• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All 'bout clear as mud, too.

From KnifeRights.org email (you mean you guys ain't members?):

"TSA to Allow Small Knives Onboard Aircraft Again In an announcement at an aviation conference in New York, TSA administrator John Pistole said that effective April 25 the TSA was is lifting its ban on small knives in the cabin. It wasn't entirely clear for sure what small knives, exactly, would be allowed, because there wasn't a lot of specificity to what Pistole said, or at least what was reported on various news sites.

Pistole said that the allowable knives will be limited to "retractable blades shorter than 6 centimeters (2.4 inches) and narrower than 1/2 inch at the widest point."  We're guessing that by "retractable" he meant "folding." Still prohibited would be "knives with locking blades or molded handles," Pistole said. While "locking blades" is a straightforward, if irrational, discriminator, it isn't at all clear what he meant by "molded handles."  

He also said razor blades and box cutters would still be banned. Citing the 9/11 terrorists that used box cutters to kill flight attendants on the aircraft they hijacked, "there is just too much emotion involved with those," Pistole said.

Also, citing concerns raised by U.S. pilots, flight attendants and Air Marshals, certain types of small knives used primarily for hunting or as weapons will also continue to be prohibited. Again, it isn't at all clear what that means, but it sounds like an entirely subjective, and again irrational, standard that will likely include features like serrated blades or any blade style that appears "aggressive" to a TSA screener, at a guess. It will no doubt take a while for all involved to figure out where the line is between permitted and prohibited."

- OS

This is the same TSA that was confiscating fingernail clippers just a few years ago. No thanks, I'll check my folder I carry no matter what length they allow because I'm not going to put myself in the potential situation of choking a TSA dimwit to death when he tries to keep my personal knife for himself.

Yeah,it'll just be a delaying mess, I'm sure. He's an update from KnifeRights.org along with a slide show link I can't see till I get back to broadband.

----------------------

UPDATE: TSA to Allow Small Knives Onboard Aircraft Again

In an announcement at an aviation conference in New York, TSA administrator John Pistole said that effective April 25 the TSA was is lifting its ban on small knives in the cabin. His comments weren't entirely clear and the TSA has now posted a slide show on their website illustrating what will be allowed and what will still be prohibited.  Click here to view the TSA "Changes to Prohibited Items List (PIL)"

Pistole said that the allowable knives will be limited to "retractable blades shorter than 6 centimeters (2.4 inches) and narrower than 1/2 inch at the widest point." From the slide show it is clear that by "retractable" he meant "folding." Still prohibited would be "knives with locking blades or molded handles," Pistole said. Fixed blade knives are also prohibited.

Keychain sized knives like the Victorinox "Classic" Swiss Army Knife or Leatherman "Squirt" or "Style" multi-tools are allowed. Also allowed would be the 84mm SAKs, such as the Victorinox Tinker that is illustrated in the slide show or the Cadet. Those SAKs have a 2.3-inch blade, just under the limit. There is bound to be some confusion and some very disappointed and perhaps upset travelers at the airports due to the fact that except for the blade being 5-7mm too long (Wenger or Victorinox, respectively), the most common 91 mm SAKs look virtually identical to the smaller frame SAK that is allowed. Whatever knife you are carrying through the airport, be sure to ]measure the blade length from the handle to the tip (not just the sharp edge).

NOTE: The changes to the Prohibited Items List are effective April 25, 2013. Don't try to carry a knife onboard before then!

To view the slides below full size, click here to view the TSA "Changes to Prohibited Items List (PIL)" slide show in PDF format.

I hate to say it but i've flown at least 7 times in the last 2 years with a Gerber Curve attached to a Niteize S-Biner along with my keys (can't stand them in my pocket so i walk around like a janitor). I throw them in the pan along with the wallet, belt and the rest. Never had a word said to me about it. Usually they'll say "you can't stack shoes on your laptop!" Or i've even had them question me about having a variety of inkpens in my pack. But the knife? Nada.

For the record, I always carry a pocket knife which i put in my luggage but it's always when i'm in the line that i realize i have that on my keychain. I figure if they say someting about it i'll tell them to keep it or chuck it in the trash.