.22RL Shortage

[quote name="mcurrier" post="894342" timestamp="1358997432"]I hears ya...point was...he probably didn't get the point you were trying to make if you didn't tell him, otherwise, to him it's just business as usual.[/quote] You're right. I did tell him that his prices were way to high, but i didnt tell him i knew what he was doing. That's what I should have done, but I was totally po'd and wasn't thinking straight i guess and just left. I did spread the word to everybody I knew, but ammo was tight and I'm sure he was selling it like crazy or he wouldn't have been wiping out the Walmart every week.

I've bought quite a bit in the past month... mainly because I purchased a 22lr bolt for my AR, it was that or buy a 22lr rifle... and since i already had a rifle that would take a 22lr bolt thats what i opted for... a bolt takes up less room in the safe than another rifle... 

Have you used it yet? If so how do you like it?

.22 is really hard for me to find as well.

It is elusive everywhere. .22 ammo in all forms except rat/bird shot. I went to Larry's pistol and Pawn down in Huntsville today, did see a supply of .22 ammo in 525 bulk for $24 a pack, limit one per customer per day though.

They have plenty 9mm, 380, .40, 7.62, .45 ammo in stock. Just limiting the ammount you can buy per day. Got to give themsome respect for that. At least they aren't like Gander mtn, where they had 10 cases of .22 come in, 3 people ahead of me bought all in stock.  I personally hope these people just buying stuff to hoard or resell, this hoopla blows upin their faces. (not literally, but i hope they get to a point where they can't sell it for anymore than they paid for it).

Eventually things will get back to normal, or near normal.

This time I learned my lesson "real gooder"!

For the last six months I've planned on buying a Ruger 10/22 for an Appleseed class I wanted to take this spring, but didn't pull the trigger so to speak. Got a really nice Browning "T" bolt single shot that's very accurate but... My understanding is it's very difficult to score "rifleman" with a single shot .22 in Appleseed scoring.

Fortunately, I have about 1,000 rounds or so of .22 squirreled away for those infrequent occasions I shoot my .22. Even have a couple of boxes of Western Auto .22LR I bought for 27 cents a box back in the early 60's! A few years ago I fired a few of them and they still went bang. Same with my 1960's era Western Auto 12 ga. paper shells, bang!

I would also add that, at eleven years old after cashing in my glass soda bottles I hunted for @ 2 cents each, walked into Western Auto and plopped down .27 cents and walked out the door with a box of .22's. My how times have changed?

Edited by Dennis1209
  • Like 1
Guest Fruit jar

I have my dad's Western Auto bolt action single shot 22 s rifle. He bought it in 53 for $8., still have some shorts that my uncle gave me that cost 10 cent a box from years ago. Got a box of Remington shorts with a .50 sticker on it.

[quote name="Wyldk2" post="895126" timestamp="1359073472"]I have a few boxes of .22 ammo when TG&Y was still in business. Some i inheirited from my uncle. Still shoots the same.   Just wish they were still $1.00 a box ( still have the pricestickers on them).[/quote] Homer was good about hanging onto stuff. I picked up a.243 from Uncle Larry and he threw in 12 boxes of ammo. And I'm not sure but i imagine he has a couple thousand .22. Kenneth too. You seen his yard? Hoardin' is in our blood, lol.

Federal Champion 525 box .22LR $39.99 +$15shipping - Not cheap at all but if you need some here you go (14 boxes in stock). I actually bought 2 boxes so shipping was $20 for two. My total came to $0.097/rd...crazy!

I called them after making my buy now purchase, paid over the phone this morning, and they said it would ship Monday. FYI, they were quick to answer the phone and nice to deal with.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=327435235

Edited by BrianJ

Federal Champion 525 box .22LR $39.99 +$15shipping - Not cheap at all but if you need some here you go (14 boxes in stock). I actually bought 2 boxes so shipping was $20 for two. My total came to $0.097/rd...crazy!

I called them after making my buy now purchase, paid over the phone this morning, and they said it would ship Monday. FYI, they were quick to answer the phone and nice to deal with.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=327435235

I tell you what at these prices I've almost thought about cashing out.... I guess I'm glad I took advantage of all those deals Cabela's would do. 

The poor 10/22 has been left at home for every range visit. Boxes of .22 just seem to disappear into the void with that sucker ;) Any .22 use is in the Walther P22 now.

[quote name="Citizen_B" post="896637" timestamp="1359219998"]Wal Mart in Franklin is now limiting to 3 boxes per customer as well. Unfortunately they only had about 5 boxes of odd calibers in the case as of yesterday. Hopefully the craziness will slow down soon.[/quote] Next time I go in any WM I'm gonna buy the 1-2 boxes of Remington 7mm Rem Mag 150gr core loks and 22 shorts just so the cases will be completely empty. Thats what i shoot in my 7 mag any way and a single shot 10/22 will save ammo.

what time of day are the walmart horders buying up the ammo?

Seems to me to be inconsistent. The truck arrives midweek, but it's up to each store to sort and stock the ammo for sale.

I was at the ammo counter in Turkey Creek at 8am yesterday after a report of .22 at 11pm the night before. All were gone. Magiccarpetride said there was ammo at 9:30 that wasn't there at 8, but was gone by 12 when Major Kong got there.

I can't find a pattern to any store. I truly think night shift employees at sme stores are getting first crack at some of this ammo

Yesterday a friend of mine suggested that the .22LR shortage may be occurring because people are deliberately conserving their other caliber ammo.  Because they still want to shoot, .22LR becomes the obvious choice.  This sounds plausible to me. 

[quote name="mootw" post="897227" timestamp="1359292847"]Yesterday a friend of mine suggested that the .22LR shortage may be occurring because people are deliberately conserving their other caliber ammo.  Because they still want to shoot, .22LR becomes the obvious choice.  This sounds plausible to me. [/quote] That's me, I don't want to pay $20+ for a box of 9mm ball right now so .22lr is all that's getting it's trigger pulled. I have plenty of centerfire but have this OCD thing about replacing whatever I shoot from my stock immediately lol.