Tennessee Death Row Dogs

Guest AmericanWorkMule

Guest AmericanWorkMule
Instead of buying a puppy we need to rescue the ones in trouble.
I have too many and have to keep telling myself I can't rescue them all...

A non-profit organization that promotes and rescues dogs which are scheduled for euthanasia.

[url="http://www.facebook.com/tndeathrowdogs"]http://www.facebook.com/tndeathrowdogs[/url]

[img]http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/550861_473308786045986_499088877_n.jpg[/img] Edited by AmericanWorkMule
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that a lot of people don't know is that there are many breed-specific shelters all over the country. A lot of people buy certain breeds for the wrong reason, such as their appearance, and don't realize they were bred with certain temperament and energy.

Bull dogs are a great example. Some people assume they are good attack/guard dogs but they are far from. They have very low energy, are friendly to EVERYONE and they are extremely needy. If someone breaks into your home, a bull dog is more likely to seek an ear-scratch from the intruder than bark or bite. There are always exceptions to the rules but it's better to seek out a breed for the entire package, not just for what they look like.

For the reasons I've stated, a large number of beautiful, pure bred animals are put in shelters that specialize in that breed.

I tend towards the mutts at the local shelter, however. I love my dogs.
We stopped at the animal shelter in Madisonville about a year ago. Wife wanted a cat. We ended up with a 2 pound cat and a 87 pound [way under weight] black German Shepard. He was on his way to get put down when I spotted him. Best dog I ever had. He is over 110 pounds now [about where he belongs] and smart as a whip.
[quote name='Ray Z' timestamp='1353288601' post='847887']
We stopped at the animal shelter in Madisonville about a year ago. Wife wanted a cat. We ended up with a 2 pound cat and a 87 pound [way under weight] black German Shepard. He was on his way to get put down when I spotted him. Best dog I ever had. He is over 110 pounds now [about where he belongs] and smart as a whip.
[/quote]

It's a long and boring backstory, but just a few months back I rescued a black German Shepherd who was also significantly underweight, at 84 lbs. Had some medical issues, but it looks like we've got a handle on them.

Don't run across too awful many black GSDs.
Wish we could save the world:(

Problem is there are still people who breed dogs.
Movies who feature a certain breed is not doing the dog world any favors either.
It breaks my heart that there are so many unwanted pets out there that end up in shelters.I guess being euthanized is better than being abused or just left to starve..
Kill shelters ,like Slaughterhouses are a nessesary evil:(
Guest AmericanWorkMule
Wow! ... horses, goats and pot bellied pigs?!
If only we had the land for that

[quote name='red dirt' timestamp='1353331627' post='848095']
I have two dogs that were scheduled to die, both are fantastic dogs. We also have other rescues, horses, goats and pot bellied pigs.
[/quote] Edited by AmericanWorkMule
Our pets are house pets. We go outside for a while 2 or 3 times a day. With King [the Shepard] Layla [our golden retriever] and Murphy [our overweight Yorke] our house if full enough. When I ask them if they want to go outside now, I end up trampled in the stampede to the door.
Our family has 2 rescues. A 55lb mutt my sister in law found running through traffic on Merchants Dr and a Shepherd, as seen in my avatar. The shepherd came from a local breed specific rescue. She weighed 50lbs when we adopted her. After some love (and lots of food!) she grew into her natural 85lb frame. Both of our dogs are approaching 12 yrs old and are slowing down, but we're all better off for finding each other. After we were settled into our comfy life of 4 (2 dogs + 2 people) we were surprised to be pregnant. From the first night we brought our daughter home from the hospital, the shepherd sleeps outside her door. I find that nearly as comforting as I lay down for bed as having my firearm nearby. Dogs love unconditionally, but rescues seem to understand they've gotten a second chance.