Guns taken from citizens in New Orleans

Guest HunterH

Guest HunterH

I have seen the video as I am sure many of you have of LEOs taking legally owned guns from citizens in New Orleans after Katrina. Frist, how the hell is that legal and how did they know who had what guns if they do not keep record of citizen's gun purchases???

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen the video as I am sure many of you have of LEOs taking legally owned guns from citizens in New Orleans after Katrina. Frist, how the hell is that legal and how did they know who had what guns if they do not keep record of citizen's gun purchases???

They went house to house doing searches. It wasn't legal then and it definitely isn't now. Several states (including TN) make it illegal to confiscate weapons from citizens during an emergency or natural disaster. This has been a big discussion and hole into the argument of "They'll never go door-to-door and confiscate guns." Well, they did it.

They went house to house doing searches. It wasn't legal then and it definitely isn't now. Several states (including TN) make it illegal to confiscate weapons from citizens during an emergency or natural disaster. This has been a big discussion and hole into the argument of "They'll never go door-to-door and confiscate guns." Well, they did it.

I agree, even though it is against the law...they will do it if they see fit.

58-2-107(m)

During any state of emergency, major disaster or natural disaster, the state, a political subdivision or a public official shall not prohibit nor impose additional restrictions on the lawful possession, transfer, sale, transport, carrying, storage, display or use of firearms and ammunition or firearm and ammunition components.

Guest HunterH

So am I hearing right that you esentually had to tell them you had a gun, or they had to find it in a search... does this mean they did not use records to hunt down gun owners or use records to initiate a search??

Guest nraforlife

But the good people of New Orleans were well protected by their police force and didn't need their weapons. After all IF they were allowed to keep their firearms some innocent vermin from the seedier part of New Orleans may have been shoot and/or killed while looting and we just couldn't allow that. Everyone has the right to a 52" flat screen TV, drugs, rape and liquor during a disaster and the vermin were just getting theirs while the 'man' was elsewhere. :D

New Orleans was an isolated incident involving a disaster the likes of which no other highly populated area in this country has seen. The infrastructure was devastated.

There is plenty of blame to go around. Crimes were committed by many high ranking officials. The President was slow to invoke his power to step in. The Governor was delusional when she thought she could handle the situation. Mayor Nagen was slow to order an evacuation because he was more concerned with the city's liability for closing hotels and other businesses than for the saftey of the people.

Nationl Guradsmen were openly questioning if what they were doing was legal; they didn’t know. We know now what they were doing was not legal. The orders to search homes for weapons were unlawfull. If any of those troops had killed citizens in those searches they would have hve been courtmartialed for murder.

One of the news programs did an on-camera interview of two black female NOPD Officers looting a store. Were they ever put in jail?

Some good things came out of it….

Federal law was passed outlawing what they did in NO.

And here in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State>Tennessee </st1:State>this was added into state law.

<O:p<O:p

58-2-107. Emergency management powers of the governor.

m) During any state of emergency, major disaster or natural disaster, the state, a political subdivision or a public official shall not prohibit nor impose additional restrictions on the lawful possession, transfer, sale, transport, carrying, storage, display or use of firearms and ammunition or firearm and ammunition components.

Guest Mugster

Those youtube images of grandma getting roughed up make me want to vomit. Be nice to put some gloves on and and see if those cowards want to go a few rounds in the ring with someone that can fight back.

Guest slothful1
Some good things came out of it….

Federal law was passed outlawing what they did in NO.

And here in <st1:state>Tennessee </st1:state>this was added into state law.

<o>;)<o>:P

What good are laws that

1.) outlaw something that was already illegal, and

2.) can apparently be violated with impunity?

Every one of the LEOs, Guardsmen or any other officials involved should be doing hard time.

</o></o>

Guest slothful1
They were following orders...those that gave the orders should be the ones doing the time...

The Nuremburg defense... I don't buy it. Unlawful orders should not be obeyed.

Guest nraforlife
New Orleans was an isolated incident involving a disaster the likes of which no other highly populated area in this country has seen. The infrastructure was devastated.

