Reloading " 45 Colt"

Actually I have two questions, the first has to do with the 45 Colt. I've had the dies for this for a little while, but haven't bought any bullets yet. Yesterday while doing a little cleaning and rearranging I came across a couple dozen 200gn LFN bullets that were for for the 45acp. Well I was thinking about loading these in the Colt cases.but couldn't find any data for any of the powders that I have on hand. Was thinking somebody hear might have some insight, was wanting to use Unique. But I also have H100, and some 2400, I just figured the Unique would be the best. Anybody got a recipe?

Second question, I came across some Red Dot powder the other day at a pretty good price. Never used it, but I see it listed in alot of the calibers that I load for. Just wanting to know what ya'll thought about it and if anyone uses and or likes it?  Thought I might buy some to have on hand for when I don't have or can't find what I use regularly.    Thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Its going to be about 9-10 grains of unique* and you will have to mess with the seating depth & exact charge to find a happy place.  A 200 grain LRN .45 diameter for either caliber is going to be very similar in size and shape, seeing as how the weight governs the amount of metal, and the diameter governs how long it can be --- there is only so much variety you can have there with weight and diameter and general shape being fixed!

Have not used red dot.  I think it is fast burning/hot designed for like a 380 (?) but it probably "works" in "most" "handgun" cartridges.  Probably a sweet 9mm powder?  I also like to have some hot powder on hand, it goes farther in a pinch.

*http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=200&shellid=36&bulletid=62

Edited by Jonnin

Is the 45 Colt a rifle or pistol?

With a rifle you will need a crimp ring to keep the bullet from beind push

into the case while in the tube mag, under recoil the bullet might get

pushed back into the case.

In a pistol it is not a worry.

I use Titegroup for all my pistol loads, I call the 45 Colt a pistol load.

On the Hodgdon site it says use 6.5 to 6.7 grans, depending on the type of bullet.

Thanks guys. Red its for a couple Rugers that I have, Vaquero and a BH. Its all good though as I have the 4 die set, and I would like to get a lever gun one of these days. I figured on putting a litle extra crimp any way as these bullets are .452, verses .454 that is suppose to be. Thanks.. Ilke TG also but I'm out at the moment.

Jonin I'll try about to start thanks also.

Red333 have about 150 + of the 45 colt with the crimp groove w-w and fed head stamp you can have , I have enough for my pistols so don't need these with crimp groove. Pm your address and I will put them in the mail for you. Have too much stuff trying to clean some of it up.

Large Loop Rossi, has the screw like the "RifleMan" rifle, works just like the TV shows rifle.

Goos shooting rifle, we have a lot of fun with it.

Red333 have about 150 + of the 45 colt with the crimp groove w-w and fed head stamp you can have , I have enough for my pistols so don't need these with crimp groove. Pm your address and I will put them in the mail for you. Have too much stuff trying to clean some of it up.

Thanks Much man, PM inbound

Edited by RED333

Thanks guys. Red its for a couple Rugers that I have, Vaquero and a BH. Its all good though as I have the 4 die set, and I would like to get a lever gun one of these days. I figured on putting a litle extra crimp any way as these bullets are .452, verses .454 that is suppose to be. Thanks.. Ilke TG also but I'm out at the moment.
Jonin I'll try about to start thanks also.

Would this work for 454 Casull loads? I am looking to start reloading for my 454 revolver, factory loads are too damn expensive. I would like to be able to use the same components for 454 Casull, 45 Colt and 45 ACP.

Would this work for 454 Casull loads? I am looking to start reloading for my 454 revolver, factory loads are too damn expensive. I would like to be able to use the same components for 454 Casull, 45 Colt and 45 ACP.

would *what* work in the 454?   The bullets should work in all 3 (diameter question?) if that is your question, but you have to be careful with lead and higher powered cartridges.....   someone else can tell you what to watch for but just be aware that soft lead and high power dont mix in every combination.

btw you can crimp with the 45 acp die if the 45 LC die does not do it for the smaller diameter, at least I think you can, if the brass isnt too thick or too fat or something.

Edited by Jonnin

would *what* work in the 454?   The bullets should work in all 3 (diameter question?) if that is your question, but you have to be careful with lead and higher powered cartridges.....   someone else can tell you what to watch for but just be aware that soft lead and high power dont mix in every combination.

btw you can crimp with the 45 acp die if the 45 LC die does not do it for the smaller diameter, at least I think you can, if the brass isnt too thick or too fat or something.

Yeah, that's what I am looking for. Just want to know if I could get one type of bullet for all 3. I'll let this get back to the OPs question now and watch and learn. Thanks!

Yeah, that's what I am looking for. Just want to know if I could get one type of bullet for all 3. I'll let this get back to the OPs question now and watch and learn. Thanks!

well, yes you can but I would use a FMJ round if shooting all 3 to avoid the issue. 

I did a bit of research to find a powder that will work with all my pistols, .38, .40, and .45.

Titegroup works for me, ya there are other powders that will work better, but my space

is small and I dont want a lot of diff powders around.