Muslims want gun shop to stop selling targets

I am trying to think of the last time a baptist strapped on a stick of dynamite and blew themselves up at the abortion clinic, and drawing a blank. 

The last time an angsty islamist "radical" exploded was last month (though not in the states lately).

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1
Guest RevScottie

Guys you are missing the point...

Blue laws, ten commandments in court rooms, etc is the result of conservative Chrisitan faith exercising its religious viewpoint over society just like the Muslims want to do. When is the last time you have seen a Muslim strap a stick of dynamite to his chest in the US either? Eric Rudolph identified himself as a Christian and that was his motivation for targeting abortion clinics and gay/lesbians with his bombings. Not all Christians are good and not all Muslims are bad. I have a good friend who is Muslim and he has never threatened to kill me.

A target of a skeleton wearing a turban is clearly racist and is demeaning to an entire race of people and that isn't what America is about.

Blue laws, ten commandments in court rooms, etc is the result of conservative Chrisitan faith exercising its religious viewpoint over society just like the Muslims want to do. When is the last time you have seen a Muslim strap a stick of dynamite to his chest in the US either? Eric Rudolph identified himself as a Christian and that was his motivation for targeting abortion clinics and gay/lesbians with his bombings. Not all Christians are good and not all Muslims are bad. I have a good friend who is Muslim and he has never threatened to kill me.

A target of a skeleton wearing a turban is clearly racist and is demeaning to an entire race of people and that isn't what America is about.

Muslim isnt a race.  It is not racist at all.   Its a form of religious discrimination, same as one sees in the media daily (southparks jesus figure, for example) or using the name of the Lord as a curseword (thousands of movies, songs, etc).   Or the thousands of church jokes, how many have you heard about (a,b, c die and meet st. peter..... etc) ?   Americans (right or wrong) poke fun at religion frequently.  It is intolerent, sure, but its mostly in good fun.   The same is true of these targets.   I do not personally shoot them or care for them, but  as long as it is OK to play southpark on TV, its OK to shoot a turban clad target.  Turbans, after all, are a religious symbol and nothing more --- and they are not unique to muslims; I think the hindu wear them as well?

• Like 1

..and by the way there is very little difference in fundementalist Muslims and fundamentalist Baptist when it comes to their desire to force their views on others and make their beliefs the law of the land.

Boy, are you ignorant of fundamental Baptists! I've been in several fundamental Baptist churches and no one tried to force me to do anything. Not saying that there aren't some out there, but generally speaking you are way off base.

• Like 1

Not all people who call themselves Christians are Christians. :shrug:

And American Muslims may not have strapped explosives to their backs but they have certainly loaded bombs into cars, tried to blow-up bridges, spread their hate, and even tried to excape American authorities by moving to Yemen so they can direct others to do their dirty work.

Edited by SWJewellTN
  • Like 2

Did someone come up with a formula for telling the difference in a good Muslim wearing a turban and a bad Muslim wearing a turban? If so, I missed the memo.

Come to think of it, this offends "good Muslims" who should be glad we are mad at bad Muslims, since they moved their asses over here to get away from them!

There is nothing anti-Islamic about having a target with a cloth on his head. Turbans aren't even uniquely Muslim. There is nothing dictating the wear of turbans in Islam any way. It's just that Muhammed wore one all the time because he was an Arab, and that's what Arabs wore. Same with sandals and stuff. Muslims tend to want to emulate things that Muhammed did, so turban wear is common in some Muslim countries, but most do not wear turbans. You're more likely to see one wearing a kufiya or shemagh type deal in most of the western Islamic countries.

But anyway, the point is having someone dressed as a Muslim or Arab is not racist or whatever. We are at war with Muslim extremists, so they're the big bad enemy. No, not all Muslims are extremists, but damn near all extremists are Muslim. The problem is with drawing similarity between Christain extremists and Muslim extremists is that terrorist actions carried out by Christian extremists are not condoned in the mainstream. Christian mainstream rejects acts of violence, such as the abortion clinic bombings. Islamic mainstream does not, at least not in the Muslim world.

