Freedom of Speech

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24882600/

This is becoming crazy. I thought here in the United States of America whe had a freedom of Speech deal. But it seems preachers are getting Obama in more trouble everyday.

I am 100% against an Obama white house, but I hate to see someone in the "land of the free" to have to apologize for something another man said. This is crazy.

There are preachers out there that say far worse things than that, I know I have heard some of them, but you can be damn sure I will not be apologizing for them.

I bet other countries are getting kick out of watching our "Headline Breaking News". I am ashamed that this is how politics work.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how it is a freedom of speech issue if Obama chooses to apologize for someone else's words. It's just proof that he panders.

I don't think he chooses to, I think he is told to, for the race to the white white house.

Apologizing for someone else is stupid.

Just cause somthing was said in a church he use to attend, doesn't mean he has to take responsibilty for it. Hey I bet some illegal activities are going on at his old college, he better say he's sorry. :D

We are supposed to be able to say what we want , but that is not the case. We do as we are told, and learn to keep our mouths shut. Every day more people are turned into sheep. :D

I better start doing a better job of getting my S.H.T.F. supplies up. :eek:

Edited by memphismason
Guest DrBoomBoom

Freedom of speech applies constitutionally to the government. A private citizen or business can regulate speech. For some examples: I can insist that people in my home not discuss politics or religion; or that my children not cuss; or the owners of a website can lock or delete threads for basically any reason they decide (one website I frequent locks out the name of another competitive website...perfectly legal). It is the federal, state, and local governments which are bound constitutionally to not prohibit speech of any kind unless it presents a danger or encourages sedition.

Having said that, however, I agree with you that these apologies have simply gotten out of hand. Politicians are falling all over themselves to apologize and distance themselves from people who say controversial things. Whatever happened to: "I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to my death your right to say it." More "politically correct" crap.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean you are free of the social consequences of what you say. If I go around saying gun owners are the cause of myriad social ills and are all racists and anti-semites,that ought to be protected. But I shouldnt be surprised if my business rolls over and dies and old friends shun me.

As for Obama, if we can get him to apologize and back pedal for every stupid thing any supporter of his has said we can really put the crimp on his campaign. He'd be doing nothing else.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean you are free of the social consequences of what you say. quote]

You are right.......But he didn't say it.

My point is, he should not have to apologize for things that didn't come out of his mouth.

He should say, "I disagree with what was said, but hey, preachers can say whatever they like, this is America."

• Administrator

You are right.......But he didn't say it.

My point is, he should not have to apologize for things that didn't come out of his mouth.

He should say, "I disagree with what was said, but hey, preachers can say whatever they like, this is America."

You're not thinking clearly on this. You are right... he SHOULD NOT have to say anything. But he chooses to because he is pandering to get votes. It's entirely his choice, regardless of the pressure that may or may not be getting applied to him to say these things.

Which speaks to an entirely bigger problem: Namely, that if he can be so easily swayed just by popular opinion, what good is he going to be in office?

Answer: NONE!

• Administrator
You're right. It is a sign of how poorly his campaign is being managed and what a weak inexperienced candidate he is.

There seems to be a misconception at work here. The misconception being that anyone else can MAKE you say or do something. They cannot. We each have free will and choice. You can be coerced into doing something against your will, by force, bribery, pain, extortion, etc. but ultimately it is STILL your choice to go against your will and allow yourself to be broken.

Obama's breaking point is apparently very easy to reach.

Guest Glknknox

I think the point is he (obama) is trying to distance himself because of what is heard in the news for the last few months.

Maybe he should explain why he was sitting in that guys church for the last 20 years.

Has nothing to do with freedom of speach.

Has everything to do about getting into the Whitehouse

A chill just went down my back......I was defending a person who if elected will tear down many things that this country stands on. I need to stop.

I agree with what everybody has said. He is inexperienced, he is an opinion whore, and worse of all he is democrat. But I still hate to see people apologize for things that didn't say or do.

Sorry Indians for the stealing of your land, Sorry black people for enslaving you, Sorry Mexican's for taking some of your land, Sorry American people for the high gas prices, Sorry.....etc.....etc..... It doen't mean anything coming from me, cause I am not the one to blame for any of them.

Nor could you do anything about it. More to the point.

In Obama's case he doesnt want to be associated with people muttering stupid stuff because then, in his campaign's mind, he is sharing those opinions. A stronger candidate could say "I disavow those ideas but defend his right to utter them." Of course that won't fly in the PC atmosphere of the Democratic Party where every offensive opinion must be silenced.

In Obama's case he doesnt want to be associated with people muttering stupid stuff because then, in his campaign's mind, he is sharing those opinions. A stronger candidate could say "I disavow those ideas but defend his right to utter them." Of course that won't fly in the PC atmosphere of the Democratic Party where every offensive opinion must be silenced.

Yes sir, I agree.

+1

Its sad that people are now removing oboma from the church he attended.As I said in another post,one can not forget 20 years worth of teachings.It just like you telling me you have just forgotten 12 years worth of school,plus 8 years of college.That just does not happen!

Sorry getting off the topic,but obama pisses me off!End rant...