Hollywood doesn't know guns!

Guest CrazyLincoln

Guest CrazyLincoln

Just for fun, I wanted to start a thread about movie firearm inaccuracies. I'll start with a few well known and my favorites:

Die Hard 2

That punk pulled a Glock 7 on me! You know what that is? It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. It doesn't show up on your airport X-ray machines, and it costs more than you make here in a month!
Ronin
F!@#er sprayed his bullet with Teflon.

He was trying to stamp me ''paid in full''.

- ls that why it went through the vest ?

- Yeah.

You think you can stitch me up on your own ? lf you don't mind, l'm gonna pass out.

For those who don't already know. Teflon on bullets has the same effect as a copper jacket. It just works better in certain applications such as steel armor piercing bullets. aka "Cop killers" which have yet to have been used to kill a cop....

-In Shoot 'Em Up, Clive Owen's character ("Mr. Smith") mentions that his enemies have acquired a new gun which isn't supposed to be released for 6 months. The gun he speaks of, which he is holding, happens to be a 1911.

Please be specific on your replies. We could go on all day about how they never have to reload or rack the slide of an already loaded weapon. Lets see what we can come up with! ;)

Edited by CrazyLincoln
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To heck with Hollywood, just watch COPS sometimes. There is one that is on the commercials for the show where a black officer is looking up a stairwell with an automatic about 3 inches in front of his right eye! I saw the aftermatch of a National Guard soldier who was being "familiarized" with the 1911 do this same thing. Looked like he had taken a shot from a professional boxer right under the eye! You can't fix stupid!

I remember watching Crank with Jason Statham, and all things wrong with that movie aside, he points an XD at a guy threatening to shoot him. The problem was the cocking indicator on the back wasn't out. Kinda like the hammer down on a single action, not gonna do much with that.

Guest Verbal Kint
In shooter Mark Wahlberg cycles the action of his 82a1 after every shot, like a bolt action.

Actually, you're wrong on this one. :(

In the movie Shooter, Wahlberg uses a CheyTac (Cheyenne Tactical) M-200 sniper rifle chambered in it's own .408CheyTac round. It definitely was not a Barret rifle.

This little gem will run you over $11k if you want to add it to your Xmas list. :D

AM200-Heavy-Set-up.gif

Guest Verbal Kint
In the opening scene when he engages the helicopter it's an 82a1. Later in the movie he shoots the soup can with the Chey-tac.

I'll have to go back and watch the movie again. Never really paid attention to that rifle/scene. I just don't remember it being an 82a1, or him cycling the bolt on it. Very well could be.

Guest Grout

You have to look real close but in U 571 somebody has a 1911A1 that has the slide locked back and it has a full length guide rod.

I don't think anyone but me saw the Barrett in that movie, but it's there.

i went back and checked but it is there in the opening scene, its only used for a short amount of time though, and he does pull back the bolt handle like you would a bolt action. but the first sniper rifle he used looks like a remington 700 with a camo job on it. the main one he uses though is the cheytac 408.

With all due respect Verbal... you are wrong. In the opening scene, the sniper and his spotter are on a cliff overlooking a road. During this scene, the sniper engages a helicopter using a Barrett .50 and he does in fact cycle the rifle after each round. The CheyTac is not used until later in the movie when he vaporizes a perfectly good can of Dinty Moore soup.... but I digress.

Actually, you're wrong on this one. :)

In the movie Shooter, Wahlberg uses a CheyTac (Cheyenne Tactical) M-200 sniper rifle chambered in it's own .408CheyTac round. It definitely was not a Barret rifle.

This little gem will run you over $11k if you want to add it to your Xmas list. :rolleyes:

AM200-Heavy-Set-up.gif

Guest canynracer
I'll have to go back and watch the movie again. Never really paid attention to that rifle/scene. I just don't remember it being an 82a1, or him cycling the bolt on it. Very well could be.
With all due respect Verbal... you are wrong. In the opening scene, the sniper and his spotter are on a cliff overlooking a road. During this scene, the sniper engages a helicopter using a Barrett .50 and he does in fact cycle the rifle after each round. The CheyTac is not used until later in the movie when he vaporizes a perfectly good can of Dinty Moore soup.... but I digress.

I think he just said he didnt pay attention to that scene...:rolleyes:

Guest Verbal Kint
I think he just said he didnt pay attention to that scene...:rolleyes:

Yeah... thought we already summed that up, but guess not. :)

Guest Halfpint

I read somewhere (IMDB, I think) that the reason he had to cycle the bolt was because the blanks they were using weren't powerful enough to fully cycle the action on their own. Still, that just means they should have used stronger blanks.

Goof, I can understand. Goof + lack of effort to fix the goof they pretty much KNEW was there = propmaster should have been fired.

Three of my own:

In "The Punisher" (Thomas Jane version) Castle loads a 33-round mag into a Glock with a shoulder stock, then closes the slide by bumping it ON TOP with his fist.

In "Hard Target" (Van Damme movie) the character Pope gets shot while sitting in his car. Van Cleef is using a pump shotgun. He pulls the trigger, you hear the firing pin snap, possibly a quarter of a second delay, then the gun goes off. There are quite a few more in this film as well. --yes, I know there could be a hang-fire condition, but come on, re-shoot the take!

In "Resident Evil: Apocalypse," in the police station scene, Valentine reloads her pistol while talking to another officer. Maybe five seconds later, she puts another magazine the same pistol, without having fired a shot in between.

Guest GUTTERbOY

Open Range could have easily had perhaps the best gunfight sequence ever if they hadn't outfitted Kevin Costner with those high-capacity revolvers.

Guest tokarev

In "Blackhawk Down".

The two soldiers that are seperated from everyone else. There's a close up of them talking and you see that the SAW has a belt of crimped blanks hanging out of the left side. I was watching the movie in the theatre and I thought "No way!", but then they showed it again. Maybe I'm picky, but it kind of ruined the film for me.

I was tricked by an ex-wife into watching "Stakeout II" and there was a scene where a "bad guy" was going to take a shot with a Knight's Armament suppressed revolver rifle. But it sounded like a cannon and left bullet holes like a shotgun. It was a stupid movie anyway.

Oh! Any movie where someone twists on a "silencer" about the size of a c cell battery onto a snub-nosed revolver and all ya hear is "phessst".b