Tempting...

poak

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

I had a P220 SAO Carry. It was a neat, albeit heavy gun. I think it was Massad Ayoob who compared it to being a modern alternative to the 1911 platform with much more reliability built into it. I would concurr with that statement.

That being said, now is a lousy time to get into shooting .45ACP unless you reload or don't mind spending nearly 50-100% more than the cost of 9mm ammunition to shoot an equal number of rounds. My own .45ACP is a benchwarmer anymore because of that.

I had a P220 SAO Carry. It was a neat, albeit heavy gun. I think it was Massad Ayoob who compared it to being a modern alternative to the 1911 platform with much more reliability built into it. I would concurr with that statement.

That being said, now is a lousy time to get into shooting .45ACP unless you reload or don't mind spending nearly 50-100% more than the cost of 9mm ammunition to shoot an equal number of rounds. My own .45ACP is a benchwarmer anymore because of that.

Yeah, I've got a 226 9mm that gets the most use of anything else I have. I just want a .45 because, well because I want one that's why!

• Administrator
Yeah, I've got a 226 9mm that gets the most use of anything else I have. I just want a .45 because, well because I want one that's why!

Then get a 1911 and shoot that cartridge in the gun it was meant for. :D

Guest Verbal Kint
Nein!

While I would like to own a 1911, it seems the Sig Kool-Aid has taken a strong grip on this one!

I'm a Sig and HK fan... heck, my first handgun ever was a Sig 229... but I'd definitely side with Tungsten and go for a 1911 first (and later the 220, if you still want one) if you want a .45ACP pistol.

It's truly apples and oranges, even when in the same caliber. The balance, weight, recoil, etc is just way better on a 1911. My wife picked up the Kimber I used to own (having only shot one .22 pistol before, years ago) and was putting them in the black in groupings that would rival half the shooters on this message board. Having shot Sigs before and knowing how they handle, I can accurately say she would not have done that with a Sig or an HK.

There's a reason the 1911 still prevails till this day. Pick one up and find out for yourself. :D

I agree with the 1911.

Get a full sized target model (Kimber comes to mind), and if you want to shoot it much, load for it. The 45 Auto is an easy to load, low pressure round.

There is not a more pleasurable shooting sidearm than the 1911. ;)

Most of the reason I prefer revolvers for fun shooting is not having to chase and lose brass.;)

Some training classes entail picking up literally thousands of rounds of brass. :D

If we do the class at an academy, trainees get the job.

On Police ranges, inmate trustees get the chores done.:D

Yeah, I've shot a few. A buddy of mine has a pretty nice Springfield G.I. that I've shot quite a few times. Another friend has a Kimber Eclipse Custom that I have yet to shoot.

I've got to admit, I'm pretty partial to the Springfield MC Operator!

So, 220 or 1911? Well, the real answer is...

BOTH!

I have a 220 Elite SAO Custom Shop and love it. I also have four 1911 platform guns.

I like my 220's best. But there's something about a 1911. So many modifications and

sizes. The 220 is a hefty pistol and does not fit smaller hands well. My wife does real

well with a 1911 and has a hard time with a 220.

Guest Brian@GunDepot

That is a very good price on a new pistol. I agree with owning the 1911 and the SIG comment as well. lol

I'm getting very fond of the new Sig 250 compact. I think I'm actually gonna replace my XD with it for daily carry.

That dealer is actually in violation of SIGs policy for advertising a new gun with that low of a buyout and could be stripped of their future shipments if they were turned in. Its probably an old stock gun, but still not worth the risk for a dealer imo.

Edited by Brian@GunDepot
Guest darkstar

Just to add more choices, you could get the best of both worlds and get a Sig Revolution, their version of a 1911. I've never owned one but have shot a friends (maybe a box or so) and for the limited amount of firing I did I really liked the way it felt. Or, you could try an H+K .45. I believe they make variants that have a decoker/saftey lever that will allow you to have a double action/single action (like a Sig 220) with the option of carrying cocked and locked (like a 1911).

But either way you can't go wrong with a 1911 or a 220.....or both