Hanguard/Forearm Opinions

ruebixx

Looking for suggestions on what would be the best looking option for my newest build. Any ideas are appreciated and welcomed. Oh, and by the way the barrel will be a Matte Stainless Rainier Arms 14.5 incher with a black pinned/welded Battlecomp 1.5.

20121207_203406.jpg20121217_160955.jpg

Edited by ruebixx
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest twpayne75

Didn't know DD made a handguard without all the rails. When I did my most recent build I wanted to keep it simple. Figured if I didn't have four feet of rails I wouldn't mount four feet of shit on it. I ended up with a Troy Alpha. Hard to beat for the price. Looking forward to seeing yours completed.

0105130924_zps5d550d54.jpg

Yeah, I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Troy, but changed my mind because I didn't think it'd look right. Outside of the price I'm very happy with the purchase though. DD makes wonderful products and this rail is light and perfect for my project.
Guest twpayne75

Yeah, I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Troy, but changed my mind because I didn't think it'd look right. Outside of the price I'm very happy with the purchase though. DD makes wonderful products and this rail is light and perfect for my project.

Only thing I wonder about the DD is are there any handguards made for it. The Squid Grips actually do a pretty good job. Would not want to shoot it much without them.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest twpayne75

What kind of optic do you plan to run? After playing with mine in the above configuration I decided the light was to awkward to activate in the 6 o"clock position. So I changed it to the 12 o"clock like yours. I also decided I wanted a little magnification, so I went with a 1-4 scope.

0116131418_zps9e7652b1.jpg

With the light in the 12 o'clock position and this scope/mount, with the scope set on 1 power, the X300 was blocking the lower 1/3 of the sight picture. After some shooting, I ended up moving it to the 9 o'clock position here and pulling the scope back.

0118131106a_01_zpsb94a9fca.jpg

This way is extremely comfortable. Easy to access the light. And the added length to the AFG makes it more comfortable to hold for extended periods.

Thanks for the comments guys. Eventually I plan on running a Vortex Sparq in a riser mount, but I'm in no rush since I have the Magpul backups a primary sight system. Red, I have not shot it yet but I will be doing a range report when I do.