Most Favorite Gun you never bought?

Guest gcrookston

Guest gcrookston

A few years ago I was asked to appraise a collection of about 100 Mauser rifles from the 1890's to 1945. I was broke at the time and needed the fee to pay the bills.

Here is the one I wished I'd bought... It was a 1929 shooting prize (plack on other side of stock). Appraised at $3,500. Sold at Action for $3,575...

Rifle was "As new, no box, retaining 99% of original finish. Missing one keeper screw, otherwise flawless as refurbished prior to presentation. No Serial Number or other markings of any kind, save for presentation plack on Left side of stock...".

shootingprize.jpg

Have you ever lamented not buying something? I must be getting old, because these days I'll watch a gun for months that I want, and if it sells, well, I didn't need it. If it doesn't, well, okay, I will bring it home, but I seem to always find something I can use that I never expected.

Edited by gcrookston
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad, who served in the US Army in Korea, had his M1 Garand laying around the house for years. Some time ago he offered it to me. I said no. (I was young and stupid.) He gave it to my uncle. I kick myself in the butt on a daily basis for that misjudgment.

Everything I have is a favorite. That's part of my problem. However, the M1 Garand is right on top of the list. M1 Carbines after that.

I thought you said EVER!. Never list too long.

Edited by Garufa
Guest eyebedam

A little stainless colt mustang pocketlite I had about 10 yrs ago that I sold to a buddy for 200.00. I really liked that gun & his dumbazz lost it.

Guest Centennial

In the early 1990s, I was in GT Distributors and saw a new S&W Model 686 National Match revolver. I fell in love with that 5" barreled honey. I love L Frames, but didn't quite have the cash for the NM. They had several, but by the time I got the money, that were all sold. Ya can't buy 'em all.....

Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail, one of those in that first run with the little Patriot/minuteman on the side. I had a deposit on it, but due to getting married and all, I relinquished the gun ans just bought some reloading equipment with the deposit money.

I'm still bummed.

Ed Brown Commander Bobtail polished stainless steel, marked Custom by Ed Brown on the slide, I had one offered to me at a very reasonable price, but sadly did not have the money

Edited by willis68
Guest Major Pain

In 1971 I had a chance to buy a full auto M16 for $1200 all legal. I ended up buying a full auto MAC 10 original Powder Springs for $600. Well earlier this year I finally let my MAC go brought close to 4k but the M16 I couldn't afford then is bringing about 10k now. If I had just known.-------MP :lol:

Guest Grout

I feel your pain Major LOL.Back in 88 a local class 3 dealer had 3 XM177s.He wanted $1200 for each one.He also wanted the $1200 paid in full up front.I said okay I'll save up the money.I had the money saved and went back and this rich SOB was buying the last 2 he had when I walked in.I ended up blowing the money on booze and sluts. :lol: