GM still need CPR

My 99 Lincoln Continental has 285,000 miles on it and is still in pretty good shape. I took it away from my wife

primarily because of the mileage. I'm one to run the wheels off a car instead of trading every year or so. The

Bimmers I own now will probably see 200k by the time I consider trading them.

I have been eyeing that Mustang Boss 302, lately. :D Been a Ford guy all my life

I own a Race Red 2013 BOSS, and you can't go wrong with them.
Guest 6.8 AR

Damn! Mind if I come down and test drive? :D

I doubt if Jenkins & Wynne even has one. j/k That's one Ford I've never had: Mustang. Driven the heck out of a few

GT's, but from what my mechanic friend said, the Boss lives up to expectations.

Damn! Mind if I come down and test drive? :D

I doubt if Jenkins & Wynne even has one. j/k That's one Ford I've never had: Mustang. Driven the heck out of a few

GT's, but from what my mechanic friend said, the Boss lives up to expectations.

No offense, but no one drives it but me: however, I'd be more than glad to give you a ride in it if you're down in these parts. I'm NOT joking. It's kind of hard to find a dealership that'll let you test drive one. My previous Mustang was a 2008 Shelby GT500. :)
Guest 6.8 AR

None taken. I know. :D It was funny when J&W got the Ford GT's in. Damned few people at the dealership could

even touch them. I imagine the same policy goes for these.

Back in the 70's I snuck out with a red 428CJ Mustang from them and got a thrill or three. Been awhile.

My American made 2006 Honda has over 164,000 miles and has never been in the shop for any reason other than a brake job. It's solid as a rock, and GM can't touch it for quality and reliability.

Oh yeah well my dads bigger than your dad

None taken. I know. :D It was funny when J&W got the Ford GT's in. Damned few people at the dealership could

even touch them. I imagine the same policy goes for these.

Back in the 70's I snuck out with a red 428CJ Mustang from them and got a thrill or three. Been awhile.

Two Rivers Ford had a Competition Orange 2012 on the lot a couple of weeks ago. The previous owner got bagged twice exceeding the posted speed limit by a considerable amount. I think the sales manager told me 140 MPH. They are speed limited to 155 MPH unless you get it unloced with a tune. :)

GM still sells more cars than any company in the world. It would be an economic disaster for them to fail. They make bigger, better quality, cars and trucks than the imports. We ever get the import buyers that are still living in the 70’s back to the future and our economy will get better. patriot.gif

I suppose I’m an import buyer. Bought me a Toyota after a failed attempt with a Dodge and owning only GM all my life. Decided I would trade in that Toyota for a GMC, brand spanking new. Great truck if you discount the fact all the brakes to include the drums had to be replaced twice in the first 3000 miles. I guess when that happens and the dealer tells you it’s normal then it’s time to go back to Toyota, which is what I did. I’m sure there are lemons out there but this particular instance was me giving GM one last final chance. Never again.

Interesting that people believe the marketing that Ford didn't take Gov't money. They all did and do.

http://www.forbes.co...out-commercial/

http://www.usatoday....ergy-loan_N.htm

http://wot.motortren...-cash-9443.html

From Forbes:

"But wait a minute. OK, Ford didn’t file bankruptcy or get bailed out by Uncle Sam, but didn’t it receive $5.9 billion in low-cost government loans in 2009 to overhaul its factories and bring out more fuel-efficient technology?"

From Motor Trend:

"As part of an initiative to elevate its credit rating, Ford has asked for, and received debt assistance from the governments of the United States, the United Kingdom, and the European Union"

Edited by hkusp40cal
  • Like 2
Guest 6.8 AR

Ford did receive funding in the form of a bridge loan after finding private financing in the 20's of billions

on it's own, and after agreeing with the other two auto makers that it would be probably necessary that

if the others were to stay in business, they would have to do the same. The other two, one of which was GM

took the taxpayer bailout in total, trashing the investor and leaving the taxpayer on the hook.

There is a myth that GM has paid back all of their first round of favors by the government. Prove that one

while you attempt to set the record straight, next time.

Ford took the high road while the other two took the taxpayer money first. This is a typical liberal trick to rationalise

behavior when Ford at least tried to utilize their own assets before sucking off the government teat.

Even that article in Forbes appears to be slanted enough to make it like GM. Not the case.

Yeah; just like Government Motors; the government bailed out Ford's union contracts and the government owns tens of thousands of shares of Ford stock and the government appointed Ford's CEO and the government allowed Ford to go through 'bankruptcy" without any of the consequences and that Ford can't make a real profit without the government and General Electric buying its product and that Ford has paid back its tiny loan with other money given to it by the government and...

Oh wait....

None of that happened. :rofl:

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 1

Not defending any company since that is all they are is a company. It amazes me how many people get caught up in "Brand Identity" in the country. As if what you drive matters, my point was ALL the auto companies take money from the gov't. Also, one must remember that this bailout was forced on GM in order to save the union since GM (and probably Mopar) original plan was to do Chapter 7 which would have relieved all the obligations to the unions. The gov't was not about to let that happen.

