Info on lever action .357 and .44 magnum rifles?

rugerla1

My Dad retired a couple of years ago. He had mentioned for a while his interest in getting an M14. He also talked about getting a Mini 14 ranch rifle (Ruger runs deep LOL). Since the shooting in CT has prices and stock in a whole other dimension, he now has been talking about a lever action .357 mag because he has a revolver in that caliber. Are the old Marlins still floating around often or should I look for new ones? Also, as far as new ones, any I should steer clear of? Seems like Henry makes or used to make them if I remember correctly. I'd like to be sneaky and buy him one as a present. Maybe then he won't need that blonde stock lever action Savage .308 I've been trying to get off of him for 20 years......well, probably not :)

I have a Henry in .357. It's a great lever action rifle, for what it is. It is not a 30-30. It drops about 6 inches at 175 yards. Zero at 100 yards.  I choose the .357 over the 44 mag. The Henry has an octagonal barrel and is barrel heavy but it is very accurate and the hottest .357 buffalo Bore ammo just goes POOF. Very little recoil. 38 special recoil is like shooting a 22.

Edited by Will Carry

Same here.  For less than $500 my Rossi 92 is pretty awesome.  I love that thing, and the Gunslinger Spring kit I installed made it real fast and smooth.  The only problem I have found with the Rossi is that the stock, while good wood, is horribly finished.  I plan on refinishing mine.

Same here.  For less than $500 my Rossi 92 is pretty awesome.  I love that thing, and the Gunslinger Spring kit I installed made it real fast and smooth.  The only problem I have found with the Rossi is that the stock, while good wood, is horribly finished.  I plan on refinishing mine.

Where'd you get that spring kit?

IMG_2031.jpg

I picked this one up at a show last year for three bills. The wood isn't deluxe grade Winchester by any stretch, but the finish looks o.k. to me. If I had a gripe with it, I guess I would say the bb gun sights could use some improvement.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

Where'd you get that spring kit?

IMG_2031.jpg

I picked this one up at a show last year for three bills. The wood isn't deluxe grade Winchester by any stretch, but the finish looks o.k. to me. If I had a gripe with it, I guess I would say the bb gun sights could use some improvement.

Must be the build quality of the latest rifles, as mine does not look anywhere that good.  Does yours have a safety on the top right in front of the hammer?  I am asking because yours looks like the Rossi/Puma instead of the Rossi/Braztech.

I got the gunslinger kit from Brownells for about 20 bucks.

• Like 1

Wow, thanks for all of the responses. I figured some of y'all owned/had owned them, but didn't know they were this popular. All in all, he's actually got me wanting one, and your responses make it more interesting. We may end up with one each. I'm curious to shoot one. I found one on Cabela's website(.357) and there is a Cabela's store in Missouri not too far from his house, so he may be getting one before I even see him.

Must be the build quality of the latest rifles, as mine does not look anywhere that good.  Does yours have a safety on the top right in front of the hammer?  I am asking because yours looks like the Rossi/Puma instead of the Rossi/Braztech.

I got the gunslinger kit from Brownells for about 20 bucks.

No safety. It is a Puma.

Thanks to the popularity of the  "Cowboy Action" shooting events there are a number of excellent lever action pistol caliber rifles out there. I'm partial to the Winchester 92 action. Smooth as butter! Options have never been better.

i been looking for a marlin and/or winchester in 44 mag.  i have also been looking for one in 357 mag.  hard to find at this time, but i keep on looking.   if all else fail i might have to go to rossi and/or henry. 

I know it's across the state but might check out "Guns and Ammo" in Memphis. They usually have a big selection of lever guns but I have not been there since before the mad rush on anything gun.

I bought a Marlin 1894S in 44 Mag from a co-worker when I was working at Barrett. Got it for $100. But that was sometime around '94 or so. Still have it and it's one of my favorites.

Now your starting to tell your age when you go back that far. Especially when a lever guns worth quadruples.

• Like 1

I was able to pick up this 1978 Marlin 1894c in .357 last year and it is by far my favorite long gun. My 39a used to hold that spot, but this one now gets the nod. I got lucky and was able to get it with a 4x scope for $450 off of GB. It has a little bruising on the forearm, but the metal is easily %98. They are out there. It just takes some looking and a little luck. :)

As far as which ones to watch out for, almost all of the guns with the JM rollmark are less likely to have problems. The rollmark is on the right side of the barrel right by the receiver.

I do not recall which year they were bought and moved to the new factory, but right before and since, they have had major problems. I had all this memorized last year when I was hunting mine down, but it's been a while. Head over to marlinownersforum and you will get more than you can stand on the subject. Basically, 90's and back are good. 2K and forward, check over carefully.

I like the Henry, but it does not have side gate loading. I have a number of tube mag rifles and really wanted the side gate.