Do you carry every day?

EDC  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Do you carry every day?

• YES
    • NO

I don't carry everyday because I frequent places thet do not allow carry. Most places I visit I see no need to carry. I carry on an average of 4-5 days a week. Just guess which ones! Then very rarely is "Toad" ever locked and loaded.

I mostly feel that I do not need a handgun to defend myself, that's probably why I take the stand that I do.

Dave S

Like a church or an Amnish school or a sign company? There are places that you are more likely to need a gun to defend yourself against a gun but there's no place that completly safe, and there's no martial arts that will beat a bullet. As others have said, I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I've made 800+ skydives, the first 449 I never needed that bulky reserve until 450, if I didn't have it I would be dead. If I have to go into some place where I'm not supposed to carry I will lock it up in the truck but I mostly avoid those places anyway.

I don’t carry every day, although I almost always have access. But it’s probably because I don’t fear dying.

I wouldn’t have got an HCP if Tennessee allowed vehicle carry. And that’s probably why they never will allow it. biggrin.gif

• Like 2

When and where I carry is becomming no ones buisness anymore. It's hidden for a reason so the fewer that knows the better off I am. Work, sleep and shower are the only places I don't carry....but one is always very near.....and yes, I carry on the Throne! :pleased:

Don't want to wind up like John Travolta in Pulp Fiction. At least he got to finish his business before Bruce ventilated him. :D

Like a church or an Amnish school or a sign company? There are places that you are more likely to need a gun to defend yourself against a gun but there's no place that completly safe, and there's no martial arts that will beat a bullet. As others have said, I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I've made 800+ skydives, the first 449 I never needed that bulky reserve until 450, if I didn't have it I would be dead. If I have to go into some place where I'm not supposed to carry I will lock it up in the truck but I mostly avoid those places anyway.

Point well taken Sir! However, I'm not so afraid of things, that carrying or not, doesn't bother me. Sorry it's just me! I feel that I don't need a gun with me every second of my life. I will visit businesses that are posted, will visit those that aren't. That's the only fair way to be!

You are right, martial arts don't beat bullets (most of the time). However, knowing your surroundings and those there, will win for you everytime!

Dave S

Point well taken Sir! However, I'm not so afraid of things, that carrying or not, doesn't bother me. Sorry it's just me! I feel that I don't need a gun with me every second of my life. I will visit businesses that are posted, will visit those that aren't. That's the only fair way to be!

You are right, martial arts don't beat bullets (most of the time). However, knowing your surroundings and those there, will win for you everytime!

Dave S

Well I wasn't afraid when I went to Yellowstone a couple of years back unarmed, the airport kinda frowns upon carrying on a plane but where I can carry I will. I try to avoid high crime areas but my last job that wasn't possible all the time. Since i've had my HCP i've only drawn my handgun once and that was on a dog which I didn't have to shoot but I came close, he was charging me in an attack mode but his chain stopped him, I didn't see the chain until it yanked him off his feet. Actually i'm glad it happened because it was a real life test with fear and adrenilin and I passed it without killing the dog. Anyway, it doesn't always have to be danger from humans all the time. When I got my permit I decided if i'm going to carry then i'll carry everywhere i'm allowed, that neighborhood with the dog wasn't a dangerous hood for crime but IF I wasn't carrying and IF the dog wasn't on a chain I would have been mauled, that dog seemed to come out of nowhere and even if I had been paying attention to my surroundings I still would have missed that.

If you went onto SOMEONE elses property where the dogs was..you had no right to draw on it to begin with....what's the rest of the story?

Dave s

I was servicing this ladys heat pump, when I was walking around her house to the back her next door neighbors dog ran towards me in a full run with a vicious growl, it was about a 60+lb. mongrel mutt, he was definatly in attack mode. I've gone to alot of houses before and have learned fairly well how to read a dogs attitude. Anyway it was her neighbors dog with about a 30ft. chain, chained to a dog house, of course I had permission to be on her property and never left it. The 70+ year old homeowner told me later that she was terrified of that dog and had complained about it before. I believe I would have been justified in protecting myself if that dog hadn't been chained, anyway i'm not going to allow myself to be mauled by a dog if I can help it. At that time I carried a Kimber Custom Classic 1911, just right before the chain caught and flipped him backwards I had drawn my 1911, had the safety off and the front sight right on him at about 15 feet from me and just started to put a little pressure on the trigger, that was as close to shooting the dog as you can get.

Side note: I don't believe in chaining a dog to a doghouse or tree it's entire life, it's cruel and usually makes them mean as hell, I like dogs, the second to the last thing I wanted to happen was to kill that dog but the last thing I wanted to happen was to be eaten by that dog. I actually felt sorry for the poor thing.

If you have such bad problems with dogs why don't you carry mace?

Sent from secret underground bunker

Because mace will only piss them off futher if the dog is vicious enough. An animal in attack mode is pretty much immune to pain, even humans. I've seen videos where crazed people have fought like hell after being sprayed by industrial police pepperspray, i've seen a video where some dude ripped out the barbs of a tazer while it took over 4 cops to subdue him. I don't trust mace or pepperspray to defend myself, their often ineffective.

I use to read meters, many times mace was the only thing that would get a dog to retreat. Im not talking labs, I'm talking pits, Dobermans, akitas etc. Freeze +p in two years I.never saw it fail.

Sent from secret underground bunker

I'm a big fan of spray for a non-lethal option...I've had to use it a bunch over the years.

Does it work 100% of the time? Nope, but neither do bullets.

Even if it doesn't completely subdue someone, you'll still severely affect their vision.

The two best I've seen/used is Fox Labs and Freeze+P.

My Dept currently issues DefTec's Mark III. It's OK, but not nearly as good as the above two.

Edited by TN-popo
Guest rockytop

To any that ask why I feel the need to carry every day:

I don't have auto insurance because I want to get into a wreck, I don't have home owners insurance because I want my house to burn down, and I don't carry a gun every day because I want to get into a gunfight.

Very well stated.

I carry anytime I have my pants on except where prohibited by law or where necessary to enter posted businesses like a hospital or similar type facility.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Gen. Patton

I'm armed at all times except in places that I have to go through a metal detector like a courthouse. I don't carry on school grounds when I attend classes or visit my daughter's school. In the trunk of my car with the car alarm on is where I disarm but I never leave home without it. It's like my wallet, keys, and shoes; my outfit isn't complete without my weapon.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SiriusJones

I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

This is exactly what I tell everyone who asks me 'why do you carry that thing everywhere you go?'

Company policy says no guns at work. To be honest I feel a little screwed on it though. I work in the field. The office is secured and entry is restricted without a card. I have been in the office 4 times in the past 2 months, just to pick stuff up. I am bound by the same policy in a company vehicle.

I jokingly tell my wife to find an ambulance chaser lawyer to try to sue the company if I get murdered while on company time when i could've been carrying and at least maybe had a chance.

Outside of that I carry when I can.