10/22 Freaks only

graycrait

Top two guns have: Nikon Nikoplex P22 2-7 scopes, Archangel Target stocks, Ruger polymer trigger housings with Kidd trigger kits.

Top one has PWS T3 toggerl receiver and URS 29" barrel.
Middle one has Ruger semi-auto receiver, Dolomite Supafly bolt and Green Mountain 28" barrel
Bottom is for reference size only with 16" stock barrel threaded by 5th SFT sniper instructor at FT Campbell.

The long guns are well-balanced for off-hand shooting but fun on the bags too. Now I have to find which ammo each likes and do some real accuracy tests. Additionally I have to figure out where if any pressure points are needed 'cause I think those barrels are going to have some harmonics that may need to be controlled if possible.

[IMG]http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/graycrait/Long1022s.jpg[/IMG]
  • Like 1

Send them to me for testing, be sure to send LOTS of ammo!!!
O and send the money for return shipping! PM me for my address to ship to. :cool:

My OL has a1985 10/22, I dont know if I like the long barrels, from what I have read, a 22LR
uses up the powder in the first 14 to 16", and after that the barrel just slows the bullet down.
Can you shoot them through a crony and let us know the FPS for the long and short barrel?

• Like 1
[quote name='RED333' timestamp='1352683766' post='844049']
.... the long barrels, from what I have read, a 22LR
uses up the powder in the first 14 to 16", and after that the barrel just slows the bullet down.
[/quote]

But you don't need a bullet at all for nearby squirrels, just bonk 'em!
Essentially all .22 LR uses up the powder charge in 16". The real issue of a long barrel if you recall the old school remingtons and others that used to be 24 or 26" is that when shooting subsonics you have to accept the fact of inconsistent ammo. Long barrels slow the bullet more allegedly eliminating the possibility of a bullet leaving the barrel at supersonic speed with the accompanying shock wave. Me? I don't get all that yet and may never. I suspect that this new match .22LR ammo that costs more for 50 rounds than a box of 9mm may solve some of those inconsistencies. I like buying a bucket of Goldens.

I am not a BR, Biathlete or Olympic shooter. I like nice feeling guns. As unweildy as they look the long barrels in those stocks settle really comfortably in the support hand with nice balance. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't done it. I don't know anyone else who has mated these long tapered barrels to the Archangel's before but they feel great and those who have handled them concur. The last critter I killed was a scolding squirrel at about 15 yards with a snap shot through the neck using a 1956 Winchester 62A and 20 grain Super Colibras. On the other hand I have some luck in shooting clay pigeons at 175 yards with the long barrels as long as the wind cooperates.

As a former squirrel hunter I know I would be taking one of the long barrels with me just to make shooting without ear plugs a little more enjoyable. If you shot a 710fps 40 grain CCI Quiet through that long barrel you will really understand how quiet then can be. In the semi they have to be manually cycled, as they also have to be in the toggle lever long barrel. In practical terms I wonder if fellow squirrels would return to normal patterns faster if a hunter used subsonics and a long barrelled rifle after plugging one of the bushy tails.

I concur, that top one is a bunch of fun. graycrait is a magnet for odd guns and configurations. The problem is that when you shoot a graycrait'd weapon you fall in love with it, and then he won't trade or sell.:(

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='graycrait' timestamp='1352681573' post='844013']
Top two guns have: Nikon Nikoplex P22 2-7 scopes, Archangel Target stocks, Ruger polymer trigger housings with Kidd trigger kits.

Top one has PWS T3 toggerl receiver and URS 29" barrel.
Middle one has Ruger semi-auto receiver, Dolomite Supafly bolt and Green Mountain 28" barrel
Bottom is for reference size only with 16" stock barrel threaded by 5th SFT sniper instructor at FT Campbell.

The long guns are well-balanced for off-hand shooting but fun on the bags too. Now I have to find which ammo each likes and do some real accuracy tests. Additionally I have to figure out where if any pressure points are needed 'cause I think those barrels are going to have some harmonics that may need to be controlled if possible.

[img]http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/graycrait/Long1022s.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

I want that archangel stock for mine I think. Are those bolts blackened?
No, the bolts aren't blackened, I'm just a bad photographer. The Archangel target stock is the best stock for the money in my opinion. Yeah you can buy better stocks for a lot of money, but why do that? If you want a really accurate .22 just buy an Anschutz and be done with it. My goal in 10/22s these days is to keep the cost within reasonable rates, yet still explore new things in shooting (i.e. long range rimfire). I've had $300.00 10/22 barrels in fancy wooden stocks chambered for specific ammo using 300.00+ scopes. And I could still shoot as accurately or maybe better as that 10/22 did with a CZ 452 - yes it is maddening.

And again, Yes, I did spend 350 clams on that toggle receiver but that was cheaper than buying a Biathlon rifle and I wanted to see how those systems work without going to the Winter Olympics and kissing someone's xxx to look at their rifle or spending the same amount of money as I would on a car just to have a Biathlon style toggle system.

My ideal "conventional "10/22s" - yes, you have to have two:

1) Running Boar Green Mountain (120.00) barrel in a Tapco tacticool stock (89.00) a vertical foregrip (20.00) and some type of good optic for faster shooting, including moving targets.

2) Long barrel, either Green Mountain 28" or Urban Rifle Supply 29" (159.00), Archangel target stock (90.00), with good optic/scope for off-hand or bag shooting.

In either case if you wanted to upgrade accuracy you could send your bolts and even these aftermarket barrels and have them tuned by Randy at CPC or Que. Will they then be Olympic grade rifles - no, not even Kidd or Volquartsens are used in the Olympics.

If you want a real .22 rifle that will make you the envy of all the range ninjas then I suggest one of these: [url="http://www.champchoice.com/cat-Anschutz-402.aspx"]http://www.champchoi...schutz-402.aspx[/url] I've heard many times that the fellas at Champions Choice are top notch and they are right here in TN.

You might want to try these also: [url="http://www.champchoice.com/cat-Feinwerkbau-404.aspx"]http://www.champchoi...erkbau-404.aspx[/url] or maybe one of these: [url="http://www.champchoice.com/cat-Walther-405.aspx"]http://www.champchoi...alther-405.aspx[/url]

However, in the .22 game no matter how much you spend on a 10/22 it will not put you in the just linked class of rifles for accuracy in the games in which they are played.

Craig Edited by graycrait
  • Like 1