SIG p938 Nightmare...Problem gun?

Guest brentt

Guest brentt

Went to the range today with my buddy to break in 2 of his new guns, the nughtmare and the xds .45.

The xds.45 did just fine, the sig however not so much. when I held one at the store I wanted it right then. Im glad I waited. I still love the feel of the gun and the accuracy is impressive. shot 4 out of the 5 shots on the same hole first try with the gun. The problem was out of 60 rounds at least 25 jammed due to the shell not being extracted which obviously caused a failer to feed. One 5 round group did it every shot. The very last mag with 5 rounds in it finally shot all the way through with no hiccup. Yes I was using the same ammo. Any of you experienced this?

Guest No Ammo

Most 1911 guns need at least a 200 round break-in, also many other makes,I have had Kimbers, Colts & others, all

needed some break-in,

I don't feel comfortable carrying a new gun until it has been thoroughly broke in.

Edited by No Ammo

I am getting close to 500 rounds with mine, at a rough count (I do not always count exactly, but its in the neighborhood).

So far, the trigger has broken in pretty nicely.

It still jams about one time in 50, maybe 1 in 25.

I have had NO jams on hot ammo, only "target grade" commercial ammo. Naturally, that is just playing the odds: the hot ammo is pricy and 1/20 chance when you only shoot 50.... maybe it was just luck there but it seems like it just needs some hot ammo to break it in.

I made some hot and it also worked 100% but I have not had time to make boxes and boxes of it yet.

All that to say give it a 500 round break in and store it with the mags loaded to the max, and work the mags they also need some break in. See where it is after that.

On day 1, first box, mine also jammed about once per mag. It steadily improved since then, and a breakdown + overlube followed by 3 boxes back to back did a lot.

Edited by Jonnin

I've long since ceased trying to figure out why a particular pistol out of a given lot number doesn't want to play nice and instead give me fit's. Sometime's it's simply a matter of not working with a specific brand of ammo or a bad magazine. Both are an easy fix and no big deal. But when it get's into the fidley little stuff like an off spec chamber, feed ramp etc, that's almost right but...that irk's me. Part's breakage is a given, even in a brand new gun so I alway's look for thing's like that before shooting and everytime I clean a pistol. The bottom line though is not every new or lightly used pistol is flawless so don't let it bum you out.

Ok, I have seen issues first hand with a Sig 238. Acting exactly like your 938. Know what I did to fix it? I greased the rails. Guns that ride on full length rails NEED grease to run well, especially new ones. Once the guns have a few hundred rounds through them they tend to run better.

I would be willing to bet if you were to add some molybendum disulfide grease it will resolve the majority of your problems. Oil is pretty useless as it tends to run out as the gun warms up. Oil also atracts dirt and debris while grease doesn't. What I mean is with grease dust and debris settle on the outside and with oil the dust and debris get worked in.

Dolomite

keep us posted. Mine was bone dry out of the box, not a sign of any oil or grease or anything. Should make a huge difference. As a 1911 type, put a little something on the rails, the guide rod (where it rubs the barrel underside) and the top of the barrel (where it rubs the slide during a shot) at the very least. I dripped a tiny bit of oil into the trigger/hammer/action as well.

Yep, sigs like to be run wet. Grease the rails and a little oil on top of the barrel and in the action. Give it few hundred rounds and tell your buddy to maybe even rack the slide a bunch on his own as there might be a rough spot that smooths itself down.

Went to the range today with my buddy to break in 2 of his new guns, the nughtmare and the xds .45.

The xds.45 did just fine, the sig however not so much. when I held one at the store I wanted it right then. Im glad I waited. I still love the feel of the gun and the accuracy is impressive. shot 4 out of the 5 shots on the same hole first try with the gun. The problem was out of 60 rounds at least 25 jammed due to the shell not being extracted which obviously caused a failer to feed. One 5 round group did it every shot. The very last mag with 5 rounds in it finally shot all the way through with no hiccup. Yes I was using the same ammo. Any of you experienced this?

I want a 938

Edited by SonnyCrockett
  • Like 1

I've never heard or had a failure with a sig, excluding operator error.

Run an internet search on the mosquito sometime.

+1 ... Sig Mosquito's, and the early runs of the P238's & P290's. You'll see quite a few problems.

and my XDs was a jammomatic......go figure

Never had a single issue with any of my XD/XDm's. Outside of my 45 not liking green box wally world JHP's.

I've never heard or had a failure with a sig, excluding operator error.

The p250's were terrible. The mosquito has been a trouble child as well. I'm seriously thinking the only ones to depend on out of the box are the models in production for 15+yrs or ones out of production.

Ok, I have seen issues first hand with a Sig 238. Acting exactly like your 938. Know what I did to fix it? I greased the rails. Guns that ride on full length rails NEED grease to run well, especially new ones. Once the guns have a few hundred rounds through them they tend to run better.

I would be willing to bet if you were to add some molybendum disulfide grease it will resolve the majority of your problems. Oil is pretty useless as it tends to run out as the gun warms up. Oil also atracts dirt and debris while grease doesn't. What I mean is with grease dust and debris settle on the outside and with oil the dust and debris get worked in.

Dolomite

^^This

With the 238 they had to change the magazine design 3 times, change the recoil spring, rewrite the manual to include suggesting greasing the rails, and started including a tube of their own sig brand grease before all of the problems were gone. Not feeding correctly is usually magazine related on the 238 while FTE is usually recoil spring or grease on the rails. I know the 938 is an updated version but I'm not sure sig learned their lessons entirely the first go around.

The sig mosquito isn't even a sig. It is a pot metal piece of junk with a sig sauer logo on it. It isn't even manufactureed by sig, the mosquito is a GSG design and manufacturer. I would never buy one of these, and if given one I would sell it. They are worthless, in my opinion.