Bugin out on Bug out guns

Guest betobeto

Guest betobeto

Man I love a good conversation on this topic. I always tell my anti gun friends (yes i have a few) if the stuff ever hits the fan they couldn't give their house for a single shot 22 never mind actually being some what prepared.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mjwehrman

Not much will make me bug out. Im more of a defend your land kinda guy. If I did though, I'd grab every gun I own. I would rather have it and not use it than think, "damn, I wish I brought the .50" :)

Guest betobeto
Not much will make me bug out. Im more of a defend your land kinda guy. If I did though, I'd grab every gun I own. I would rather have it and not use it than think, "damn, I wish I brought the .50" :)

Yup so very true

Obviously it will depend.

If there is some law enforcement I would hate to be explaining to the nice officer why I have a loaded long gun in my car, in contravention to TN law.

So I think 1 hi cap 9mm (SIG P226 or 228 in my case), 1 .44mag for those heavy weight shots and probably an SKS with strippers.

If there is no LE around then an AR-15 because they are just so tacticool.

another reason I chose the carbon 15 "pistol"

I'm thinking about getting one of the cav arms discreet rifle bags in red or blue to hold a broke down AR. I figure in the SHTF I'll have enough time to snap an AR together.

Guest nraforlife
Man I love a good conversation on this topic. I always tell my anti gun friends (yes i have a few) if the stuff ever hits the fan they couldn't give their house for a single shot 22 never mind actually being some what prepared.

They also need to be very concerned about keeping the food and water they have stored away to say nothing of their women folk.

Guest dotsun
All of you guys are paranoid....

:cry:

Don't come crying to us when the zombies are at your door wanting to eat your brains out, pal. ;)

First post, and I gotta set myself up ;-)

10-22 carbine and a 22 semi pistol.

Depending on what variety of S is hitting what sort of Fan, I still have to eat, and if I am in a firefight I am probably cooked anyway. I have no experience getting shot at, and I'll probably find it difficult to concentrate.

I can carry a lot of ammo, of course, and toss in some subsonic rounds and I could hunt very quietly.

Flame on! ;-)

Any more than two guns is a waste of weight. There is a good chance that you will end up on foot so wieght is going to be an issue. No one gun is perfect for every situation (well I guess a Glock is:koolaid:) so pick the ones that would cover the most situations.

I think the .22 is a great SHTF round. Its cheap, very light weight, and will kill anything from a frog to a whitetail.

I don't think about this stuff much since I live in Oak Ridge and would be pretty much screwed anyway...:D

I'm pretty confident that my .357mag lever action would serve me well... I still need to get a decent .357mag revolver to share ammo with it. A .22lr carbine would be nice, too.

Other than that, I have very little practical use for most things tactical... but they make great, fun gaming guns.

i love this topic. i just love thinking about this topic and didnt know that so many others out there were like me. like most others on here, i'm most likely to bug in. in the event that i need to bug out though, thats still an option with my setup. we have some food stocked up, mostly MRE's. and we always keep lots of bottled water on hand. i have several thousand rounds of 12ga stored up in .50 ammo cans, mostly 00 buck and slugs, but also some #6 and #8 bird shot. i have four defense 12 ga's setup and ready to pound all that ammo out. i chose the shotgun mainly because its powerful, its easy to operate and score hits with under stress, and for interior stuff i just dont think you can beat a 12ga. i have two S&W .38spl wheelguns setup as our sidearms, along with lots of .38 spl ammo. my carry gun is also a S&W .38 J frame, so it'd be compatible as well. my big game hunting rifles can suffice for long range duties that might be needed, so i dont have as much ammo on hand for them. i'm seriously considering adding an SKS and a few hundred stripper clips to the arsenal though, it would just be a nice option to have available methinks.

my wife says i'm paranoid, but i just tell her she will think i'm prepared if we ever need any of this stuff...and if we never need it, then i've had a ball setting it up!

It would depend on the situation. I live in an apartment right now so the defensive capabilities are so-so. If I had to bug out by vehicle it's:

FN Tactical Police 12 gauge, Bushmaster Carbon 15 AR, and my 1911. Plus the go bag w/ ammo.

If it's on foot, the AR, 1911, and backpack. Nice thing about the Carbons, they are light and easy maintenance. Plus .223 ammo weighs less than shotty shells.

Gotta agree with the 9mm Carbine for all the reasons Tungsten stated. Most pistol caliber carbines are inherently very accurate. For example I have a Kel-Tec sub2000 in 9mm and (all kidding aside) I have to try really hard to miss with with it. Also a carbine is useful if you are in a more closed in area because of it's smaller size. A 9mm round coming out of a say 16 inch or so barrel is gonna have a lot more energy behind it than it will coming from a pistol barrel so it's pretty decent fire power to boot.

I agree - love my Sub2k. Not sure I'd want to rely on it saving my life, but it's way more accurate than just my G22. But yah, bought it in the .40 Glock config so the mags are interchangeable. Stock up on ammo and if needed, I have a nice little duo ready for protection.

Also agreed that if you need something that can reach out more than a couple hundred feet, you're likely already dead meat. Small, concealable and efficient are most important to me...

I would be grabbing all of them!

I keep my guns(well all except for my Moss;its in a Wilson tennis racket case) packed up and ready to roll in my range bag,so all me would have to do is grab it and go!

I would use my XD9 until I got outside to my car,then its the Sub2k in 40 to clear the driveway!

My biggest problem would be getting the ammo loaded up!

Guest JavaGuy

I've got to agree with Boom.. you guys are paranoid. But are you paranoid enough?

And yes, the other side of that is that you aren't being paranoid if "they're" really out to get you.

This has been enjoyable (and informative!!) reading though. +a bunch on the M1 Abrams AND on parking it wherever you DWP.

All of my guns are within 5 feet of each other. I would open the safe and grab them. That is assuming this is a scenario that I actually have to leave Memphis. In a Katrina type situation I would be holding up in the house with all of my ammo etc. I am sure between the neighbors I will be able to get food. Exchanging food for protection is a good thing.