Any Krag experts???

Caster

Looky here what my daddy in law bought me today!

It has 1869 on the side of the receiver and barrel and 1914 in the receiver bridge. I know it's a Norwegian Krag in 6.5x55 but that's about it. Too bad bubba chopped the stock up, but I'm on the hunt to restore this one. This one certainly deserves some time and money spent on it to put it back the way it's supposed to be.

BTW!!! If any of you have a stock, I'm interested!!!!!!! Send me a PM.

DSC02738.jpg

DSC02739.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MAN!!! This thing has the smoothest action of any rifle I have ever cycled. I mean ANY rifle, not just mil-surps! THis one would give Browning or Weatherby a run for the money on smooth. The old saying "smooth as a krag" is well deserved.

Seriously though, Talk to me, I know nothing about these and (1) I hate googling anything (2) I didn't find much when I did.

Also, let me get honest opinions on this.

I'm seeing now just how difficult it is to find an original stock for this. I really do hate sporters for the most part but if it were to be done tastefully? [ie expensive] I see Richards microfit will make a stock for the norwegian krag in some GORGEOUS configurations. Hmmmm that thumbhole is tempting.

Here is a picture of one I picked up last year. I would never sporterize an original one but there is something to be said for a one that was well done by a real gunsmith back in the day, which this one was. These are great shooters and yes the action is the best of any rifle I own. Be glad you are a reloader as production runs of ammo are seasonal and can be hard to come by when it is gone for the year.KragSporter.jpg

Here is a picture of one I picked up last year. I would never sporterize an original one but there is something to be said for a one that was well done by a real gunsmith back in the day, which this one was. These are great shooters and yes the action is the best of any rifle I own. Be glad you are a reloader as production runs of ammo are seasonal and can be hard to come by when it is gone for the year.

Now, is that a 30/40 or what? Sure is pretty.

Yep 30/40. I guess I did not notice in your first post yours was in 6.5X55. I've also got a M96 Swedish Mauser in the 6.5. Also a great caliber and a lot easier to come by. I shoot the 139 grain Privi in mine but have since acquired a set of dies so I am going to start reloading that next.

My father had one in .30/40. He was very fond of it. I know it was one of the prizes of his collection when I was a kid. My mother sold it, and he never really got over that.

I still have a handful of .30/40 in all the stuff he left me, but that is about all I know about them.

My father had one in .30/40. He was very fond of it. I know it was one of the prizes of his collection when I was a kid. My mother sold it, and he never really got over that.

I still have a handful of .30/40 in all the stuff he left me, but that is about all I know about them.

That wont be happening to mine. Of all my guns, this is the one my 16 year old son has made quite clear he wants when I am gone.

I kind of like what you have as it is, that striped wood is attractive and it looks to have been put together with some thought instead of a hacksaw and drill. There are much uglier chop jobs.

Dunno, try the gunboards forums? Half the members there seem to have a box of parts for every rifle made from 1890 to 1950.

I kind of like what you have as it is, that striped wood is attractive and it looks to have been put together with some thought instead of a hacksaw and drill. There are much uglier chop jobs.

Dunno, try the gunboards forums? Half the members there seem to have a box of parts for every rifle made from 1890 to 1950.

Yeah, it looks a LOT better in the pictures. The metal parts are all in VERY nice shape. I'm going to look for an uncut stock but if I can't find one reasonably I think I'm going to buy a fancy one from Richard's Micro-fit. THis rifle deserves some really nice wood.

That will be a tough restoration. Norwegian parts aren't the same as US parts. And Norwegian parts are pretty scarce. As mentioned above, you might ask for help on the Krag section on Gunboards. There are some folks there who are seriously knowledgeable on those rifles!

The Krag action is a wonderfully smooth action. It's as fast as a nice, pre-WWI, Lee-Enfield!