Full disclaimer, I drive a chevy truck currently, but have owned, Dodge, Honda, Kawasaki and Jeep. I have no brand loyalty to anyone since they are just objects which we happen to require if we want to get around. I believe if the gov't had let GM and Mopar file chapter 7 there would be quite a few people in here complaining about how could they let that happen.

• Like 1

Not defending any company since that is all they are is a company. It amazes me how many people get caught up in "Brand Identity" in the country. As if what you drive matters, my point was ALL the auto companies take money from the gov't. Also, one must remember that this bailout was forced on GM in order to save the union since GM (and probably Mopar) original plan was to do Chapter 7 which would have relieved all the obligations to the unions. The gov't was not about to let that happen.

Full disclaimer, I drive a chevy truck currently, but have owned, Dodge, Honda, Kawasaki and Jeep. I have no brand loyalty to anyone since they are just objects which we happen to require if we want to get around. I believe if the gov't had let GM and Mopar file chapter 7 there would be quite a few people in here complaining about how could they let that happen.

I have no brand loyalty either. I'm a consumer and will use my dollar where I think it will be best spent. With that said, I would rather buy a product that is affordable that the manufacturer will actually stand by. That has not been my experience with Dodge or GM. Their unions and their employees have bankrupted the company and the company expects that consumers will buy their product because it was made in America.... sometimes. They don't deserve my money. The American way isn't to sell a substandard product and then look to the government to make it all better. The free market should be allowed to decide this one. The free market decided that GM should be no more. F-k them.

GM still sells more cars than any company in the world. It would be an economic disaster for them to fail. They make bigger, better quality, cars and trucks than the imports. We ever get the import buyers that are still living in the 70’s back to the future and our economy will get better. patriot.gif

Better than the imports? NOT!

I'm a mechanic,trust me. I just did a clutch on an '09 Cobalt with 58k on it. What a POS.

Guest 6.8 AR

Yeh, I like unions having a say in how my tax dollars are spent, don't you? You also couldn't have included me in your statement about complaining about how they could have let it happen. I have never liked it when the government had a role in picking winners and losers. Bankruptcy would have placed a priority on those assets being played with, instead giving the UAW effective control over a private company, on top of all the regulations and other government restrictions.

Value your freedom. That deal cost you more than you realize.

Edited by 6.8 AR

I agree, GM should have been allowed to file Chapter 7 and then come back if they could. It really makes be chuckle when you see a support the union sticker on a foreign car. Considering the foreign company's don't use union workers for the most part. With a true bankruptcy GM and Mopar would have broken the unions and then competed or not without that burden.

All companies do not take government money and more to the point, what GM did went a hell of long way beyond getting a loan; the government now owns a huge share of the company and it's unlikely that the taxpayer will ever be made whole on that deal.

Where did you get that idea that they were forced? GM was broke a LONG time before the government stepped in; the only thing keeping them afloat for years was their mammoth size and the fact that people were still buying high-margin trucks and SUVs...once that marked dried up their real weakness was exposed. The government simply didn't have the power to "force" GM to take their money nor force it to go through a sham bankruptcy. GM made those decisions at the expense of taxpayers, stockholders and bond holders.

If we must remember something then I suggest that we remember that were it not for the government and General Electric (which at this point might as well be a government agency for Obama); GM would be bankrupt yet again even with all the taxpayer money already given to them and the sham bankruptcy.

I believe if the gov't had let GM and Mopar file chapter 7 there would be quite a few people in here complaining about how could they let that happen.
I'm sure some would but it was wrong for the government to step in and the taxpayer will still pay the bills; complaining can't change that. All the bailouts, including those of GWB were antithetical to free enterprise. Edited by RobertNashville

I agree, GM should have been allowed to file Chapter 7 and then come back if they could. It really makes be chuckle when you see a support the union sticker on a foreign car. Considering the foreign company's don't use union workers for the most part. With a true bankruptcy GM and Mopar would have broken the unions and then competed or not without that burden.

I can't say I've see many union stickers on foreign nameplates; most of the transplant nameplates are not only not unionized but the workers want nothing to do with the UAW and most "foreign" nameplates have more domestic content than the "American" car companies (and most models of "foreign" vehicles are made in the U.S.

I am, perhaps as or more passionate about cars as I am firearms and there are a lot of car nuts who still want to believe that the American car companies of today are the same as they were 50 years ago...it just isn't true; not that many will accept that.

I thought that "red" key maxed it.

Can go a step or so more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope! Ford cannot legally remove it. Red key changes things like lopey idel, engine braking, throttle response, and other parameters. It's fun to drive the red key, but ts not good for rush hour. Personally, I wouldn't spend the money for the red key since there's CAIs with tunes that give a little more power, remove the speed limiter, and gives you what the red key does.
Guest 6.8 AR

I didn't know that.

I have been thinking about a chip for my 535 that do the same thing you mention. A JB4 adds about 90HP

at the wheels and plays with almost everything BMW chose to keep tame, which is a lot, trust me. I like the idea of

having essentially a 550i with two less cylinders. :D

Still nothing compared to the brute force of the Ford.