9mm AMMO comparison...guess who wins??

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DrBoomBoom

I've read this before. I reload 9mm anyway. Ammo can make a difference, though, In my Argy HP, WWB doesn't do anywhere near as well as the Walmart Remington JHP bulk box. Lately I've been getting a pretty good deal on S&B, which the HP likes. The Sig seems to do the same with everything, but the moonclipped 9mm snub is very finnicky. If the ammo has a thick head, like Aguila, it will stick the cylinder.

Box o' Truth is a great resource.

Guest 270win

9mm is a great choice in general because it is the cheapest centerfire pistol round. The cheaper a round is the more you will practice. I bought some Winchester White Box yesterday at Wally World, two 100rd boxes with sales tax ended up being about forty bucks. That is not bad compared to 357 Sig, 40, and 45. The 357 Sig was almost twenty bucks for a cheap 50rd box.

3. We have over 80+ years of handloading and make some good handloads. We use a Dillon press. But the factory stuff was slightly better accuracy-wise than our stuff. The difference in price is very small.

Bottom Line: You can't justify handloading at the present low prices of this cheap 9mm ammo.

I looked into reloading and I found that I wouldn’t save a dime.

I have always been skeptical when I see people saying that the ammo they reload is more accurate than factory. I’m sure they believe this, but I would like to see a test; especially in rifle ammo.

Guest GLOCKGUY
9mm is a great choice in general because it is the cheapest centerfire pistol round. The cheaper a round is the more you will practice. I bought some Winchester White Box yesterday at Wally World, two 100rd boxes with sales tax ended up being about forty bucks. That is not bad compared to 357 Sig, 40, and 45. The 357 Sig was almost twenty bucks for a cheap 50rd box.

i agree i sold my G-38 .45 GAP it just cost to much to shoot. now i have a G-19 9mm and it does not break me to shoot it

Guest gcrookston

Since I've been shooting WCC 124gr FMJ for the last 10 years or so (except wally world 115 in my Lugers, brooms, and P.38s), I am wondering how this ammo stacks up out of a Sig... Would never shoot wolf out of a Luger, the tolerances are too close and the fowling with that messy stuff would be labor intensive.

Guest GLOCKGUY
How much is the new 45 GAP cheap as you can get target ammo for a fifty round box?

the cheapest i could find it for was $25.00 + tax for a box of 50

I have always been skeptical when I see people saying that the ammo they reload is more accurate than factory. I’m sure they believe this, but I would like to see a test; especially in rifle ammo.

I don't have any quotable proof, but in a self-defense handgun, reloads make little difference accuracy-wise. When shooting rifles, it's often a different story.

Guest Mugster

Are you serious?

I don't even know of a place to even buy 7mm rem mag ammo loaded with a sierra 168gr bthp. As far as i know its not even made.

There's about 50 benchrest competitors down at tullahoma that shoot small groups at 1000 yards. Its all handmade ammunition. Not to mention the hipower people mostly reload for 600 and 1000 yards.

Guest bkelm18

There is quite a huge difference in hand loaded vs factory loaded ammo when it comes to rifles. Less than 100 yds, you wont be able to tell, but beyond that, definitely. You can fine tune it to your preferences and requirements. No factory will do that.

I have been reloading for many years. To really see the cost savings in handgun ammo you either have to find a great buy on bullets or cast them yourself. I found casting .357 and .429 bullets from WW's could cut my cost considerably since I got the lead for free. Then all you have to do is shoot enough to offset the cost of molds and pots, etc. Lee makes some good economical products. And yes, matching quality factory ammo for accuracy is a good goal for a reloader. I have done it with my bullets many times, most commonly with the real Keith style bullets in 44 and 357.

As to rifles, if you want to shoot blasters like AK's and AR shorties and such, bulk ammo like wolf may be fine,but I have never had a good bolt gun or Ruger #1 that I could not beat factory ammo easily by handloading. There are cost savings also if you want to use premium bullets but the biggest factor is repeatability. I can make the same loads next week, next month, next year that shoots in my guns today. The factory may get a good buy on powder or primers or bullets and change the load from week to week.

One other point, you can never carry or use reloaded ammo, especially home rolled ammo, for self defense. Most over zealous DA's would have a field day in front of a firearms ignorant jury.

Are you serious?

Sometimes… but not very often.

I don't even know of a place to even buy 7mm rem mag ammo loaded with a sierra 168gr bthp. As far as i know its not even made.

Then it’s not in demand. :D

There's about 50 benchrest competitors down at tullahoma that shoot small groups at 1000 yards. Its all handmade ammunition.

But I’m guessing it’s not made by the hands of Bubba in his garage trying to buy the absolute cheapest crap on earth so he can say he saves money by reloading.

Seriously… thanks for the link in the other thread, but I couldn’t find out much about that club. I think 1000 yard shooters are amazing. I’m sure they have the best ammo made both from manufacturers and custom loaders that is available. But that’s not exactly what I have in mind when I think of reloading.

Are you one of those 50 guys?

One other point, you can never carry or use reloaded ammo, especially home rolled ammo, for self defense. Most over zealous DA's would have a field day in front of a firearms ignorant jury.

I wouldn’t carry reloads for self defense.

But I’ve seen this posted several times about what a DA would do or a jury would think. In my opinion it’s not worth worrying about. If you find yourself facing a jury after a shooting you have way bigger problems than the ammo you used.

Guest bkelm18
I wouldn’t carry reloads for self defense.

