I hope this is not a stupid question.....

I am thinking of getting a supressor for my AR. If I do can I use it with the .22 conversion?

I also want to make sure that I am understanding this correctly. The only actual cash outlay for me is the price + tax and background, and then the 2 bones for the tax stamp. Is that correct?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short answer = yes. It will be fine if you buy a suppressor that can be operator cleaned. i.e. don't shoot a lot of 22lr in a sealed can. 22 is dirty and is awesome to shoot through a suppressor but buy a can that can be cleaned. Or, just buy two suppressors!

So if I am understanding; what I need to find is a take apart supressor for a 5.56/.223. While having two would be cool, that is really not an option for me. That was part of why I got the conversion bolt for my AR, I could buy one rifle that does two jobs. That and I got it super cheap lol.

The problem is that cans suitable for full power rifles are usually welded shut, meaning you can't clean them...which you will need to do if you shoot much 22. There ARE take apart rifle cans, but they typically are much more expensive...like maybe double the cost.

Hopefully others will correct me if I am wrong. I am not familiar with all the cans out there, and there maybe models of which I am unware.

If you plan on never shooting more than 1,000 rimfire rounds you MUST have a can you can take apart. And trust me you will shoot a lot more.

Or you must find a maker that is willing to clean the can for you. When shooting 22lr the lead gets vaporized during the firing process. Then this vaporized lead gets deposited in the can and cools. Eventually the can will become both heavy and louder. And if you get a can you can take apart you can install it on other 22's. A bolt action 22lr with a suppressor is amazingly quiet.

There are several take apart 223 suppressors out there and some are actually very reasonable.

Tactical Innovations makes a suppressor called the Tac-65. It is a 223 suppressor that is full auto rated and it able to be taken apart and cleaned. The best part is they are only $429 which is a deal for 223 suppressor. The Kestrel isn't much more at $499.

Something about suppressed 223's. They are LOUD, not because the suppressor isn't working but because the bullet has a supersonic crack. And that crack is generally about as loud as a unsuppressed 22lr. Or at least that loud if the target is more than 10 yards away. Inside of 10 yards and the sonic crack hasn't really developed into a loud noise. The sonic crack gets louder as the bullet flies and the sonic crack will bounce back at you off of targets, trees or any surface in front of you. 223 suppressors really shine indoors where target distances are really short.

In the end you need a can that can be taken apart. This is because you WILL try it on a 22lr then decide that is a lot more fun than shooting 223. I would really consider getting a 22lr can first because most people who buy both use the 22lr can a lot more than the 223 can. Another reason is for the cost of a magazine or two of 223 you can shoot all day with the 22lr. And there is no sense in having all the extra weight on the end of the gun if it is not needed. A 22lr can is also more suited on a pistol which is where I shoot mine 99% of the time.

Dolomite

There are several take apart 223 suppressors out there and some are actually very reasonable.

Tactical Innovations makes a suppressor called the Tac-65. It is a 223 suppressor that is full auto rated and it able to be taken apart and cleaned. The best part is they are only $429 which is a deal for 223 suppressor. The Kestrel isn't much more at $499.

Happily, I am corrected! That is a strong deal on a "take apart" F/A rifle can! I was thinking you'd have to get into to titanium for something like that, and they can be pricey IIRC.

Edited by atlas3025

Can't you use a sonic cleaner or something for the sealed .22 cans?

Depends. On aluminum cans you can only clean them by taking them apart. I have been told sonic cleaners can damage aluminum cans. I don't own one so I don't know. I do know for a fact that dips will destroy an aluminum can pretty quick.

SS cans can be cleaned a few different ways. One is using a dip made up of hydrogen peroxide and lemon juice. It will eat the lead out and not damage anything else on a SS can. But the by product, lead acetate, is some very, very dangerous stuff. The fumes will hurt you. The solution itself will penetrate the skin as well as the blood/brain barrier. It also settles into ground water. And this is a cause for concern because it is one of the most cancerous substances on the earth. Good news, most major cities can take lead acetate as part of household hazardous materials.

They can also be cleaned using a media blaster without causing any damage.

Most people say the best way to clean an aluminum can is with a wooden stick and elbow grease. You might be able to use walnut media in a sandblasting cabinet. I know I use wlanut media to remove paint from aluminum without damaging the aluminum substrate. As a matter of fact I use walnut media to clean my SS can and it works pretty well.

Dolomite

Can't you use a sonic cleaner or something for the sealed .22 cans?

I'm not sure about the sonic cleaner buy you can use hydrogen peroxide in the can, BUT THE RESULT IS LEAD ACETATE WHICH IS VERY DANGEROUS!!!!!

I would just buy a user serviceable can if your gonna shoot 22lr

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am thinking I will look into the tac 65 and also check with Thompson Machine and see what they have to offer. I want one that can function for both calibers. My whole plan is to end up with one rfle that serve many functions.