m antenna I would like to do the smaller ones though

I have seen in person a couple of raptors with smaller antennas and mounted on the bumper they were not bad looking in my opinion, but as you said the huge ones ruin the look of our trucks.

I never imagined I could learn this much about Ham radios on a gun forum, you guys Rock!

You don't have to permanently attach an HF antenna to your truck, just the mount.

The common, cheap Hamstick is one of the best (if not the best) mobile antennas for 40-10 meters. You can put a quick-disconnect on the antenna and base and mount it only when you need it. I have a custom tiltable mount that mounts to my receiver hitch in place of the drawbar. My truck is all black, gray and chrome and I'm picky about the appearance also. Hamsticks come in black. :D

Removable/stowable is the key to the larger antennas. My truck looked relatively normal in moments of take-down.

On HF, If you plan to even do 6m - 20M HF, bonding all the panels, doors, hood, bed, frame, exhaust, etc. is critical to a satisfactory operation. It is easy, and does not affect the appearance of the vehicle. Provides a *much* larger counterpoise for the antennas (increases radiation efficiency dramatically), and lowers vehicle RFI / emmissions and road static, and you end up with a broader SWR curve.

Having done all this, my take is HF is a waste of time short of doing it right. It is very frustrating to struggle in qso's, when for a few hours work it can be almost as comfortable as running a dipole at home.

AS for 40M, I used to work Euro DX mobile with 100 watt rig (6' QD mast raised over truck with KW Hustler resonator). I worked some 80m, but mostly cw there.

There is a reason a majority of NTS nets are on 40M; repeaters suck when the power is removed. Daytime comms on 40M mobile-mobile are very effective. We used 40M all over the country in Belize to keep track of our teams.

Does anyone know anything about military surplus radios? The kind you used to see in Jeeps and such. I know a fella who has lots of that stuff. IF they are useful and not overly complicated I might try to see what he's take for some of it.

Does anyone know anything about military surplus radios? The kind you used to see in Jeeps and such. I know a fella who has lots of that stuff. IF they are useful and not overly complicated I might try to see what he's take for some of it.

INMO, surplus radios aren't what they used to be (easily modified for effective ham use). Homebrewers are best suited for using military components.

A *great* guy to deal with is Allen Bond - http://www.mgs4u.com/index.html

You can also find stuff at Surplus Sales of Nebraska, but it is radio's version of CTD.

I have modified surplus amplifiers, deployed military antenna support structures, and on occaision used the radio equipment. The radios themselves generally are specialized / single purpose, often requiring significant modifications for amateur use, draw significant power, and are heavier. The plus is that they are mil-spec. Hard to break..

now hardware, it is a different matter. Cool stuff out there for assembling projects

In summary, personally, I put my $ into antennas, towers, decent feedline, and a few choice rigs known for receiver specs.

Edited by R_Bert