But I’ve seen this posted several times about what a DA would do or a jury would think. In my opinion it’s not worth worrying about. If you find yourself facing a jury after a shooting you have way bigger problems than the ammo you used.

You'd think that, but if it gets to trial, they are going to find every scrap of evidence to try and put you away.

But I’m guessing it’s not made by the hands of Bubba in his garage trying to buy the absolute cheapest crap on earth so he can say he saves money by reloading.

Actually, I would venture to say that the average Bubba could probably load 20 rounds of customized .270 or .30-06 for cheaper than he could buy 20 "premium" factory rounds, and the very best factory ammo still cannot be tailored to a particular rifle, such as overall length or a certain powder charge the gun seems to like. Many pistol shooters reload to save, while many rifle shooters reload for repeatable precision. If you just open up a Midway catalog and pay full retail for everything, sure, it doesn't look worthwhile. However, if you save/collect brass and watch for deals on powder/primers/bullets, reloading is cost-effective.

Edited by deerslayer
Guest gcrookston

I haven't reloaded in about 20 years, that's when 7.62 nato got down to less than 20 cents around... now that match is up to $1.60 per round, My next great purchase will be a dillan 500... I figure to save about 80 cents. I'll be reloading 45, 308, 223... not 9, not just yet.

Guest Mugster
Sometimes… but not very often.

Then it’s not in demand. :confused:

Seriously… thanks for the link in the other thread, but I couldn’t find out much about that club. I think 1000 yard shooters are amazing. I’m sure they have the best ammo made both from manufacturers and custom loaders that is available. But that’s not exactly what I have in mind when I think of reloading.

Are you one of those 50 guys?

No, I considered it when I lived out in oak ridge about 5 miles from ORSA. But at the point of using mechanical devices and sandbags, rifle shooting becomes very technical. I'm not saying it doesn't take talent to do it. I'm saying that I find it (personally) more impressive if you can shoot offhand at 300-400 yards with no sling and ring a 2'x2' gong on iron sights.

But yeah, bubba in his garage ain't going to get it done with bulk pack bullets on a progressive press. I could probably bust out some 1000 yard ammo with a couple days notice, but my reloading equipment is middle of the road. I can pull a few tricks that I learned, but I can't compete with a true dedicated benchrest shooter/reloader. I just don't have the equipment or the knowledge to use it. Not to mention the rifle to shoot it in.

On the flip side of the coin, I can beat custom loaded .223 match, .308 match, and the best factory 7mm rem ammo you can buy off the shelf accuracy wise. Its not even a close race really, especially in a bolt gun. I will say some of the new factory .223 is pretty darn good though. Its alot better now than ever before. I've never really tried with handgun. And I can do it for about half the cost. The high end stuff is where you can really save the bux. For plinking grade M193 (my stuff goes KABOOM to wolf's kapow), I'm averaging about .13 a shot figuring free brass. On the middle ground, for a 69gr bthp, about a 3" or 1 MOA round at 300 yards out of my rifle, I go about .22-.24 right now, or $220-240 per K. The cheapest competitor is this (and its good stuff), and it does push me on accuracy:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Prvi_Partizan_.223_75grn_Boat_Tail_Match_Hollow_Point.html

If your interested in it, go to one of the shoots. If you start talking around, most of those guys would almost rather talk about rifles and reloading than actually shoot. You'll probably get a little trigger time on a race gun if you'll pull targets. I never met a high powered rifle shooter I didn't like.

Edited by Mugster
Guest Mugster
I haven't reloaded in about 20 years, that's when 7.62 nato got down to less than 20 cents around... now that match is up to $1.60 per round, My next great purchase will be a dillan 500... I figure to save about 80 cents. I'll be reloading 45, 308, 223... not 9, not just yet.

I've drawn a line in the sand. I ain't reloading 9mm till hell freezes over. You can quote me. :confused:

i agree i sold my G-38 .45 GAP it just cost to much to shoot. now i have a G-19 9mm and it does not break me to shoot it

Did you like the G-38 though? I have a G-19 and I can't see the savings in reloading but I would think it might be worth it on .45 GAP. I have been thinking about the G-38 or the G-21SF in 45ACP

Mick

How much is the new 45 GAP cheap as you can get target ammo for a fifty round box?

You can get practice ammo for about $15 per 50rd. That's when you buy it 500rd at a time or more, of course, but it's about the same as shooting .45acp, in terms of cost.

As has been pointed out to the 9th degree...you will never see any Bullseye or centerfire rifle competition where the top 10 are not reloaders. That and there are thousands upon thousands of such tests in publication.

Reloading is not rocket science.

The components are EXACTLY the same as the ones used for fancy pre-loaded ammunition. The difference is that reloads are tailored for a particular gun and caliber...unlike factory ammo which is loaded for caliber only. The precision of a $100 reloading setup from midwayusa can easily produce the same tolerances as a $100,000 reloading setup from a factory...even if Bubba does it in his garage.

I just don't understand why people believe that if it comes from the factory it must be superior. 0.001 is 0.001, 5grains is 5 grains, etc... doesn't matter what the source. Anyone who has ever reloaded knows this. Again...it isn't complicated.

I've always heard that if you reload, you don't necessarily save any money, but you do shoot more. And, I can certainly see how it would be much cheaper to roll your own 'match' grade loads as opposed to buying factory match ammo whilst trying to find which one shoots best through a particular gun through trial and error.