Request for my Memphis area TGO'ers

I am asking any of my fellow TGO'ers in the Memphis area or anywhere for that matter to please get on the Malco.com website and send them an email voicing your opinion on the gunbuster signs they now have posted. My boss and I have already sent letters/emails and maybe a decent number of emails will change their mind.

I don't normally ask this for any and every business I see posted but going to the movies is a love of mine and I hate not being able to go. I know I could go anyways and not carry but I am very passionate about not giving my business to anyone who posts unless necessary. Also for the obvious safety reasons. I would appreciate it greatly!

Email sent. I noticed the sign for the first time tonight. I was struck by a few things I observed. One, the number of folks walking around with shirt tails untucked possibly concealing a handgun. 2. the security guard was also patrolling the parking lot and would be little help in the event of a situation inside. 3.they have emergency exits that go straight to the outside of the building. These are not well secured and present access to the inside of the theater much like in Aurora.

I noticed the same thing at the Collierville theater tonight. There were signs at each of the ticket counters and signs on the doors also. I will be sending an email. After the movie I watched the guard come in and check the emergency exit door. Don't know if he was doing that for all screens but he did it for ours.

I noticed the same thing at the Collierville theater tonight. There were signs at each of the ticket counters and signs on the doors also. I will be sending an email. After the movie I watched the guard come in and check the emergency exit door. Don't know if he was doing that for all screens but he did it for ours.

That's not what I wanted to hear. Collierville has been my favorite theater. I' m going to miss it. The thought that this crap works is mind blowing!

Here is what I sent, hopefully it will make a difference.

I would like to ask you to please remove the no guns signs from your locations. It has been proven time and again that these signs do nothing but keep caring law abiding citizens out of your establishment and provide a gun free zone for a criminal that will not abide by your sign anyway, the Aurora shootings being the most recent example of this. Conceal carry permit holders are good law abiding citizens that will honor your signs, which in turn will cause you to lose business, but the people you want to keep out are the ones that are not going to pay attention to your signs anyway so if anything you are actually putting people more at risk with these signs.

Please reevaluate your policy on these signs. I do enjoy coming to your theater almost weekly to spend my hard earned money but will have to reconsider my options as long as these signs are up.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Guest 270win

Yes, a sign will keep criminals from shooting up a movie theater. It worked in Colorado quite well.

I am not going start not carrying my gun with me the few times I go to the movie theater. Now which movie theater I go to, well that is for me to know.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a "Hollywood 20 Cinema" at Kirby Whitten & Hwy 64 (stage rd). Last time I was there the theater was trashy, the screen had been cut and "patched", sound sucked, etc.

Addtionally, I'm pretty sure it's posted anyway. I haven't been there in a couple of years, but it was posted the last time I was there.

I just can't bring myself to give them money since I know there stance on it. I know I probably give my money to plenty of other establishments who have opposing views or interests but hey you have to be passionate about something.

It's kind of funny but I watched Tombstone last night for the millionth time and it never dawned on me that the earp's did the same thing to that town. "I'm not saying you can't own a gun. I'm not saying you can't carry a gun. You just can't carry a gun in town!"

• Moderators

Normally I try to avoid places that post as well. Hell, I only go to a movie theater 2 or 3 times a year, but this was a bit of a special occasion. Some friend's of mine and I went to see "Runaway Slave". Seeing that film in theaters outweighed not spending money at Malco.

I haven't been to the movies in the last few weeks. If they have posted I will be sending a email. I haven't gone to a movie unarmed in 20 years and I won't be starting now. I will wait on dvd or ppv.

I'd prefer to spend my money on a dvd than at a theater that doesn't want me to carry.

I just sent them an email with this:

Dear Management,

Thank you for your many years of providing the Memphis community with quality movie theaters and movies. The picture and audio quality, cleanliness of

the theaters, and comfort of the seats have all augmented my movie-watching experiences. As much as I love going to the movies and patronizing the Malco

establishments, particularly the Cordova theater, it is with much regret that I must voice a concern and withdraw my patronage, as well as recommend

others do the same, until this concern is remediated.

Recently I began noticing signs banning handguns from the Malco premises. While you are certainly within your right to do so, and I certainly see your

reasoning in light of recent atrocities such as, the Aurora, Colorado, incident, restrictions such as these only deter law-abiding citizens, not

criminals. As a law-abiding citizen with a TN state issued handgun carry permit, I am bound by the law to disarm myself and temporarily suspend my

rights in order to comply with your postings if I were to watch a movie in your establishment. Criminals, on the other hand, will not comply with the

law. That is why they are criminals. They have no respect for the law.

Banning handguns from those with appropriately acquired state licenses forces law-abiding citizens to choose 1 of 3 options: 1) The law-abiding citizen

may disarm before entering your movie theaters, thus leaving themselves defenseless and deprived of their right. 2) The law-abiding citizen may decide

to break the law and carry their handgun into the theater anyway, thus committing a criminal offense. 3) The law-abiding citizen may no longer patronize

the Malco theaters because they neither wish to suspend their right to carry nor violate the law by carrying into the theater. Law-abiding citizens such

as, myself, would only rationally choose option 1 or 3. I personally will choose option 3, and will recommend others, including my friends from law

enforcement and the military, to do the same, because criminals and criminally minded individuals will invariably choose option 2, thus defeating the

purpose of the ban.

Depriving law-abiding citizens of their right and privilege to carry handguns to protect themselves and those around them only gives criminals a license

to further commit crimes, because they know that there are now less people to stop them. Unless there is an armed guard at every screen and airport-

style security checkpoints, there is little one can do to guarantee that no armed criminal can enter any establishment. However, allowing law-abiding

citizens to exercise their right and privilege to carry at least gives them the ability to defend themselves if ever necessary. I humbly ask you to

please reconsider your stance on carrying handguns, so that law-abiding citizens such as, myself, may once again enjoy watching movies at your theaters.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I just got a reply from Malco:

Dear Frank,

Thank you for taking the time to express your opinion regarding our no gun policy.

We always appreciate hearing from our patrons and your comments have been well noted.

Sincerely,

Alan Denton

Alan Denton

Vice President

Corporate Communications