SIG 1911s and reliability.

Guest Hound

Or I can get a P226 scorpion for $939 (meh...9mm)

Or a .40 cal P250....DAO trigger...buying before trying is kind of worrisome for me, though $440 seems like an ok price?

There are rifles available too, but no sure I am ready to throw down $1300 or $1600 for a 516 or 716..especially since I already have two other rifles and no pistols...

Again.. the same thing... Are you on FOB Airborne right now?

Option #2 for me is to just wait two months until I get home and buy something on the market, but because of the situation politically prices are through the roof everywhere, though I do have a  line on a P220 in stainless for $800. If I wait though I would rather spend around $400-$600 honestly. Doesn't have to be a 1911. Just something my wife and I both enjoy.

As I'm sure others have noticed, gun prices had started falling back towards what used to be considered normal before the failure of additional legislation - if you're inclined to wait, the market may be even more favorable two months from now than it is today, but I will add a caveat - the guns that weren't up for any restrictions, e.g. 1911s, revolvers, etc., did not have the same distorted price increases as high-cap handguns and semiauto rifles, so the prices may be more "sticky" for them.  National demand for handguns is also as high as it has ever been according to the last set of sales figures I saw, so that would need to be taken into consideration as well.

Just an update from my previous post.  Since Tim worked on my barrel it has been flawless with everything.  SWC, RN, HP....everything.  And is the most accurate gun I have.  It is a blast to shoot.  If you like 1911s, go for it.  By the way, throw the Sig mags away and stick to Wilson.

• Like 1

Just an update from my previous post.  Since Tim worked on my barrel it has been flawless with everything.  SWC, RN, HP....everything.  And is the most accurate gun I have.  It is a blast to shoot.  If you like 1911s, go for it.  By the way, throw the Sig mags away and stick to Wilson.

Haven't had any problems with the sig mags with my 220 or TacOps, but I do heavily favor Wilson or McCormick mags over most other mags. Especially if it's a Kimber 1911 mag.

Just for clarity, the Sig Mag does not hold the top round securely.  It moves forward slightly, and in a quick reload, it may protrude a little more than the index finger can easily push back.  At least that is my problem; not had that issue with the Wilson mags.

• 2 weeks later...

this is the only 1911 that has stayed. I will say that the sig mags are not the best.

[URL=http://s38.photobucket.com/user/badcompany13/media/100_1571.jpg.html]100_1571.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s38.photobucket.com/user/badcompany13/media/100_1568.jpg.html]100_1568.jpg[/URL]

• 3 months later...

Again.. the same thing... Are you on FOB Airborne right now?

sorry I ghost ot back to this thread so late. I was sent home because my father passed. I was not at airborne but I did spend a few hours there at night on the lz there on several occasions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

• 4 weeks later...

I prefer the Springfield Loaded..

Both are excellent 1911s, however right now I have to give my SIG TAC OPS the edge over my SA Fully Loaded.  Perhaps its the "latest shiny object syndrome" affect, but the SIG just seems to be the better shooter of the two to me.

Then again...., my Loaded has near 20,000 rounds through it - - - Maybe its time for it to be sent back home to SA's Custom Shop for some pimping.  :dirty:  

BTW, this is what holster wear looks like on stainless steel after thousands of presentations........

2rn9bh4.jpg

• Like 1

Rather late to the party I know but I thought I'd mention that I have two SIG 1911's; one is a C3 compact and the other a Scorpion Carry which is actually currently out on loan to a friend of mine.

I've had very little problem with malfunctions with either example regardless of ammo and I think they are a fine example of the venerable 1911; especially for the $$$ spent.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

I dont care for Sig 1911s or S&Ws either simply because they went with an external extractor. Internal extractors have worked for over 100 years dont try to fix something that isnt broken.

I like to think of the external extractor as actually fixing the one thing about the 1911 platform that really did need some evolutionary refinement applied to it.  The internal extractor frequently needs to be tuned or tweaked as your round count increases ever higher, but the external extractor really doesn't.

To each his own, of course, but an external extractor would never deter me from owning a particular 1911.  I see it as a plus in many cases.

• Like 1

I dont care for Sig 1911s or S&Ws either simply because they went with an external extractor. Internal extractors have worked for over 100 years dont try to fix something that isnt broken.

I have to say that even as something of a 1911 purist I like the external extractors when they are designed properly as they work exceptionally well and consistently.

It's worth noting that Kimber had some bid problems when they tried using them and I don't believe they ever got it right; they just went back with internal.AFAIK but that was one company who did a crappy job with them...the ones I've had from other manufacturers worked great.

JMB was a bright, talented guy.  But to say we can't make improvements 100 years of engineering and tech later seems off to me -- esp since there are so many "not quite" 1911 designs that are very nice pistols.  Take my carry gun, the sig 938.... its not really a 1911, no.  Its a modern take on it designed for concealed carry and with some of the --erm-- "historic" design "features" corrected such as the annoying grip safety and barrel bushing.   So long as the pure guns are available as well, I have been very pleased with the variety of "not exactly 1911" offerings.  I do wish they would try poking a SAO action in a few other frames for variety once in a while, but apparently if you want a SAO you get a 1911 frame shape or else. 

The only problem I have seen with the external extractors is that you can't adjust the hook to breech face distance. If it is off, you are pretty much sunk. I've had two in my shop that had this issue and both had been back to the factory multiple times. That problem is totally fixable with the traditional internal extractor or the aftec.

The aftec IMO, is the best of both worlds. I use them in every gun I own, and unless instructed to do otherwise, they are standard in every gun I build. They use springs to tension and pivots on the firing pin stop while keeping the traditional look. LOVE THEM!!!

The only problem I have seen with the external extractors is that you can't adjust the hook to breech face distance. If it is off, you are pretty much sunk. I've had two in my shop that had this issue and both had been back to the factory multiple times.

Hey Tim,

Who was the maker of the 1911s that you had the external extractor problems?

Mark

Hey Tim,

Who was the maker of the 1911s that you had the external extractor problems?

Mark

Well, they were two different manufacturers. Both companies make pretty good guns and stuff happens. It's is not hard to for tolerances to stack in one direction or another. I know the one gun had the top end totally replaced by the factory but I don't know what happened to the other. 1 minute and two gauge pins and they could catch that at the factory. Most factories don't check that spec though. 

• 1 year later...

Well it's time to update this old thread. I've put close to 1000 rds of FMJ ammo through this thing. Some of it nice ammo..some of it scary looking steel case or worse. Not a single malfunction. IT seems my worries were over nothing and again I am grateful for this community contributing to this topic of conversation. You guys rock!