American Muslims (at least the ones I know) also reject extremism, but that doesn't change what all their brethren outside the US believe, and that is why we have the situation we do. Unfortunately American Muslims that embrace the freedoms and our way of life have to deal with that negative image, but that is life. They may take offense to targets that have Muslims on them, but those are the types if folks we are at war with whether we like to admit it or not. 100% of the folks that American troops have been killing and capturing for the past decade have been Muslim. There's no way around it. Maybe when Mormons declare war on the US and detonate some Schwinn borne IEDs all around DC then we'll have targets with well dressed white folks wearing bicycle helmets. Until then, expect dudes dressed in jihad action gear. If that offends some folks I 100% support their right to be offended.
  • Like 1

Did someone come up with a formula for telling the difference in a good Muslim wearing a turban and a bad Muslim wearing a turban? If so, I missed the memo.

Come to think of it, this offends "good Muslims" who should be glad we are mad at bad Muslims, since they moved their asses over here to get away from them!

You think there are no "bad Muslims" who moved here?

There is nothing anti-Islamic about having a target with a cloth on his head. Turbans aren't even uniquely Muslim. There is nothing dictating the wear of turbans in Islam any way. It's just that Muhammed wore one all the time because he was an Arab, and that's what Arabs wore. Same with sandals and stuff. Muslims tend to want to emulate things that Muhammed did, so turban wear is common in some Muslim countries, but most do not wear turbans. You're more likely to see one wearing a kufiya or shemagh type deal in most of the western Islamic countries.

But anyway, the point is having someone dressed as a Muslim or Arab is not racist or whatever. We are at war with Muslim extremists, so they're the big bad enemy. No, not all Muslims are extremists, but damn near all extremists are Muslim. The problem is with drawing similarity between Christain extremists and Muslim extremists is that terrorist actions carried out by Christian extremists are not condoned in the mainstream. Christian mainstream rejects acts of violence, such as the abortion clinic bombings. Islamic mainstream does not, at least not in the Muslim world.

American Muslims (at least the ones I know) also reject extremism, but that doesn't change what all their brethren outside the US believe, and that is why we have the situation we do. Unfortunately American Muslims that embrace the freedoms and our way of life have to deal with that negative image, but that is life. They may take offense to targets that have Muslims on them, but those are the types if folks we are at war with whether we like to admit it or not. 100% of the folks that American troops have been killing and capturing for the past decade have been Muslim. There's no way around it. Maybe when Mormons declare war on the US and detonate some Schwinn borne IEDs all around DC then we'll have targets with well dressed white folks wearing bicycle helmets. Until then, expect dudes dressed in jihad action gear. If that offends some folks I 100% support their right to be offended.

I thought that Arabs wore Keffiyehs (SP?) anyway.

"I thought that Arabs wore Keffiyehs (SP?) anyway."

For some reason the quote button doesn't work, but to answer your question, yeah that is the style, especially for formal dress in the Arab world. Even then it isn't common for them to wear them except for maybe the rich folk in the Gulf states. In Iraq, Jordan and Syria folks didn't seem to wear them much unless they were super rich or laborers/outdoor professions who wore them to soak up sweat, block the sun or wrap around their face to block dust. Most folks just dressed pretty normal.

Never do you see folks wear a turban unless they were religious hierarchy. The Shias were into it a lot, but I suppose since many of the leaders trace their lineage back to Muhammed, they are trying to look the part. Apparently the turban was a big thing for Arabs over the previous few thousand years, but I guess that has died out some in the past few centuries? In Muhammad's day it was a must for anyone of note.
Guest RevScottie

Bottom line is the targets are designed to be a derogatory representation of an entire people group by race, color, creed, or religion. It is wrong to paint with such a broad brush. Arabs are often referred to in derogatory terms as "towel heads" and these type of targets go right along with that type of ignorant thinking.

We are not at war with all Arabs especially the millions who are US citizens. We are no better than the extremists who lump together all Americans as evil when we exhibit such shallow thinking.

Bottom line is the targets are designed to be a derogatory representation of an entire people group by race, color, creed, or religion. It is wrong to paint with such a broad brush. Arabs are often referred to in derogatory terms as "towel heads" and these type of targets go right along with that type of ignorant thinking.

We are not at war with all Arabs especially the millions who are US citizens. We are no better than the extremists who lump together all Americans as evil when we exhibit such shallow thinking.

Really? Do we specifically target innocents to kill? Statements like this take away from the message that you are trying to convey.

• Like 1

Maybe it is shallow thinking, but a bunch of Baptists didn't take down two huge towers on 9/11, either. I'm not sorry at all

that I'm not all touchy-feely about others' opinions of political correctness and the like. When the Muslim faith decides to

police their own radicals, I may change my mind, but until then, all bets are off. I don't subscribe to the idea that we brought

all this on ourselves.

