question about storage for guns

Guest Boonie

Guest Boonie

does anybody know were i can find the laws for tennessee storage for guns, i just bought a safe for my guns but was wandering if i should install trigger locks on them too, the reasion is i just got coustady of my daughter last week and the week before that a lady came by from marion county to check out my home the only thing she said is i need to install trigger locks on my guns, but at that time i did not have a safe so i stored my guns out in a locked building, so i need to know if i have to install trigger locks on my guns now that i have a safe to keep them in. buy the way the safe is in the house. what i would like to find is the laws on gun storage so i can print it out because i would like to show the lady when she comes back. because i think it would be silly that i would have to install trigger locks while they are in a safe. the lady did not say anything about a safe and was wandering if useing a gun safe is good enough?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there are really no laws that directly address the storage of firearms in TN. There are no laws that require the use or trigger locks or storage in a safe or other locked means. You could tell her there are no laws that require it and challenge her to show you otherwise.

You of course do have to provide a safe environment for your children, not really sure who this lady is to determine that, but if she has the authority to determine what is safe and what is not and your daughter will not be allowed to live with you unless she is happy, well you are sort between a rock and a hard spot.

You can look up the weapons laws using the link in my sig if you like. There are under Title 39, Chapter 17, Section 13

Just curious...when I got custody of my kids from my ex, there was no inspection or anything like that before the moved in full time.

trigger locks are another feel good pile of BS.

The second rule of gun safety is to keep your finger off the trigger. To install one of these locks there is no way around messing with the trigger. I refuse to use them.

Put your guns in the safe and lock the door. You are done.

He's dealing with child services, thank Heaven he didn't get a social worker that demanded he get rid of his firearms (its' happened) before he could take custody of his daughter.

Get the trigger locks so the child 'services' nazis are happy. When you get your safe, you can lock 'em all in that w/out the locks.

Congratulations, by the way, on getting your daughter home!

Guest jfountain2

I would ask the lady from child services if the safe by itself would be ok. Since you didn't have it on her first visit she may say it's enough. Save the manual and/or paperwork that came with the safe and show it to her so she can see how well protected the guns will be. If she still wants locks, I would get locks. She does have the right to remove your daughter if she feels it is not a safe place, and nothing is worth loosing your child.

I also would not remove the locks after she is gone, child services can come back without warning, anytime they want to check and see if you are in compliance.

Guest 2Old
A gun can still be discharged with a trigger lock on. They are unsafe and stupid. Your safe is much better.

Absolutely true! The problem here though isn't what's true or what's not true... it's satisfying that woman.

Absolutely true! The problem here though isn't what's true or what's not true... it's satisfying that woman.

Correct! I would say go ahead and get some cheap rinky dink trigger locks from WalMart just to be on the safe side.Heck if nothing else you will really impress her by taking the extra step!:D

Guest tokarev

Many police departments have gun locks for free. You might want to check them out before you buy any. I know that last January, I saw two boxes of gun locks (from many gun manufacturuers and (I think) all made in China) that was marked to be given out to the public, at my town's police department.

Guest Glknknox

Put them all into the safe and ask mrs state worker to try and open it.

The down side is that big ass safe will probabley scare her worse than a gun sitting out.

As stated above, good for you on getting your child

Guest Boonie

Just curious...when I got custody of my kids from my ex, there was no inspection or anything like that before the moved in full time.

From my understanding it was some kind of court or state appointed visit. The lady had to visit both homes (the one she was at and mine) because a child was being moved from one to the other. My daughters mother passed away in October and she was with her mother's parents who I had to take to court for custody. Also the sheriff's dept. in Grundy Co. and they did not have any trigger locks and suggested that I go to Wal-Mart. Does anybody know the cost or anywhere else to get them? I have five guns and that's going to get pretty exspensive.

Guest Glknknox

I have 3 locks that came with the glocks I have.

You can have them if you pay for the shipping.

They are the kind that slide through the chamber.

If I wasn't so broke I would just send them to you.

IM me if you are interested

I don’t know if <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State>Tennessee</st1:State> has any laws that lay out the requirements. The test would probably be if a loaded firearm could get into your kids hand. Tell her you have a safe and see if that pacifies her.

As far as <st1:State>Tennessee </st1:State>not having laws requiring this; I can think of a few. You could make a defense on any of these, but if a kid gets killed you are probably going to be charged.

<O:p</O:p

39-13-103. Reckless endangerment

39-15-401. Child abuse and child neglect or endangerment.

39-15-402. Aggravated child abuse and aggravated child neglect or endangerment.

39-13-215. Reckless homicide.

39-13-212. Criminally negligent homicide.

I think you're OK with the safe. When she comes back over just point it out

and state they are in there. Don't say anything else unless she ask. I have found

that when dealing with most Government employee's the less said the better.

On that note. I have some trigger locks I don't need. You can have them.

Congrats on getting your baby girl back. I know I would have a hard time without mine.

I don’t know if <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State>Tennessee</st1:State> has any laws that lay out the requirements. The test would probably be if a loaded firearm could get into your kids hand. Tell her you have a safe and see if that pacifies her.

As far as <st1:State>Tennessee </st1:State>not having laws requiring this; I can think of a few. You could make a defense on any of these, but if a kid gets killed you are probably going to be charged.

<O:p</O:p

39-13-103. Reckless endangerment

39-15-401. Child abuse and child neglect or endangerment.

39-15-402. Aggravated child abuse and aggravated child neglect or endangerment.

39-13-215. Reckless homicide.

39-13-212. Criminally negligent homicide.

I did say there were laws requiring a safe environment for children. Just no laws that specifically addressed the requirement or procedure for the storage of firearms.

From my understanding it was some kind of court or state appointed visit. The lady had to visit both homes (the one she was at and mine) because a child was being moved from one to the other. My daughters mother passed away in October and she was with her mother's parents who I had to take to court for custody. Also the sheriff's dept. in Grundy Co. and they did not have any trigger locks and suggested that I go to Wal-Mart. Does anybody know the cost or anywhere else to get them? I have five guns and that's going to get pretty exspensive.

Send me your address, I have some I'll get out to you tomorrow. I'll pay shipping on them to. dr . alarms @ comcast . net

Guest Boonie

i got them yesterday. thanks again cant wait to see the lady now. i have them in a safe with gun locks what can they say about that :eek: