Getting carry permit.

Guest tommy62

Just show up. The test is easy and if you can halfway shoot you can pass the shooting part of the test. If you have a gun you are comfortable shooting take it and a box of ammo. If not, rent a range .22.

Feb 23 at rifle range road. Looking forward to the class. What do I need to work on to prepare?

Nothing, assuming you can hit a torso at 3, 7, 15 yards most of the time. Which most people can do after a couple of shots if they're never even shot a gun before.

- OS

Exactly. I know for some of us it is like putting our glasses on every day or putting our cell phones in our pockets. I'm a teacher in an inner city school and for me it is very serious. I want to uphold a sense of both family and community.
Guest ndhill1976
Just listen and observe all gun safety rules.

I just took my HCP class again last week (let mine expire by mistake), and the instructor said that they just changed the rules for shooting. We shot at 3, 5, and 7 yards. We also used all 50 rounds instead of 48. I think it was 20, 20, 10.

What do I need to work on to prepare?

Depends on the instructor. I recommend watching some really boring video's and practice staying awake. :snore:

Seriously, the instructors usually work to help everyone pass so don't be concerned and have fun as the others have said. Of course, class or not, always practise to improve your shooting skills.

I took mine at Pellissippi a year ago and shot out at the range on Rifle Range Road. The instructor was a retired LEO and range saftey officer and really easy going. We had to watch the lame videos but he also brought in a dozen hand guns of different types, calibers and sizes to show everyone the different types (if you had not seen them before). He seemed to go out of his way to make the couple of revolver guys feel welcome and not out of place with all of the semi auto guys, not that they should have to care, but it was a nice thought. He also covered some real life situations and out comes that made the class more interesting then I had expected. The range was all business but was a piece of cake. They lined us all up (15 I think) and we fired at the same time, just keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready (and told) to shoot. We did that at all four distances than took down the papers and left. I hope this helps ease any worry. I know I was worried before I went.
Guest MiniGunGal

Congratulations on exercising your 2nd Amendment Rights!   :woohoo:   I've had mine for years - even convinced my Father to get his about seven years ago when he was 80!  When his came up for renewal, he "hemmed and hawed" about renewing...

I "reminded" him that it's not something just anyone can have.  If it weren't for our Constitutional Rights, our Military Men and Women fighting to keep us Free, and those Beautiful Stars and Stripes,   :usa:   we might be like Australia, or Piers Morgan's beloved "Merry ole England," defenseless and with no way to protect our families, homes, and own lives.

Again - Congratulations on your commitment to put one more vote in the "I believe guns SAVE lives" column!

You won't have a problem passing the class. I would like to suggest that after your class you buy a range membership and practice no less than once a month. The responsibility of carrying a firearm doesn't end with the HCP class.
  • 2 weeks later...
Ok, I took the hand gun carry permit class this past Sat the 23rd and wanted to post some observations and thoughts.

- first of all, thanks for all of the TGO members that took time to post on this thread. Your advice and insight came in very handy.
- I was very excited about taking the class and arrived at the John Sevier Hunter Ed Center around 830 and was greeted by a VERY nice lady named Pat. I commented on her fun bright pink fleece. Pat was very knowledgeable and cared about informing us all she knew and was eager for all of us to pass the class. I even heard her tell one lady she would stay late and help her pass the shooting portion. Pat also, at one point on the range, did the Hokey-Pokey. :)
- our instructor Doug was very knowledgeable and took the class serious. He was sometimes confusing to me, like when he described legal carry vs permit carry, but that could have been just me. He did a great job preparing us for the test.
- I took a crap ton of notes
- Doug was very much into the seriousness of choosing to carry a firearm. VERY SERIOUS HE WAS. I learned a great deal of valuable information. F.A.B.
- he answered EVERY question we had.
The class had 39 people in it.
- the class was mostly made up of women. I'd say it was 60-40 women of all ages and backgrounds.
- there was a musician friend of mine there. I had a feeling I'd see someone I knew. We shared some knowledge and I told him about TGO
- the shooting part was a blast. The target is much much smaller than it was last month. Doug said it was because of a new law.
- this was the first time I'd had a chance to take my PX4 9 to a range. I had to aim high when very close in. That thing knocked the center out.
- their 22's kept malfunctioning. But the guys were on it!!
- all- in- all I loved the class. I must have my wife take it.
- we were running around 630 quitin' time.
- I need to get a membership there. ( thanks Razz).
  • Like 1

Sounds like you had a good time! Now all you gotta do is go sit at the DMV, pay, get printed, and the worst part, wait. I hear they are getting them back within a month though. I am glad you had a good experience at the range. Every time I have gone there most of the people were grumpy! Told me my M44 was too loud. I could tell they wanted me to leave, but I didn't care!

Sounds like you had a good time! Now all you gotta do is go sit at the DMV, pay, get printed, and the worst part, wait. I hear they are getting them back within a month though. I am glad you had a good experience at the range. Every time I have gone there most of the people were grumpy! Told me my M44 was too loud. I could tell they wanted me to leave, but I didn't care!

I wish, my son and I applied at the same time, he has had his for about 5 weeks now, I am over 2 months and still don't have mine. Hopefully it won't be much longer now.