letter from sherriff today

I am not sure how I feel about this.

I recieved a letter from the Knox County Sheriff, Jimmy JJ Jones today.

Here is the body of the letter.

Dear Handgun Cary Recipient:

As you know, The Knox County Sheriff's Office is very supportive of the State of Tennessee Handgun Permit Program and thank you for being a participant.

This is a reminder under State Law your Handgun Carry Permit does have an expiration date. If you miss your expiration date, you will have to re-certify. Please check your date to make sure you remain in compliance.

If you have any questions please feel free to call our office at 971-3901

Sincerly,

Jimmy "J.J." Jones

Sheriff

Couple of things bother me here.

#1 Why is the sheriff using my tax dollars to mail this crap out? Fancy two color letterhead on watermarked stock. Matching envelope. Not cheap.

#2 Why does the sheriff have access to the entire HCP database? I have committed no crime. Why is he searching me out?

#3 As he has access to the database he obviously knows mine does not expire until June of 2011. So why is he reminding me of an event to take place 3 years down the road?

#4 Is this merely a ploy to appear a good guy? I believe he is on the ballot this fall.

#5 I could give flying crap if his department is supportive of the HCP. Having an HCP is defined by state law and his department really has no say over it. Thank me for being a participant???? *u*k you Jimmy!

#6 I have not forgiven his department for how I was personally mis-treated last summer when mistakenly arrested and subsequently having charges dismissed. So he can take a flying leap at a rolling do-nut.:D

Maybe my tin foil hat :tinfoil:is screwed on too tight, but this has pissed me off.

I am sure next will come a plea to donate to his re-election. Let him hold his breath for that to happen.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj

#1 Why is the sheriff using my tax dollars to mail this crap out? Fancy two color letterhead on watermarked stock. Matching envelope. Not cheap.

#2 Why does the sheriff have access to the entire HCP database? I have committed no crime. Why is he searching me out?

#3 As he has access to the database he obviously knows mine does not expire until June of 2011. So why is he reminding me of an event to take place 3 years down the road?

#4 Is this merely a ploy to appear a good guy? I believe he is on the ballot this fall.

#5 I could give flying crap if his department is supportive of the HCP. Having an HCP is defined by state law and his department really has no say over it. Thank me for being a participant???? *u*k you Jimmy!

#6 I have not forgiven his department for how I was personally mis-treated last summer when mistakenly arrested and subsequently having charges dismissed. So he can take a flying leap at a rolling do-nut.:D

Maybe my tin foil hat :tinfoil:is screwed on too tight, but this has pissed me off.

I am sure next will come a plea to donate to his re-election. Let him hold his breath for that to happen.

That would be my guess. Call em.

Guest Verbal Kint

Not even sure who Jimmy Jones is... and very vaguely remember your past ordeal (I'd have to go back and re-read it somewhere)... but maybe his office was tasked with this job? Maybe he doesn't have the full info on the HCP holders, but rather just a list of who has one... and thus mass-mailed everyone (not knowing dates, but just who does have one)?

Who knows. Maybe he was just bored and decided to use your tax dollars. :D

Off Topic :

Here in KY... or the city of Paducah, at least... our Sheriff's Dept is the sole office that handles all the CWL's. They take your photo, they do the paperwork, they send it off to Frankfort, they receive your permit back, they call you, they renew it, etc etc etc.

Which reminds me... I need to call them and check on mine. Had to basically re-submit my paperwork, when I returned to KY, as I had let it lapse a few years ago while in Germany. 7 week mark is this Monday, on the quoted 6-8 weeks.

Guest GT_Rat

He wants to get re-elected.

Any Tom, Dick, or Harry has access to it. Why should the sheriff be any different?

Database given out to people may not show expiration date. :cool:

See #1

That doesn't keep a politician from politicking though. :)

Maybe he's just screwing with you personally. :)

I actually think it's pretty cool that he sent this out but you are probably right on when you said

I#4 Is this merely a ploy to appear a good guy? I believe he is on the ballot this fall.

And I'm sure his departments screw up plays heavily upon your regard for him but try to loosen the hat :D and appreciate his willingness to at least pretend to support us, the HCP holders of Tennessee.
Guest janwbrown616

Someone musta woke up on the wrong side of the bed.....;

it's probably a form letter he sent out to every permit holder in his county.

Maybe it IS an election year. DID he do this last year?

Maybe he WAS tasked with it. HE has access to that database just like he has access to MOST State and Federal databases. Lighten up and move on.....

He is fishing for votes. I had a permit under the old law before the state took over and would get mail from the old Sheriff's office inquiring about becoming a Reserve Officer or joining the Sheriff's Association.

Guest Verbal Kint

#6 I have not forgiven his department for how I was personally mis-treated last summer when mistakenly arrested and subsequently having charges dismissed. So he can take a flying leap at a rolling do-nut.:blink:

Maybe he's just screwing with you personally. :D

:blink:

Yeah, there ya go... fire him up even more.