<o>;)<o>:P

And should have been a wake-up call for everyone. What the pimps and whores who run N.O and Louisianna did was illegal and they should have been put in jail with some of their voters.

</o></o>

Guest bkelm18
The Nuremburg defense... I don't buy it. Unlawful orders should not be obeyed.

I'm guessing you've never served in any public service (Military/LEO) capacity?

What good are laws that

1.) outlaw something that was already illegal, and

2.) can apparently be violated with impunity?

Every one of the LEOs, Guardsmen or any other officials involved should be doing hard time.

</o></o>

Well, if what I hear is true, several/many guardsmen asked about the legality of their orders. IOW, there was question in their minds. The new laws are there to make it crystal clear that even in a situation like this, our 2A rights aren't to be 'suspended'.

I'll never be against more laws that defend our 2A rights.

Guest slothful1
Well, if what I hear is true, several/many guardsmen asked about the legality of their orders. IOW, there was question in their minds. The new laws are there to make it crystal clear that even in a situation like this, our 2A rights aren't to be 'suspended'.

I'll never be against more laws that defend our 2A rights.

OK, but if Guardsmen cannot even be bothered to read the fairly short Constitution that they explicitly swore to support & defend, then I doubt they're going to know/care about some obscure statute that adds no new information.

Guest Phantom6
OK, but if Guardsmen cannot even be bothered to read the fairly short Constitution that they explicitly swore to support & defend, then I doubt they're going to know/care about some obscure statute that adds no new information.

You give Guardsmen and by extension the general public way too much credit. I take it that you have either never seen or maybe you have just forgotten about the Jay Walking segments on the Tonight Show where even teachers can not tell you around what year the War of 1812 was fought or who we were at war with. There have been segments where avg. Joe's were shown pictures of the Vice President and could not name him. Knowing this, now you ask why the Guardsmen wouldn't know what was in the Constitution? These folks are members of the general public that have the courage and/or need to step up to the plate to cover our asses but they are still members of the general public. Just like the general public you have bright ones and some that really have a hard time thinking on their feet. Think about some of the folks you work with or deal with on a day to day basis. Some of those who may even be guardsmen will ask questions or apply reason to gain clarity when they do not understand things. Others do well just to remember to ask whether you want fries with that order or not.

Edit: My intent is certainly not to slam the folks that volunteer to put their lives on hold to respond to emergency situations in time of crisis. I'm simply saying that you shouldn't expect any more from these fine folks than you expect from the average individual. Yes, it would be great if everyone read and understood the Constitution but let's be real. Most can not tell you what the bill of rights contains.

Edited by Phantom6
Guest bkelm18
You give Guardsmen and by extension the general public way too much credit. I take it that you have either never seen or maybe you have just forgotten about the Jay Walking segments on the Tonight Show where even teachers can not tell you around what year the War of 1812 was fought or who we were at war with. There have been segments where avg. Joe's were shown pictures of the Vice President and could not name him. Knowing this, now you ask why the Guardsmen wouldn't know what was in the Constitution? These folks are members of the general public that have the courage and/or need to step up to the plate to cover our asses but they are still members of the general public. Just like the general public you have bright ones and some that really have a hard time thinking on their feet. Think about some of the folks you work with or deal with on a day to day basis. Some of those who may even be guardsmen will ask questions or apply reason to gain clarity when they do not understand things. Others do well just to remember to ask whether you want fries with that order or not.

Edit: My intent is certainly not to slam the folks that volunteer to put their lives on hold to respond to emergency situations in time of crisis. I'm simply saying that you shouldn't expect any more from these fine folks than you expect from the average individual. Yes, it would be great if everyone read and understood the Constitution but let's be real. Most can not tell you what the bill of rights contains.

I agree. I'm gonna be honest, the military isn't filled with the best and brightest exactly. Everyone has their reasons for serving, most are doing it for the college money or had no other choice really, so what the constitution says really isn't one of their concerns and they will leave it up to their superiors to sort all that out and will just do as they are told. Some people really don't think beyond themselves. I experienced that a few times too many when I was in.