What should be the minimal shooting skill one must demonstrate to carry concealed

Guest GLOCKGUY

What should be the minimal shooting skill one must demonstrate to carry concealed  

58 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the minimal shooting skill one must demonstrate to carry concealed

• No SkillsTest
    • Simple/Easy
    • Moderate
    • Difficult
    • Extremely Skilled
    • i dont care i already have mine

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

simple/easy. the government really shouldnt put a restriction on us to be able to carry but i do think that they should be able to operate the firearm and know all functions. i.e. know how the safety works, know how hard sights work, how magazine release and slide release works, how to clear a jam in a semi auto

Guest GLOCKGUY
simple/easy. the government really shouldnt put a restriction on us to be able to carry but i do think that they should be able to operate the firearm and know all functions. i.e. know how the safety works, know how hard sights work, how magazine release and slide release works, how to clear a jam in a semi auto
i agree and disagree i think ya you should be able to at least shoot straight to get your HCP but i dont think its any of the states business if you know all functions to firearms

I think you should be able to hit what you are aiming at.

For public safety and for all weapons permit holder's sake we don't need people who can't hit their target spraying the surrounding area and causing a bad situation to become even worse.

Guest ProguninTN

Know the law. The Code of TN is available for viewing for free on the internet. I wish more people would take the time to read it. BTW, we have carry, not concealed carry.

Guest GLOCKGUY
Know the law. The Code of TN is available for viewing for free on the internet. I wish more people would take the time to read it. BTW, we have carry, not concealed carry.

ya i know its carry not concealed i trid to change it but it was to late

That they are old enough to possess the gun. Why should a "right" involve rules?

age has nothing to do with being qualified or experienced.

an 'hcp' license is not a right but a privlege earned.

a gun in the hands of an unqualified person is as dangerous as one in the hands of a criminal.

i voted moderate and that's my opinion---and im sticking with it.:2cents:

;) bob

Guest GLOCKGUY

That they are old enough to possess the gun. Why should a "right" involve rules?

so what your saying is their should be no rules at all for are rights. then that would mean that anyone can carry even a lets say a 6 year old because with out rules then there will be no rule that you have to be 21 to carry. and with out rules any kid could just go out and buy a handgun because owning a gun is a right to ant it. their has to be some reasonable rules

Edited by GLOCKGUY

None. a one time test doesn't mean anything anyway and if that is the case then it will be short order for mandatory continuing education for permit holders.

I don't think it should be any different than for a drivers license, since some view it as a privilege. No matter how much "training" is involved you can't teach character or responsibility and mandating training wouldn't do anything in those regards anyway.

I hate to jump in here and throw yet another rock under the rails of this thread, but this thread is about what shooting skills level should someone demonstrate to be able to carry and not if it is a right. Which according to Heller it still isn't. But maybe one day it will be.

Not sure about a shooting skill... but as long as a person is a law-abiding citizen, can see well enough to distinguish a threat and hit it, and has the dexterity to pull a trigger, they should not be prohibited from owning/carrying a weapon (as opposed to 'given permission' to do so).

Guest GLOCKGUY
Not sure about a shooting skill... but as long as a person is a law-abiding citizen, can see well enough to distinguish a threat and hit it, and has the dexterity to pull a trigger, they should not be prohibited from owning/carrying a weapon (as opposed to 'given permission' to do so).

i agree 100%

Guest ProguninTN
I hate to jump in here and throw yet another rock under the rails of this thread, but this thread is about what shooting skills level should someone demonstrate to be able to carry and not if it is a right. Which according to Heller it still isn't. But maybe one day it will be.

Overlooked, that part. :2cents:

I think I'll have to go with molonlabetn on this one.

permit aside...........let's just talk about common sense.

I diplomatically tell my HCP students that if they can't put 33 holes in the paper, in broad daylight, on a standing still paper target that is not moving or shooting back.............a gun may not be the defensive option for them.

I do believe there should be some minimum level of competency and proficiency with the handgun, particularly safety. If you're in a gunfight with a BG and you shoot yourself.................you're still SHOT !

Guest nraforlife
permit aside...........let's just talk about common sense.

I diplomatically tell my HCP students that if they can't put 33 holes in the paper, in broad daylight, on a standing still paper target that is not moving or shooting back.............a gun may not be the defensive option for them.

I do believe there should be some minimum level of competency and proficiency with the handgun, particularly safety. If you're in a gunfight with a BG and you shoot yourself.................you're still SHOT !

But a 12 gauge pump is to heavy to carry all day long

Edited by nraforlife
Guest janwbrown616

I believe anyone that wants to carry should have a chance, but, I also think they should know the laws, and be responsible enough to know when to use one.

They should also be able to take responsibility for their actions. (A bullet fired COULD be a dead body somewhere)

I think another problem is after the states decide to regulate gun carry they have taken on the liability to make sure each person that can carry will do so responsible.

Too many people watch too much tv and believe all the gun tricks they see.

Guest Grout
I voted for Alaska and Vermont carry. First, carry is a right and not legitimately subject to licensing any more than freedom of speech. Second, I haven't heard of any bloodbaths caused by carry in AK or VT.

I agree,you just hit the nail on the head with a 5 lb sledge hammer.

Guest nraforlife
I voted for Alaska and Vermont carry. First, carry is a right and not legitimately subject to licensing any more than freedom of speech. Second, I haven't heard of any bloodbaths caused by carry in AK or VT.

I agree, its just a shame that VT seems to be a haven for pedophiles.

Guest pjblurton

Honestly, I feel more comfortable knowing that if someone has gone through the significant time and expense to obtain a permit to carry a handgun in this state, they should at least demonstrate that they can hit the broad side of a barn...

I was blown away (pardon the pun) at the number of people nervous about the scoring required to pass the range portion of the carry class. I could have thrown rocks well enough to pass the requirements currently in place.

I don't think they need to be an uber-qualified gun nut, but you need to shoot better than you have to now for certain. All 48 of my rounds were inside the 8 ring of a B27 human silhouette target and I felt that was a marginal day of shooting.