Buy low, Sell high, or sell never?

Okay,  what are you all's thoughts on whether to cash in on the pandemonium?  I am considering taking a few 30 rounders to the Nashville gun show tomorrow.  I could stand to let a few go.   Is it foolish?  I think the whole exec order or new laws thing could go a couple of ways: 

1.  nothing really changes, so prices return to normal in a few weeks/months.  or at least within 15% of what they were.

2.  They pass something like the old AWB.  I am not sure, but under that, you could not sell anything outlawed, I think.

3.  They only make new manufacture of high-caps illegal, so mag prices will keep soaring.

What are yall's thoughts and what are ya'll doing?

Also, this is not some backdoor attempt to sell anything without benefactor status. I will not sell anything to anyone from here.  Do not PM me.

That's the risk of any market. It can be a crap shoot. Of course with this one you have less risk. I wouldn't be worrying about any ban

getting worked out through the courts, because that's where they will visit. If you want to make some money and there's a sucker out

there, become the proverbial P.T. Barnum. Don't worry about me, though. I ain't buying. Been down that road. :D

Just do what you are comfortable in doing. Remember though, that you may be in the same position at a different time from the one

you are selling to, and I would consider that when using the "How to Win Friends and Influence People" after you took their money.

Some people have longer memories than others. I have my list of who I will never, ever buy again from.

Just sayin.

Just do what you are comfortable in doing. Remember though, that you may be in the same position at a different time from the one

you are selling to, and I would consider that when using the "How to Win Friends and Influence People" after you took their money.

Some people have longer memories than others. I have my list of who I will never, ever buy again from.

Just sayin.

Absolutely correct. There's someone on here right now selling a gun I'd like to own but I won't do business with him based on his past behavior.

Not selling.  Considered it, since I was given an early Christmas gift of a pile of H&K AR mags (the ones that were stupid expensive before Newtown), but I'd rather have them in my possession should our Ear Leader decide to do something stupid.

Small sidebar: are you talking about the H&K maritime mags? If so are they worth the premium price? I've never had the chance to handle any of them.

If you are convinced this is a bell curve business cycle and that we are nearing the top of the bell curve price due to the threat of the government restrictions, then most definitely sell, cash in, etc.  However, looking through my prisim, me personally I am going to sit this out, becuase I think the inventory that I have, in the end I will reflect and be glad I did not cash in.  My basic premise is that the things I have bought for my hobby/self defence was for me and my family, not to cash in. 

• Like 1

If you need some cash then now seems like a good time to sell.

If you bought your mags to make money now also seems like a good time to sell.

If you are into firearms for the sport and enjoyment of shooting, it is a dangerous time to be selling. What whens if it becomes illegal and you can not replace it.

• Like 1

there comes a point when you have more than you need.  If you have 1000 or something, for example, selling a few seems reasonable.  If you have 10 and sell half, that seems foolish.   The numbers vary from person to person but you get the idea.... 

Let me say this:  if the ban is panic, and you sell, then you may get a high price today and emerge unharmed, able to buy new in a year.  If the ban is real, you may be selling today for a LOW price compared to a year from now.   If you sell now and the ban is real, then you cannot replace them legally.  All that to me says hold them for now.  There will be people that sell today, trying for the quick buck rather than the long haul, but selling right now seems like the worst answer any way I look at it. 

Edited by Jonnin

Small sidebar: are you talking about the H&K maritime mags? If so are they worth the premium price? I've never had the chance to handle any of them.

No, not worth the price.  Heavy and unreliable IMO.  Easily damaged and good luck getting any replacement parts.  I would stick with reputable mags like USGI, MagPul, TD, etc.

Absolutely correct. There's someone on here right now selling a gun I'd like to own but I won't do business with him based on his past behavior.

I really wish you would out the SOB, but I understand. I've become wary of a few, myself.

How I play poker (and I always seem to lose):

When I win, I keep half, gamble/invest the other half.

So with ammo; I happened to buy some 22lr a few months ago.  I sold about half to someone at a gunshow; used that money to essentially pay for my original purchase.  Now I have a few bricks of 22 ammo for keeps that is essentially 'free to me'.

for the past several mango seasons it has been buy low and keep.  now it is hard to find any buy low deals.  if you are flat broke and have no other way to get any money then i guest you could sale.  but with all the crap going on and our so call leaders i would not sale anything.

Guest Frightful1

I don't buy anything I am not going to keep anyway.  Never thought of making a profit on it.  I was offered 2x my purchase price for my S/A EMP .40 though.  Hmmm!

Edited by Frightful1

I am trading my stuff that I don't use for things I want. Putting a buy price on it because everything material has a price and I price it as though I would decided the next day to replace what I just sold. Though, if prices continue to go up, I may just end up selling off some extra's I have around to purchase something I want or need. I haven't come to the point of where I would sell the gun safe queens that will never be fired. Probably never will as I have al intentions of gifting them down to my kids.

I did see this all coming with Obama's reelection and started buying in bulk the next day. I think I have gone overboard but my wife who has started shooting again says that I didn't has absolutely no qualms with what I have purchased. I love my wife <3

No, not worth the price.  Heavy and unreliable IMO.  Easily damaged and good luck getting any replacement parts.  I would stick with reputable mags like USGI, MagPul, TD, etc.

I haven't used them, just cleaned them out - had some sand and other scunge left over from "real-world" usage.   They feel solid and lock up tight, and the coating has prevented any corrosion, even though several have quite a bit of the black worn off.  Just to see if the coating was still effective after heavy use, I ran several of the mag bodies through the dishwasher sans internal parts.  Nary a rust spot.  Regarding reliability, the guys I know who used the HK mags overseas swore by them, and they are enlisted infantry with multiple combat tours.  If they didn't break them, I won't.

As far as whether or not they're worth the HK premium, I can't say.  For someone like me who will use them on the range in light duty, I doubt it, but I didn't pay $60 for them.  Frankly, I'll never push these to levels where I could evaluate performance at extremes against USGI or pmags, which is obviously where a high-dollar magazine has to shine to justify the increase in cost.

I haven't used them, just cleaned them out - had some sand and other scunge left over from "real-world" usage.   They feel solid and lock up tight, and the coating has prevented any corrosion, even though several have quite a bit of the black worn off.  Just to see if the coating was still effective after heavy use, I ran several of the mag bodies through the dishwasher sans internal parts.  Nary a rust spot.  Regarding reliability, the guys I know who used the HK mags overseas swore by them, and they are enlisted infantry with multiple combat tours.  If they didn't break them, I won't.

That is exactly the use I/we put them through and ours didn't make it.  Breakage wasn't 100% but it was a significant amount.  It is also a well known issue with the HK mags.

Edited by scoutfsu

A basic economic principle is that future uncertainty in a market produces spikes in prices.  I don't see anything but uncertainty in the future of sporting goods/ammo/components/guns/mags.  I am still shooting out of a stash of primers that I bought pre-obama for $19 per thousand.

Guest josie22412

I've been pondering the same question. What did a 30 rd. AR mag. sell for during the last ban? Or, was it even legal to sell them among individuals? Could you even find them for sale?

I buy only stuff I like and think prices will hold steady or go up. I have sold a few mags and some ammo to try and get some reloading gear. So what I do is usually sell something I think I have more than enough of or am not using. But that cash always goes back into something gun related I want or think I need.

Jason