Student gets free ride and sues

jcoosi

The judge should tell her, she learned a valuable life lesson.  You can't by grades,  study and pass or fail, it is on you.

I got a couple C's in collect and guess what, I earned them.

I believe I had one D that I really tried hard but couldn't pass the tests.  I tell everyone I earned that D.  I would like to retake it under the same professor now,  Even though I got a D, I know I learn from that class.

If you've not been to graduate school, a C can kill the whole thing.  When I was in, B's were the minimum.  If you made a C, they could revoke any scholarship you had and/or kick you out.  You could only re-take classes with the professor's permission.  If he was an arse and didn't like you, you're screwed.  I don't know of that actually happening to anyone.  And don't discount the politics between professors and between professors and students.  I've seen that have an effect as well. 

That said, it sure sounds like she earned every bit of that C+. 

It's hard to form an opinion without knowing more.  I had a couple of bad professors while I was in college.  One was tenured and I was taking a class from him the last semester before I graduated, this class was required to graduate and offered one time every two years.  The professor was nuts.  He would give us an assignment, I would complete it and turn it in, he would give it back and tell me that I did it incorrectly and show me how he wanted it done.  I would do it the way he showed me and turn it in  again.  He would then tell me that I did it incorrectly and show me how to do it, except this time it would be the same as the first time that I did it.  Eventually I learned to save all of my work and on multiple occasions I would turn in the first version twice without editing, get a do over the first time and he would accept the work the third time.  I got a D in the class and was able to graduate without waiting around for 2 more years.  Another professor did not care for male students.  She routinely gave female students higher grades than male students for the same work.  

The fact that she was going to school for free is irrelevant.  If she was in fact done wrong she has just as much right to compensation as someone who paid tuition.  I'll say it again for the people that don't read all of a post before spouting off a rebuttal, I'm not saying that she is entitled to anything, there are plenty of dirty goings on the education world.  There is certainly a chance that she was done wrong.

It's hard to form an opinion without knowing more.  I had a couple of bad professors while I was in college.  One was tenured and I was taking a class from him the last semester before I graduated, this class was required to graduate and offered one time every two years.  The professor was nuts.  He would give us an assignment, I would complete it and turn it in, he would give it back and tell me that I did it incorrectly and show me how he wanted it done.  I would do it the way he showed me and turn it in  again.  He would then tell me that I did it incorrectly and show me how to do it, except this time it would be the same as the first time that I did it.  Eventually I learned to save all of my work and on multiple occasions I would turn in the first version twice without editing, get a do over the first time and he would accept the work the third time.  I got a D in the class and was able to graduate without waiting around for 2 more years.  Another professor did not care for male students.  She routinely gave female students higher grades than male students for the same work.  

The fact that she was going to school for free is irrelevant.  If she was in fact done wrong she has just as much right to compensation as someone who paid tuition.  I'll say it again for the people that don't read all of a post before spouting off a rebuttal, I'm not saying that she is entitled to anything, there are plenty of dirty goings on the education world.  There is certainly a chance that she was done wrong.

For the sake of argument, I'm going to pretend she was done wrong, as you suggest could have happened.

She had a free ride, she lost nothing but her time. Personal responsibilty says put on her big girl pants. Instead of suing, enroll in another school, finish your education and pay for it yourself. She has a Masters degree so she should have a darn good income. There's no reason she can't go for the degree that would let her become state certified if it actually was unfair treatment, and not her own short comings, that led to the C+ grade.

This is, whether she was done wrong or not, she's just another whiner that wants to play the victim card instead of pulling themselves up by their own bootstraps. If she's lucky she will someday learn that her decisions, good or bad, are responsible for where she winds up in life. No matter where she goes, she put herself there. It's a tough lesson to learn but it's very worthwhile. DAMHIK.

Megan needs to learn that life isn't always fair but it is always real. Stop looking for fairness and start dealing with reality little girl.

Edited by PapaB

Megan needs to learn that life isn't always fair but it is always real. Stop looking for fairness and start dealing with reality little girl.

Amen.  I've been addressing this with my 5 yr old.  Sometimes life isn't fair.  It's how you deal with it that's important.

C+ is failing?  I don't even understand what the problem is, I thought C and up were passing grades.

IIRC, a B average was required within your course of study to graduate.  If you got a C, it had better be an elective (and there aren't many of those in grad school).

The bar has been lowered to the floor.  Anyone can just walk over it now, so being a true achiever doesn't matter anymore...for the most part.  It will matter though for those who care to survive this era of mediocrity and whatever may follow it.

My son busted his ass to get his Master's at UT. It paid off and now he is at Fraunhofer. He never whined about anything.

Complained about diff equations, but got over the hurdle on his own and ended up tutoring folks who were struggling. I

doubt she has any idea what hard work means, since she had no class participation, which was her undoing, by the way.

My son would laugh at her. He earned his the old fashioned way. Worked at it.

Here is an interesting article from today about one of these young hipsters ho worked at a coffee shop and got fired for posting insulting stuff about his boss and customers on a 'blog'

Barista fired over discovery of snarky blog making fun of customers, bosses

"Watson said baristas are "probably an artist, overqualified, people with pretty much college education across the board."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/02/12/barista-fired-over-discovery-snarky-blog-making-fun-customers-bosses

According to this guy, Donald Trump should be kissing his ass when he goes in there to get a cup of coffee, because he's an 'artist', or some kind of 'intellectual' or some other B.S.  :poop:

Good gawd take some responsibility for your actions....dumbass.  I wish I could be a judge in these kinda cases. She would spend 30 days hard labor for being STUPID!!!!!!

For her, attempting to have a thought would be 30 days hard labor. Requiring she accomplish any 1 thing on her own would be a life sentence.

I have to agree with you on this one.

I currently work at a small, satellite campus of a private college.  A couple of years back, I decided to earn a Masters degree and, as an employee of the college, I was able to do so without paying tuition.

I got an A in every, single class.  Our final project was comprised of several chapters which had to be turned in individually before being turned in as a whole unit with a presentation.  The head of the program taught the courses in which the chapters were to be turned in.  She also graded the final project as a whole as well as the presentation.  She marked every chapter I turned in individually with an A.  She marked my presentation with an A.  However, she marked my final project as a whole with a B+.  To this day I cannot figure out how work that earned A grades individually could add up to a B+ as a whole.  Honestly, I really don't see how it could other than saying that this, particular professor is pretty erratic (I know that not just from being in her classes but also from dealing with her as a coworker.)  I didn't raise a stink as I didn't want to jeopardize my job but I can honestly say that I didn't earn a B+.  I earned an A but was given a B+.

Edited by JAB