PayPal closing accounts

OT - kind of

Several years ago I had my PayPal account frozen. I immediantly emailed them asking why. Their reply to me was that they do not allow purchases from "those" type of establishments that I had made a purchase from and that my account would be frozen for an undetermined amount of time. The email mystified me, so I called them.

On the phone I finally got a hold of a real person instead of a computer menu that ran one in circles. I asked them point blank about why my account was frozen. They then started to explain to me that I had made "adult" purchases from a store and at this time they do not allow that. I was totally confused because I had never made "adult" purchases and I told them so. The rep told me that we need to look into possible theft of my information. Out of curiousity I asked them the name of the business where the purchase was made.

"Bimbos", was their reply.

I sat their for a moment dumbfounded and then because it was so absurb started laughing. I explained to them that Bimbos was not an adult store, but a local business that sold fireworks, gas, and sandwhiches. Yes, I had made a purchase there, the wife and I had been hungry and we bought a few subs there one day a few weeks ago. I asked them to please confirm what I had told them and to call the business and gave them their phone number.

It still took about a week more before they unfroze my account.

PayPal can be downright silly at times. LOL!

I know how easy CCs and the like are in this day and age, but it really gives control and power to lots who do not need or deserve it as well.

Oh for the good old days where cash was king and we could decide what to do with it.

Oh for the good old days where cash was king and we could decide what to do with it.

Yeah, too bad that durn interwebnet thang got in the way. ;)

Btw, I don't know of any merchant that shuns cash these days if you want to walk in the door with it, so seems to me you can operate the same way as the "good old days" iffen you want to.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

OT - kind of

Several years ago I had my PayPal account frozen. I immediantly emailed them asking why. Their reply to me was that they do not allow purchases from "those" type of establishments that I had made a purchase from and that my account would be frozen for an undetermined amount of time. The email mystified me, so I called them.

On the phone I finally got a hold of a real person instead of a computer menu that ran one in circles. I asked them point blank about why my account was frozen. They then started to explain to me that I had made "adult" purchases from a store and at this time they do not allow that. I was totally confused because I had never made "adult" purchases and I told them so. The rep told me that we need to look into possible theft of my information. Out of curiousity I asked them the name of the business where the purchase was made.

"Bimbos", was their reply.

I sat their for a moment dumbfounded and then because it was so absurb started laughing. I explained to them that Bimbos was not an adult store, but a local business that sold fireworks, gas, and sandwhiches. Yes, I had made a purchase there, the wife and I had been hungry and we bought a few subs there one day a few weeks ago. I asked them to please confirm what I had told them and to call the business and gave them their phone number.

It still took about a week more before they unfroze my account.

PayPal can be downright silly at times. LOL!

Now, that I can believe.  This is an eBay gripe, but since PayPal and eBay are the same entity, it applies.  I had a holster listing on eBay cancelled and my listing fees forfeited with no explanation.  I called eBay and was told I had violated terms of service by having a firearm in my listing photo, which is prohibited, and I didn't specify that the firearm wasn't for sale.  I looked at the photo and saw it was a solid cast aluminum dummy gun.  I told eBay that the "firearm" was a completely non-functioning cast aluminum dummy gun, and they said it didn't matter because they can't tell the difference between a dummy gun and a real firearm.  I then made a choice comment about the overall ignorance of someone who can't tell the difference between a real gun and a solid hunk of gun shaped aluminum.  Regardless, I lost the argument.  So now, every listing I make has a disclaimer in big bold letters stating that the "nonfunctioning dummy gun is for product demonstration purposes only and is not part of the auction."

all paypal transactions as CASH/GIFT and your fine,....got money for plenty of firearms that way

Same thing I do, but only with TGO members.  I am sure we get our share of dirtbags at times, but the staff here do a good job of keeping them on the run.