Suppressed Rifle + / - $450 / Ammo $8.95 per 250

Fourtyfive

How much quieter is it than your RWS 34?

Does it have have any recoil?

Does it feel lighter than your 34? IS it lighter?

What are your thoughts on having to pump it up? Better or worse than a springer?

It looks really nice and the accuracy seems to be going well.

5 times quieter

No recoil

Prob heavier , 6.2 lbs. plus scope. Can't compare , gave 34 to son yesterday.

The pumping is no prob , the accuracy and silence makes up for it.
  • Like 1

I think the key to why it's legal is the firearm part. Air rifles aren't considered firearms

Yeah, but if that's the distinction, you should be able to buy any suppressor to adapt to air rifle without a tax stamp. But you can't.

- OS

Yeah, but if that's the distinction, you should be able to buy any suppressor to adapt to air rifle without a tax stamp. But you can't.

- OS

But you CAN buy suppressors designed for air rifles without a tax stamp.  If you put them on a firearm, it's illegal.  But to further complicate the issue, BATF says that if you CAN put them on a firearm, they require the $200 tax stamp.  People have gone to jail for buying an airgun suppressor without paying that $200 tax.  Even though there is no law saying that it required for an airgun.

No, it's not right or fair.  If you expect the law and/or government to be fair, prepare yourself for a lot of disappointment in life.

http://www.pyramydair.com/article/Airgun_silencers_What_s_the_big_deal_August_2006/32

• Like 1

But you CAN buy suppressors designed for air rifles without a tax stamp.  If you put them on a firearm, it's illegal.  But to further complicate the issue, BATF says that if you CAN put them on a firearm, they require the $200 tax stamp.  People have gone to jail for buying an airgun suppressor without paying that $200 tax.  Even though there is no law saying that it required for an airgun.

No, it's not right or fair.  If you expect the law and/or government to be fair, prepare yourself for a lot of disappointment in life.

http://www.pyramydair.com/article/Airgun_silencers_What_s_the_big_deal_August_2006/32

Yeah, thanks for that. I had never really thought of the issue before, not being an "air gun guy", until threeeighty's original post. 

Dumb part is that "silencers" ever got associated with "bad guys" in the first place.

The frigging gummit ought to be promoting the untaxed and increased use of them merely as a matter of health, prevention of hearing damage. Imagine the typical range where half the firing going on was through cans. Or even "can only ranges", would sure be nicer for neighboring residents, etc.

I've also seen it said many times that many European countries actually promote their use rather than restrict them for sport shooting, as mentioned in the article.

Gaylord is wrong about this, though:

If that silencer has no serial number, it becomes a firearm without a serial number - the possession of which is a criminal offense.  It's only a criminal offense to remove an existing serial number.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

The frigging gummit ought to be promoting the untaxed and increased use of them merely as a matter of health, prevention of hearing damage. Imagine the typical range where half the firing going on was through cans. Or even "can only ranges", would sure be nicer for neighboring residents, etc.

I've also seen it said many times that many European countries actually promote their use rather than restrict them for sport shooting, as mentioned in the article.

I agree with you on this, I have even said to others that once we get past this assault weapons ban b.s. that pro 2a supporters should go on the "offensive" one issue I think should be addressed is legalizing suppressors for hunting and recreational use without the big tax stamp and background check. Criminals get their hands on suppressors if they want them but the tax keeps me from getting one, same argument as the awb.

Whoa! $200 for a bike pump?? That's pretty steep! So how many pumps do you estimate for a full charge? Will the air chamber in the rifle hold that charge at the proper PSI over time (such as a few days to weeks)?

The sticker shock is due to the fact that it will obtain pressures of 3500 +. If you do not run your pressure down past around 2000 from 3000 (30 shots for me presently) it takes about 45 pumps to get back to 3000.

It is recommended to leave it pressurized all the time for seals to stay seated.

So this is what it is going to come to when I run out of .22LR ammo?  Looks like we might all end up like Euro folk, firearms and real ammo for the rich folk, muzzle loaders and air guns for commoners.  Like those "nutty" end of times shows, I better get my bow out.  It will be blessing won't it, when only the rich, military and police have firearms?  I'll feel all cuddly and safe.

I happened to be in Bosnia 3 years before any regular American troop units.  I probably should not have written that letter to then Pres. Clinton after reading in newspapers that there were no American soldiers in Bosnia in early '93.  The dialogue in the link below is found on many web sites. 

http://www.tacticalintelligence.net/blog/shtf-survival-qa-a-first-hand-account.htm

• 2 months later...

We shoot air rifles a lot. Shooting a .177 in the wind is kind of like shooting a .308 long distance. If shooting .177, get the heaviest pellet you can and don't be as concerned with the speed. It will be more accurate than the lighter ones. We shoot .177 pellets out to 100 yards surprising accuracy.