Guest RevScottie

I don't believe we brought this on ourselves either but acting like dumb asses towards everyone who simply "looks"  like an enemy is exactly the type of noncritical thinking that many accuse us of.

Correct, it is *wrong/bigoted*  (I totally agree) but it is not illegal to be a bigot (yet).   People are not obligated to be PC or follow the moral compass of anyone else.   Those who are not offended can buy these things and shoot them.  Those who are offended can buy something else or shoot at a beer can instead.  What a great country!

I support their right to complain.

I support the shop to choose to not sell these products by choice.   I would still shop there. 

Because the above were all by choice, and not by law, nothing that happened here is a big deal to me. 

• Like 1

Not disagreeing with you about that, but profiling has to start somewhere, then refining the process until the right one

should be profiled. It's one of those imperfect things in life. Critical thinking sometimes takes time for many, but I will

always be suspecting one like the Muslim or one who will identify himself as one until, like I said, they start policing their

own. They have been attempting to mainstream themselves in the US government with the intrusions allowed by this

current president to the point that our unknown enemy is subverting us into dangerous waters. They are trying to put

their image as something other than radical, but introducing standards into the US military by policies and procedures

that tend to disarm so they can eventually introduce Sharia law in place of our own Constitution. Makes them even

more heinous in my mind.

I will continue keeping my skepticism of any Muslim in our country until the day comes that they end this trend. Even

the so-called "peacefuls" pose a threat in my mind.

How is a target with a guy in Arab garb derogatory? When I was in the Army nearly all our targets were like that. Role players and OPFOR were always dressed as Arabs. Dogs were specifically trained to target folks wearing Arab style clothing. Like I said, whether you like it or not, for more than a decade now we've been at war with folks from a certain part of the world. That is a fact. That can't be refuted. I don't believe that condemns every last Arab or Muslim. The problem you have Rev, is you seem to think that the targets are meant to signify all Arabs/Muslims. It is simply meant to signify the ones who we are fighting. The fact that you and others interpret the way you do is your problem, not ours.

Bottom line is the targets are designed to be a derogatory representation of an entire people group by race, color, creed, or religion. 

I thought they were supposed to be a fun way to practise shooting just like targets of zombies, guys in prison garb, animals etc. They don't depict people, it's a skeleton. Putting a Santa hat on it doesn't mean I'm gunning for the fat guy or his elves. Put a kelly green derby on it and I guess it should offend the Irish. Heck, I'd buy some of those too, and I'm proud to be Irish.

Guest AmericanWorkMule

The Social Liberals will preach tolerance toward them, they will not show it to anyone.

It is their plan to get the American people to be trained to have tolerance,

that way we dont question what they are doing.

The Muslim will preach tolerance toward them, they will not show it to anyone.

It is their plan to get the American people to be trained to have tolerance,

that way we dont question what they are doing.

..and by the way there is very little difference in fundementalist Muslims and fundamentalist Baptist when it comes to their desire to force their views on others and make their beliefs the law of the land.

Is it safe to assume that Westborrow Baptist speaks for all Baptist?

I am trying to think of the last time a baptist strapped on a stick of dynamite and blew themselves up at the abortion clinic, and drawing a blank. 

The last time an angsty islamist "radical" exploded was last month (though not in the states lately).

The last one I found with a quick google was April 1, 2012. They do happen just not as frequently.

Maybe it is shallow thinking, but a bunch of Baptists didn't take down two huge towers on 9/11, either. I'm not sorry at all
that I'm not all touchy-feely about others' opinions of political correctness and the like. When the Muslim faith decides to
police their own radicals, I may change my mind, but until then, all bets are off. I don't subscribe to the idea that we brought
all this on ourselves.

No but a bunch of them protest at soldiers funerals which is just as reprehensible

Is it safe to assume that Westborrow Baptist speaks for all Baptist?

they are the loudest but many fundy baptists (and similar other protestants)  would LOVE to have laws that allowed prayer in school, bible classes, and a number of them support morality laws as well such as anti-gay laws etc.

My mom is one of these, wants school prayer but its NOT ok to teach the quaran in schools at the same time.   She don't get it.   I keep telling her schools have all they can do to get a tiny bit of reading, math, and science taught -- they barely accomplish this. 

• Like 1