Outdoor Junction Cookeville gouging

Lumber_Jack

Yes true, but no one is selling a stock Chevy truck they paid $30k for last month for $60k today. Magpul has made it clear they did not want their dealers gouging.

Because there's not a market for them, if there was a possible chevy truck ban in the works and all the truck manufacturers were backordered by a year+, those farmers will pay a pretty penny to get what they want right now while there are still a few floating around. Chevy could say no price gouging and it would go about as far as the email they send out and that's it.

As I've said in multiple other threads about it, it's about personal impact and not principle... Cause hardly any of us here would care if iphone prices quadrupled overnight due to a shortage of screens.

People are obviously paying the prices. I stopped in there last Monday while running my route in that area, and they didn't have anything I needed/wanted. There was some guy picking through all the magazines on the wall, buying everything over 10-rounds. Edited by TripleDigitRide

Because there's not a market for them, if there was a possible chevy truck ban in the works and all the truck manufacturers were backordered by a year+, those farmers will pay a pretty penny to get what they want right now while there are still a few floating around. Chevy could say no price gouging and it would go about as far as the email they send out and that's it.

As I've said in multiple other threads about it, it's about personal impact and not principle... Cause hardly any of us here would care if iphone prices quadrupled overnight due to a shortage of screens.

My point is still the same. Yes the market is bearing those prices, but that doesn't mean I can't complain about it. You act like we just have to stand by and suck it up. I refuse to do that. I will say it now and forever, it's shitty for a store that gets a product at X and sold it for y, to now still get it for x and sell them for y*3. If magpul was charging them more for stock I'd understand, but they're not.

There's not even a ban in place yet,and people are jacking up prices on everything.It's not just the dealers,it seems like everybody is.If a 30 rd. AR mag is $40 or so now without a ban,how much will it be if they ACTUALLY do ban them.People need to calm down .I've seen people asking $600 to $800  for a SKS.Come on!

Jeff

[quote name="jeff43" post="891469" timestamp="1358750484"]There's not even a ban in place yet,and people are jacking up prices on everything.It's not just the dealers,it seems like everybody is.If a 30 rd. AR mag is $40 or so now without a ban,how much will it be if they ACTUALLY do ban them.People need to calm down .I've seen people asking $600 to $800  for a SKS.Come on!                                        Jeff[/quote] I suppose if there was a ban the prices would still fall significantly from what they are now. I mean, I remember purchasing an AK in '99 for $250 and that came with 7 x 30 rd mags + ammo. Sure, that was sort of a deal, but it wasn't uncommon to see something similar go for not much more. Pre-ban stuff was more pricey, but not like now where folks are asking double and triple what they're worth.

I suppose if there was a ban the prices would still fall significantly from what they are now. I mean, I remember purchasing an AK in '99 for $250 and that came with 7 x 30 rd mags + ammo. Sure, that was sort of a deal, but it wasn't uncommon to see something similar go for not much more. Pre-ban stuff was more pricey, but not like now where folks are asking double and triple what they're worth.

I rememeber those days,MAK90'S for $300 to $350,7.62x39 for $80 to $100 per 1000.9mm about $80 per 1000.You could afford to get out and shoot and have fun.Now the economy SUCKS,and everything is so high you can't afford to do anything.I don't see things ever getting better.

Jeff

Supply and demand.  If you don't want to pay the panic prices, you have three choices; buy before the panic, decide to do without or find a substitute, or wait until the panic (and prices) subside. 

Price gouging serves a useful purpose.  It causes demand to drop so that inventories can build back up to meet demand.  If sellers did NOT raise their prices, then there would be no incentive to find substitutes, do without, or wait.  In that case, it takes MUCH longer for inventories to accumulate to the point where stores actually have them on the shelves. 

If prices do not rise when demand increases and supply cannot meet it, then this is what ALWAYS happens.  Suppliers sell ONLY to their friends or those with influence.  Those people sell some of the product on the black market at much higher prices.  The consumer then has the option of either paying that higher price or doing without.  There is a reason that stores in Soviet Russia had long lines, empty shelves, and poor quality goods.

raising prices is one thing, tripling it is another.

Your right about the raising of prices Lumber Jack.I'm in good shape on everything.I don't need a thing,just think some of these prices are really sad and funny in a way.I see some of the prices people are asking for some rifles,pistols,and ammo,and you just start laughing.Some of them sound like they don't know exactly what they have the way they describe them,they just want to sell.

Edited by jeff43