Going back to the Appalachian Trail 2013

Guest ab28

I have long enjoyed the outdoors, and I have peace there that I can get nowhere else. In 2010, I did the entire 2,181 mile Appalachian Trail in 5 months. I met a lot of really good people out there, helped some people, received help when most needed. I helped a farmer for a couple days with some random tasks in PA, and also stayed at a person's house, shoveled a huge pile of mulch to another location, helped him build some landscaping stuff, and mowed his yard. He had done many trails as well. In exchange, he and his wife cooked me an a couple other hikers some good food, we did laundry, had a few good beers, and got some much needed rest.

My hike topic is in this area of the forum, if you want to search for it.

Fast forward 3 years later. Ever since I have been back, I have been unhappy. A "regular" life isn't for me. I have no desire to buy a new car, or a house, or get married and have kids. Nothing wrong with that life, just isn't what makes me happy. I tried to go back to college, but I have PTSD issues from 2004 when I was a combat medic. Large crowds give me severe anxiety. I had the AT in the back of my mind all this time, so last year, after working at the Nissan plant for 5 months, I went back to college. I dropped out again after deciding once and for all that school wasn't for me. I would have stayed at Nissan for a couple years to pay off my student loans, but I was in the paint and injection molding area and started getting brutal migraines. I was prone to them before, but my VA doc said that those chemicals were a trigger. I was making decent money, but it wasn't worth my health.

By being cheap, I have managed to save a good bit of money back, enough to last me close to 2 years without having to find work, close to about 10K in the bank. As I won't have to pay rent or car maintenance, the only thing I'll need to buy is food. I am very handy at sewing and repairing things in general, I made or heavily modified a lot of my own gear, and there are always fabric pieces, straps, ect in hiker boxes. I'll put my loans into forbearance under the IBR, and hit the trail. I will be talking to rangers in the parks, and the ATC about getting a job as a ridgerunner next year. All I know is that living in this society has made me severely unhappy.

I have always lived simply, and the overwhelming greed and materialism of people just grates on my nerves. You are more than your job, or the stuff you own. I found happiness out there on the trail, and feel extremely lucky because of it. How many people go through life never finding what makes them truly happy?

Glad to hear you are heading back to the AT. I thru hiked the AT way back in '79 and have since considered it a place where I could go heal if my personal life became too difficult. I have only returned as a section hiker and trail volunteer since. I read your posts from your previous trip with great interest. Some has changed, but much has remained the same. I instantly recognized the Kennebec and Shaw's - and of course the northern terminus. It brought back many memories. Hope you enjoy your trip and please keep us updated.

Sounds like you found your inner peace on the trail.  Good Luck if able and keep in touch some on the way.

I believe I remember reading some of your posts from the first trip, it got me kinda excited as well

I have to much going on to be able to make a trip like that but it got me thinking about at least sometimes taking a vacation and hiking part of it.

Do you know when you plan to head out on this new trip?

Edited by vontar
Guest ochretoe

Good luck, be careful and have fun.  I am a Park Ranger/Manager and I know how you feel about crowds.  I am also trying to get my life more basic and simple.  Take lots of pics and when you can keep us posted.  I assume starting this time of year you are traveling North.   If you get a chance check out the Cumberland Trail.  It is an all Tn. linear trail.  I think it's about 190 miles long.

Current pack weight is about 17lbs, with 1L water, and 3 days food and winter gear. I'll post a list sometime in the next couple days.

Post your itenerary. We often setup "welcome stations" on both sides of GSMNP.

I have no idea how long it is going to take. I am not in great shape at the moment, so I'll be starting off slow.

Here is my current gear list. I'll post weights when known, I don't have my scale any more.

Shelter and sleep

cut down double layer closed cell foam pad (19oz)

0 degree 900 fill down quilt with cuben fiber dry sack (25oz)

Heavily modified tarptent with stakes   (14.1 oz)

Clothing

wiggy's jacket liner with homemade added poly scarf sewn in (15oz)

balaclava, wool glove inserts, microfleece mittens(6oz together)

thermasilk top and bottom baselayer (4oz)

rainjacket with homemade extension (10oz)

long sleeve shirt

ultralight nylon hiking pants(7oz)

boonie hat

2 knee braces with metal side supports

cuben fiber backpack with carbon fiber frame (13oz) 3000 cubic inches

2 pair women's underwear (2oz) significantly lighter than any men's I've found

2 pair no show wool socks (3oz)

trail runners, with added sewing and 550 cord reinforcement connecting upper to sole

cuben fiber dry sack for clothing

Other gear(repair, firestarting, ect)

In ziploc bag (home made AT guide (list written on receipt paper and laminated with packing tape, toilet paper, camp soap, bic lighter, diaper rash ointment)

200 yd spool of dental floss, 4 needles, 30ft ultralight spectra cord, with a diamond rod knife sharpener stored in the hollow spool core

clear safety glasses(protection from branches when hiking at night)

folt's minimalist fixed blade knife(1.6oz)

kindle, ipod, charge cord(short cord with ipod adapter and USB wall outlet adapter(charger setup is 1.5 oz, kindle is 6oz, ipod is 1.3 oz with headphones)

on keyring(k1 firestarter, photon micro light, victorinox classic)

headlamp

Food and Water

nalgene 3L water bag(for camp water)

powerade bottle 1 L

bleach dropper(water purification), chapstick, toothpaste, cut down toothbrush (all of this on a short piece of cord)

food bag, 1L Ti cookpot, small can of sterno, cut down Dairy Queen spoon

that's pretty much it.

Edited by ab28
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, it was over fast. I ripped some tendons or ligaments or something in my right knee. That was with wearing 2 knee braces and carrying a 17lb pack. I am back home now, just going to go back to college since hiking is no longer an option. It is pretty irritating, I had to spend a lot on taxis and hotels, ect. I am glad in a way, though, as the issue is settled, and I won't constantly have the trail in the back of my mind, since I have closure now.

Guest ochretoe

Man, don't give up.  There are lots of options.  Take up canoeing or kayaking.  Trek the Mississippi River or the Clinch or Holston or Duck.  There are lots of things you can do to scratch that itch.  I'm not saying don't go back to college. Just don't give up on finding your head space.

There ain't nothing in the world like sailing...and girls always want a ride. A single handed 20 to 26 foot?  Sweet!!  Quiet too. and the law specifies motor boat when it comes to drinking.

Edited by bajabuc
  • Administrator

So very sorry to hear about your injury.  Perhaps there are ways that you can still enjoy the Trail after you heal, either by volunteering some time to do trail repair, or teaching others, etc.  I've learned that when life closes one door, it generally opens another.

Keep your spirits up!

Sorry to hear.  You sound like you do have your head on straight.  Who was this person that decided that we should all go to college, get married, have children, work 9-5 Monday through Friday and hate it for 30 years, then retire and move to Florida or buy a motorhome?  The people that do this run of the mill crap will never really be happy.  I get criticized by some members of my family because they don't feel that I make enough money.  I love my job, and I love the people I work with.  I look forward to going to work and I make enough money to support my family and pretty much buy all of the toys I want within reason.  I feel that even with a small bank account I am much richer than most that have lots of money.  I've made twice what I'm making now working other jobs but there is no way I would go back. Screw anyone that doesn't approve, you don't pay my bills!  AB, I hope you find a new hobby that you enjoy as much as hiking.  Just don't conform because society thinks that you should.