The TGO rendezvous

TGO Rendzvous attendance   

6 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be attending?

• Yes- by myself
    • Yes- Me + 1
    • Yes - Me + 2
    • Yes - Me + 3 or more

Well I figured to get this thread up early to give people time to plan and prepare. The 2nd TGO old fashioned campout, class, and rendezvous is up on us. This one will be hosted at my Dads place. He owns around 40 acres in the deep backwoods, but we have access to around 72,000 acres if needed lol. We will have some more classes on bedrolls and primitive camping, as well as camp fire dutch oven cooking, trade blankets, blacksmith work in our forge, and lots of other stuff, as well as just a chance to get out away from home, and meet some fellow TGO friends. So turn in for time off work, ask for a weekend away from honeydoos, and get prepared for an awesome weekend.

What: Quarterly Old Fashioned TGO Rendezvous and campout

When: Oct. 19th, 20th, and 21st

Where: 386 Duncan Flats Lane, Briceville, TN 37710

Events list:

Fri. afternoon: Show up, set up camp, eat dinner, meet and greet, talk, bull####, swap lies, and generally just have a nice relaxing night by the camp fire.

Sat: Dutch oven cooking prep, Blacksmithing thoughout the day, classes on bedroll and primitive camp setup. Possibly do some draft horse work if their is an interest. Trade blankets set out around noon till end of day.

Sun: More blacksmithing, possibly some hide tanning classes, more trading and swapping if someone wants. We will also do a knife throwing, hawk throwing, and traditional firearms shooting competition. I will provide small prizes for each of the winners. So bring your cap and ball pistols, flint rifles, cap rifles, anything that is loaded using loose powder and bullets, and fired with either a cap or flint is allowed in the shooting competition. Knife and hawk throwing rules will be worked out before the event.

Remember this is about having meeting new friends, seeing old ones again, learning something new, and just generally having a good time. Also remember that my dad is opening his land to us for use during this. Please respect that by collecting up any trash you bring, and try to watch your language a little bit if possible as women and kids will be around at times. Also personal carry of firearms is excepted and encouraged, but please make sure to do so in a responsible and safe manner. Thank you

Edited by Spots

Awesome, Spots! I was disappointed that I missed the last event. I would love to attend this event. Thanks for hosting.

I plan on carrying, but will there be an opportunity to live fire besides powder?

I would really prefer to keep it black powder only. If any modern guns are shot, the brass will have to be picked up and taken care of, and it just worries me getting a bunch of guys out there shooting, plus I do have both my sisters, and my mom to contend with if theres gunshots going all day, and we have lots of animals around. So for right now I'm gonna just say I'd prefer to keep it black powder only, on a hot target "range" during the competition.

No, I'm a Duncan, and my mom is a lively, both have been in the area for a long time. But I do know a few pattersons.

My mother-in-law is Peggy Patterson. We have several in-laws and cousins on Braden Flats & Duncan Flats.

Peggy was raised in the old community (long gone) that was on top of the mountain on the west side of 116 (about a mile down the ridge, their house was where now is first field on the left).

Edited by R_Bert

I got a pretty good idea of where your talking about. The house my dad grew up in was built on Duncan flats in the 20's, and my sister lives there now. We are probably related through marriage, as Peggy Patterson sounds real familiar. My Grandmother is a phillps, and was raised on the side of the mountain on the now gravel mining road, out by what was called the rose place. They then moved to the Deep Holler at the end of Duncan Flats and lived there for years, and still own several acres out there. I'll run it by my dad next time I talk to him. You should come up, since you know the area, I'm sure you would enjoy the event.

Edited by Spots

Pictures from the last campout, pictures from the last hammer in, and pics from working the Draft horse. This one will include all three, plus some stuff.

Campout pics here

Forge work pics here

And heres the horse we will be working with

leavedec17th-jan6th028.jpg

Guest Broomhead

Plans that far out are a bit up in the air so I can't give a definite yes, but I'm planning on doing what Jax is. Looking forward to more blacksmith work.

Man this sounds like a lot of fun.

That is one nice looking horse too. I love horses....as long as I can keep a reasonable distance. You cowboys [and girls] can roll your eyes, laugh and call me city slicker all you like; That is a godawful lot of muscle should he decide he doesn't like you anymore.

Ya'll are gonna have too much fun, I can tell.

Man this sounds like a lot of fun.

That is one nice looking horse too. I love horses....as long as I can keep a reasonable distance. You cowboys [and girls] can roll your eyes, laugh and call me city slicker all you like; That is a godawful lot of muscle should he decide he doesn't like you anymore.

Ya'll are gonna have too much fun, I can tell.

Plenty of time to plan ahead. Why don't you make the trip?

Hey Spots, how old is the Belgian? I used to have one some years back, he was a gentle giant. Mines name was Tony, we called him Tony the Giant Pony. He was a logging horse before I got 'em. I miss the ole boy.

I sure wish this wasn't the other side of the state or I would sure like to attend. Ya'll have fun and be safe.

• 2 weeks later...

The wife was just asking me about toilets? byot?

Also wanted to point out at the time of this posting I had noticed one of the advertisers was selling FORK KNOX Safes. Not my typeO

Just thought is was funny is all.

• 3 weeks later...

Toliets will be byot. We will be out in the woods, so privacy will be the biggest oak tree. Sorry, last time we had a restroom at my place, but my dads is set up different. I hope everyone is taking their time off, and making plans for the drive. We are getting closer.