Sig 1911....can't trust it

I have the 1911 Sig Nitron. Yes it works with factory rounds, except for the times it won't go to slide lock with various mags, including Wilson. Like a previous poster, the chamber was reamed and polished on the first return to Sig. But some of my reloads with flat points FTB. Don't even try SWC or LRN, even though they ALL go through a chamber gauge. Sent it back again. Test fire was OK, sent it back with no additional work done. Now with close inspection with the slide open, the barrel, when pushed back meets flush with the feed ramp. From what I have read, all 1911 should have at least a 1/32 shelf at this junction. My guess is that this is the issue. I'm going to call Sig again, but to be honest, I've about had it for a gun that costs this much to have to break it in, send it back, etc. etc. MY Remington R1 performs circles around the Sig 1911.

progress.gif
Edited by chances R

I purchased a 1911 tacops from a guy who offed it due to issues w it jamming/magazine related. He used chip and wilson mags and still had issues.I polished the ramp and went through the pistol w a fine tooth comb.I cleaned it up, lubed it,and ran @ 200 rounds through it with the wilson chip,and factory mags.the chip mag worked at 100% as  the sig and wilson mag had 1 jam each.Some of the ammo i ran through was old military ammo that was dirty nasty,and dull,it worked fine,albeit 2 jams.I ran some off the shelf 230 grain and it worked fine.ran another 100 rounds of federal 230 and it was good as it could be.i believe the sigs require extra work and tlc to keep em less prone to failure.Someone may have better insight on this but your issue is definitely not an isolated one...

FYI, I know nothing about the Sig design, so take this advice as an uniformed web blab. I have two friends that were in same spot with their über expensive 1911s. Both were fixed by cleaning and tuning extractor. In both cases the owners bragged how clean their pistols were. I removed extractor and cleaned out an incredible amount of residue, then repoloshed extractor with some Emory cloth, both pistols fired perfectly thereafter. Here's a link to the extractor tuning that I follow.

http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

I have a Remington 1911 R1 that I have put everything through. I am past 500 rounds and not a jam, fail to feed or fire on this gun. My buddy has a Springfield Armory Champion model 1911, with a match barrel. And while his is more accurate it will not eat hollow points or wad cutters.

Just the build of the gun probably.

~ Ben

Edited by rhyfelwr

Yes , failure to go into battery.  This happens much more frequently with Lead, RN or SWC,.  OAL is 1.260, and fit in case gauge...  These are my reloads and I have a some issues in my R1, and Colt CC, but less frequent.  But I have had it happen with FMJ FN 200 gr as well, but only in the Sig.  Shot in a match Sat. with no FTB, just didn't do to slidelock a few times.  But this was with FMJ RN, 4.7gr Bullseye.  It was cold, don't know if it was the mag(s), Wilsons, or maybe low temps and lighter load?  Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, maybe time to eat a little crow?  I bashed my Sig 1911 pretty good.  On the advice of some on this forum sent my barrel to Tim Calhoun.  What a great guy!  Helped with getting my reloads more to spec.  But he also did a little throat work on the barrel.  This morning (yes, it was cold)  went through about 150 rounds of mixed brass, LRN,LSWC, JFP, and JRN without any problems.  So hopefully things stay this way, and am a big fan of Tim's.

• Like 1