Maybe he's just screwing with you personally. :blink::lol:

Yeah, there ya go... fire him up even more.

Oh, I am sure that is really the bottom line. Bastards they are. All of them.

No doubt they know I drive past the jail twice daily taunting and mocking them on every pass.

I got some insights into a rural Sheriffs' Office (SO) some years back. The sheriff is primarily a politician - even if he'd rather be a lawman. He deals with issues, and sets policies, as they arise and according to 1) how it affects him politically 2) how it affects his budget and 3) the law - and in pretty much that order.

He's using part of his budget to improve his image with HCP holders. Why? Either he is an enthusiastic supporter of the program, or he wants permit holders to think he is. If this image polishing is further reflected by action, thats' a good thing. A lot better than someone whose personal policy is "screw 'em, I don't like 'em anyway". He doesn't get a budget increase for this, so he feels it is worth expending some of his (limited) resources. It may even be a subtle reminder to the rank and file in the SO that he supports HCP holders.

As for your incident (which I remember well, Mike) - the Sheriff can't control individual officers' actions. What he can do after the fact is make known his feelings to the sheriffs' office as a whole, 'counsel' individual officers, and if the incident is big enough to fight the inevitable battle with the lawyers and union, suspend or fire the officer(s) in question. Firings and suspensions are never cut and dried - remember, a suspension means he has to take an officer off the roster, and still cover duty schedules, so it costs' him twice - pay for the suspended officer, usually, as well as overtime for others to cover the gap.

He also has to deal with the long-time SO personnel, who figure he's just a political figurehead and they're gonna keep on doing business their way. They are wrong, but it is a long and dirty battle to prove it.

I'd have to guess that he tasked someone in the SO to get the list, and send the mailers out to every HCP holder in the county - so expiration dates have nothing to do with it.

On balance, this is probably a good thing. He is targeting the HCP demographic in a positive fashion. Given the previous incidents with permit holders, he (and/or the SO department as a whole) may be slow learners, but at least he's trying

"I'd have to guess that he tasked someone in the SO to get the list, and send the mailers out to every HCP holder in the county - so expiration dates have nothing to do with it."

Should be easy enough to find out....

Any other Knox. co. HCP holders get this letter?:blink:

On balance, this is probably a good thing. He is targeting the HCP demographic in a positive fashion. Given the previous incidents with permit holders, he (and/or the SO department as a whole) may be slow learners, but at least he's trying

I am hopeful this is what it is about.

Any other Knox. co. HCP holders get this letter?

I am guessing we will know the answer to this before the night is over.

Really I am not as pissed as I let on. I am irritated and a lot of it has to do with my sour attitude over the KCSD

He wants to get re-elected.

You may have hit the nail right on the head. This is an election year and if you have any idea of how crooked and back-asswards Knox County politicians are you'd understand. The County's politican shenanigans of the last couple of years are well documented and have made them a national laughing-stock.

It's obviously campaining on the tax-payers dollar. The elections are less than a month away and as an APPOINTED official until then he has found a way to send out some free advertising. I seriously doubt the Chief LEO is concerned about your permit status.

The names and addresses of permit holders are certainly something he has access to via the office. Doesn't the application process involve the local Man? The records of registered voters for political gain he does not - unless the campaign requests and pays.

Edited by Garufa
typing on tiny laptop
Guest WingedWarrior

Any Tom, Dick, or Harry has access to it. Why should the sheriff be any different?

Guest WingedWarrior

--------------------------

So WHO all does in fact have access? And how do they get it? I understand "need to know," but I kinda thought having an HCP was a personal matter.

WW

Guest Engloid

Yeah, fishing for votes...with the clear advantage over the competition, in that he can mail out things like this and get his name into your hand....on county funds.

It seems a bit like abuse of power to me...and just an excuse to get his name mailed into your house without taking the cost from campaign funds.

I don't care if any tom dick or harry can get that list.

Why they want the list is what concerns me.

And besides any time someone acquires the HCP roster it seems it causes a stink on a message board somewhere.

So maybe I should acquire the list to out people with.

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly

#6 I have not forgiven his department for how I was personally mis-treated last summer when mistakenly arrested and subsequently having charges dismissed. So he can take a flying leap at a rolling do-nut.:shrug:

This joker had his name plastered on the side of every sheriff's office vehicle about a month after Hutchison was canned. I wonder how much that cost?

This reminds of when Kerry was running for President. Somebody sent him two different letters. One supporting the War and another disagreeing with the War.

Well, they got back two different replies. One supporting the War and the other disagreeing with it.

Kinda makes me wonder if you sent an E-Mail to his office being an anti-gun freak, that you would receive an answer agreeing with you??

Guest canynracer
Rather obviously an election ploy. Sheriffs are politicians and politicians think we are all dumb. So...getting a letter like this is calling you stupid.

laughing017.giflaughing025.gif......DAMMMIT MARS!!! freaking coffee on my keyboard....