Hidden gems of Tennessee

LagerHead

A recent thread gave me this idea. Pretty much everywhere has their own little traditions that are well known to the locals but may not be known to those who live a bit further away. If you know of such an event, gathering, local watering hole, restaurant or other must see attraction in Tennessee please post it here. For example I just learned that Paris, TN is home to the world's largest fish fry. Why am I just now finding out about this? What else don't I know?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack Daniel's does free distillery tours in Lynchberg, TN.

Murfreesboro has a monument at the geographic center of TN.

Union Jacks is a great watering hole in Knoxville if you like beer, they have one of the largest selections in town and is very well known compared to many other bars.

Knoxville also has the sunsphere.

Eateries: Sam & Andy's, Taste of Thai, in west Knoxville. Sushi Spot in Powell. El Sazon is pretty good for Americanized Mexican food, on alcoa highway or their sister restaurant Pelancho's in west Knoxville/downtown west.

There is an old resturaunt in Lynnville called Soda Pop Junction. It is really good. Don't know much of the history about it but I go there usually at least once a month. I live in Columbia and it's about a 15-20 minute drive but it's worth it. The waitresses on the weekends are top notch' ; )

Guest rebeldrummer

There is a very small, hole in the wall restaurant going up to Nebo Mt (I believe that it is still considered Maryville) called Beckys.

You wanna talk about AMAZING breakfast food!!! (like your great-grandma / grandma used to make!)

Then Maryville has Hot Rods which is a 50's style diner with some seriously good burgers and killer fried pickles!

We also have Bread of Heaven which is a local, family owned (small) BBQ joint....

Then right down the road we have The Redneck Resort!!! fun times to be had here folks....

http://www.redneckresorts.com/

Union Jacks is a great watering hole in Knoxville if you like beer, they have one of the largest selections in town and is very well known compared to many other bars.

Eateries: Sam & Andy's, Taste of Thai, in west Knoxville. Sushi Spot in Powell. El Sazon is pretty good for Americanized Mexican food, on alcoa highway or their sister restaurant Pelancho's in west Knoxville/downtown west.

Pelanchos is posted NO CARRY. I will never go there.

Pelanchos is posted NO CARRY. I will never go there.

Everytime I have gone I had plans of sharing a pitcher of top shelf margarita so it was a none issue for me, lol. To be honest how often I have eaten there I have never noticed the sign, I will have to check next time as I probably carried in there.

Now I still see the old ABC no guns in places that serve alcohol signs all the time, are you sure it wasn't one of these?

Taste of Thai is awesome!

Last weekend in July is the Tomatoe festival in Grainger county(Rutledge to be exact)

Maryville had a really good small Cuban Sammish makin` place on East Broadway..I think it called the Aroma cafe,,very good

I think best food for mexican is still El Paraiso...very good pricing and best food as far as I am concerned.

Well I was going to post about the Minister's Treehouse in Crossville, but while searching for a link (http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/13746) it turns out the Fire Marshall has shut them down.

We went there this summer and it was pretty neat. It is a HUGE tree house, forget how many stories and rooms it has, but it is measured in tens of thousands of square feet. The owner built a treehouse one day and has just kept adding on ever since.

If it ever opens back up, it is well worth the visit. It is (was) free, but they have a donations box outside.

McCloud Mountain in La Follette is definitely worth seeing. The restaurant isn't great but the view is spectacular.

http://www.mtcloud.com/

Also, all of Big South Fork is pretty special in my opinion. I'll never understand why so few people visit but I like it that way.

Downtown Grill and Brewery in Knoxville is always a hit.

Fall Creek Falls is beautiful. I hear Savage Gulf is really neat.

The Cherohala Skyway is definitely worth seeing.

McEwen has the Irish Picnic the last weekend of July. I haven't been in a few years, but is special event for a good cause. Best pulled pork ever, and only comes around once a year.

Rugby, right outside the Big South Fork, is a great area to spend a little time.

Reelfoot lake area is a great little getaway.

Montgomery Bell State Park is a great place to spend a few days. They have a good golf-course if that is your thing, a pretty cool Inn, and cabins. They have a couple of playgrounds for the kids, etc.

Jonesborough, TN has a Storytelling Festival that my wife and I really enjoy.

As Tennessean's. we are blessed to have some of the most diverse and interesting culture in our country. I could spend a few years just traveling around the State and experiencing it all. I have seen the world, but nothing compares to what Tennessee has to offer.