SIG 1911s and reliability.

I've heard all kinds of horror stories about SIG 1911s and functioning issues. The purpose of this pistol if I buy it would be home defense primarily, with the possibility of getting my CCW later and carrying it. I would likely want to use one of the awesome new self defense ammo out there. 

Thoughts? Experiences?

The reason for considering the SIG is due to a price which I feel is awesome. $840 gets all of this:

-1911 railed pistol(either a Nitron or XO model? cant tell from the info available)

-CPL-1 laser

-holster with integrated mag pouch

-2 8rd mags

-speed loader

-case

It is brand new and will be built upon receipt of order( has custom engravings, its a commemorative unit purchase)

Or I can get a P226 scorpion for $939 (meh...9mm)

Or a .40 cal P250....DAO trigger...buying before trying is kind of worrisome for me, though $440 seems like an ok price?

There are rifles available too, but no sure I am ready to throw down $1300 or $1600 for a 516 or 716..especially since I already have two other rifles and no pistols...

I am looking for purchasing my first 1911, and the Sig was at the top of my list.  I've read lots of message boards covering every model.  I'm looking to spend approximately $800 or less.  The Sig has tons of features for a great price, but the problems some people report are scaring me away from them.  I think I'm going with a Springfield Loaded.  I can get it about $100 cheaper than a Sig, and their customer service department is second to none.  The Sig 1911s are fine looking pistols.

Do not buy the 250.  Horrible little pistol.

I would also advise not buying a $1000 226.  You will kick yourself later, trust me on this.  I threw away hundreds of dollars on my 229 b/c I wanted "cool" and "new." 

That has been my assesment from looking around. I've always wanted a 45. But not sure if the the SIGs are good? Hence the thread. The piston ARs I emntioned are sweet..especially the 716....7.62!!!!!!! But I have a Garand and Mosin M44 already..so..

I know a couple of people that have the Sig and love it. It's a pretty stout (read heavy) 1911 and as far as 1911s go seems to be fairly enjoyable to shoot. Neither has had any issues of which I am aware. If I was in the market for a 1911 I might have jumped on that purchase too. (A friend of mine sent me the flyer for it). 

I love my p250. The trigger is long but not an issue if you know how to shoot.

You're the first person I've heard that likes it.  I spent a say with one and it is hands down the worst pistol I've ever shot.  My friend ended up dumping it at a big loss.

ESpace, watch those unit orders.....sometimes they're ok and sometimes the company screws the unit.  My last unit did one and many guys had issues with their pistols, ranging from cosmetic to functional.  The delivery times also get jacked around.

Were those unit orders through SIG? 

Option #2 for me is to just wait two months until I get home and buy something on the market, but because of the situation politically prices are through the roof everywhere, though I do have a  line on a P220 in stainless for $800. If I wait though I would rather spend around $400-$600 honestly. Doesn't have to be a 1911. Just something my wife and I both enjoy.

Roger, unit order Sigs.

If you're looking for a Sig, I would recommend checking out Summitgunbroker.com.  The guy's name is Mark and he gets tons of police trade ins.  I've bought 5-6 pistols from him over the years.  Look closely at the CPO program.  They're "used" Sigs but they go back to the factory and QC'd and carry a factory warranty.  He doesn't have a lot in stock right now but he usually gets in a lot.  Back a few months ago, some were selling for $350ish.

If you're into Glocks, You can order from GTDist.com or the LEO/mil Glock dealer out east....Craigs I think.  You can pick them up for $400 new.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a new Sig.  You're paying quite a bit of money for something that loses a chunk of its value quickly.  Like I said, been there, done that. 

• Like 1
If you look around you can probably find an older German or West German P220 close to your price range. You'd be getting a much better example of what Sig can do with a 45 IMHO. Check out sigforum
  • Like 1

summitgunbroker looks interesting, especially since he doesn't seem to be on the price gouging band wagon.

No, he's a good dude.  I've been buying from him for years.  He deals heavily in police trade in weapons but even his new guns aren't stupidly priced. 

HLB is right on the money too.

A friend of mine just told me to buy the Sig 1911. He said if I hate it, he would buy it from me for what I paid for it. Bold endorsement. Hm...

Did some more searching, lots of people LOVE them. My next two choices are a Glock in .45 or a XDm .45...but once I buy either one of those, I imagine I would be wondering what if I had paid just a few hundred more?

There's a Sig 220 in the equipment exchange for $575.  If I were in your shoes, I would buy the Glock or 220 and put that money towards extra ammo.  .45 isn't cheap and I think you'd be better served by choosing simple and affording to shoot it.

I own a new sig 1911 and last Saturday I took it to the range. I put a 100 rounds of fmj though it and it ate them all. Then I put 16 rounds of defensive hollow points though again no problems. I also have a p226 m25, sig pro 2022 in 9mm eats all I feed them. Wife has two p238's no problems
I am now looking at either a p229 or 239 in 9mm for another sig.

IMHO you can't go wrong with a sig 1911 ;)
Guest Bondman6586
Sorry guys little late here but I second scoutfsu. BUT if you are looking at the sig 1911's I could not be happier with my full size scorpion. Had it for several years now and it is probably my favorite pistol to shoot. Decisions. Decisions. Haha

I've posted previously about my Sig 1911 issues.  My gun works fine with FMJ bullets, factory or reloaded.  But a PIA with lead of any sort.  Great shooter and I really like it.........when it works.  I've shot hundreds if not a thousand rounds or more through it.  But, it seems this may be a throating issue.  Tim Calhoun has it, and from I understand is one of the best around.  I'm hoping it works, because I really like the gun as much as I hate it at times.  However, unless you are really a 1911 guy, which means they do have to be fiddled with some, clean, etc.  The MP or XD is a great choice.

• 1 month later...
Guest Hound

The reason for considering the SIG is due to a price which I feel is awesome. $840 gets all of this:

-1911 railed pistol(either a Nitron or XO model? cant tell from the info available)

-CPL-1 laser

-holster with integrated mag pouch

-2 8rd mags

-speed loader

-case

It is brand new and will be built upon receipt of order( has custom engravings, its a commemorative unit purchase)

The unit im working with is doing the same thing.