Student suspended over picture of gun

FLORENCE, AZ -  A high school student in Florence said he has been suspended because of a picture of a gun.

Daniel McClaine Jr., a freshman at Poston Butte High School, said he saved the picture as his desktop background on his school-issued computer.

A teacher noticed it and turned him in.

The picture shows an AK-47 on top of a flag.

Read more: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_central_southern_az/florence/florence-student-suspended-over-picture-of-gun#ixzz2JrokBavf

I'm waiting for the student that is suspended for *thinking* about a gun.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

McClaine said the gun is not his. He’s interested in joining the military and said he found it on the internet.

smilielol5.gifIf he thinks that is okay for the desktop on a school owned computer, I think he might have trouble finding the recruiting office.

On a more serious note; Zero tolerance is out of control.

smilielol5.gifIf he thinks that is okay for the desktop on a school owned computer, I think he might have trouble finding the recruiting office.

On a more serious note; Zero tolerance is out of control.

Doesn't that really depend on what the school's written policy is about desktop backgrounds? I doubt there was one.

Probably is now.

Guest 556or762
Wouldn't this be covered by freedom of speech/expression? I see people all over with shirts that have guns on em or stickers in the shape of a gun on their vehicle. I think that might be overreacting a bit, possibly ask him to remove it explain the reason why and if your really a prick call the parents. Hell when I was in high school most guys that drove to school has a deer rifle or shotgun in the back window of their truck.

Journalism is absolutely dead, it's just so pathetic.

This morning (2/4/13), FOX News .COM headlines - STUDENT SUSPENDED FOR PICTURE OF GUN, AMERICAN FLAG

Then, also within their written piece they again state that an "American flag" was used.

The original article from the local reporting agency does NOT state that an American flag was used, neither does the video in their report does not show an American flag, but a different flag.

I am just sick of the sloppiness of so-called news media, including FOX.  Aside from most having a biased agenda, they are all incompetent.  I can pick out stuff like this all day long, including from FOX.  Pathetic.

------------------------

student_gun_american_flag.png

-------------------

Link to FOX piece which again states that an American flag was used - http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/02/04/high-school-student-suspended-for-making-desktop-background-gun-picture/?test=latestnews

Link to local reporting agency article which does NOT mention anything about an American flag - http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_central_southern_az/florence/florence-student-suspended-over-picture-of-gun

Jesus Christ....WTF is the matter with people? With a thought process like this it's no wonder there is no turning back to a decent America. Bend over boys and kiss your ass goodbye....there's no hope.

I hears ya, but... it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings.  There's always hope.  It just comes in different calibers.