Preserving Tobacco

I know I will probably get a lot of, we'll it will help you quit. But my Redman Golden Blend is like some of y'all's coffee. I was wondering if there's any good way to preserve the tobacco for my bug out, and go bags? Do I need to get one of those food preserving/shrink wrapping machines? This stuff really doesn't last for long.

Chewing tobacco doesn't dry out very quickly (in my experience), why not try it? Personally, I feel like I will have much larger issues if SHtF day happens, really! Now I will grant you that I will probably greatly hate life without my nicotine fix but, maybe I wont even remember or think about it.

If the SHTF its little things like some tobacco that will help to keep a little sense of normalcy. Plus it will make excellent barter material for guys like me who for some odd reason only keep a day or twos supply on hand. If the SHTF I'd probably even trade some precious ammo for a few cartons of marlboros.

I'm thinking food save bags would probably work well but I'd also be nervous about sealing it too moist, I'd rather have it dry than moldy.
  • Like 1

Well, if after the SHTF you still have a freezer... you can put them in a zip-lock bag and remove as much air from the bag as possible.

They should last several months. No freezer and unopened, they should be OK for a month, or two without becoming real strong?

You may be able to find some seeds to put back, even then I would try to get more after each is a year old.

"Left-handed" seeds might be better... if a trade needs to be made after the SHTF?

I use a [url=http://www.smokersoutletonline.com/topomatic-cigarette-machine.html] TopoMatic[/url] machine to make my own (MYO) cigarettes. 

I have tried a couple of methods for tobacco (smoking type) storage since '08.

I vacuum sealed 2 pounds of tobacco. I placed one in the deep freezer and one in one of my Gamma Lid 5 gallon buckets I use for intermittent storage goods.

I tried the Gamma Bucket after 1 year...it was as good as when I first sealed it.

The next year I tried the one from the freezer...same results...good as new.

I am currently using a commercially package "can" (cardboard with vac and foiled sealed top on it) of [url=http://www.smokes-spirits.com/Productdetails.aspx/Tobacco/TopTobacco/opt/product/202/store/16/category/1763/campaign/0]Top tobacco[/url] I picked up at Walmart for about $9.00 IIRC.

This one has simply been setting in a Gamma lidded bucket since '09. There was a hint of dryness to it when I opened it.

I poured the tobacco into a 6"x11" Tupperware-like container, moistened a strip of paper towel, and placed it on top of the tobacco. I left it unopened for 2 hours. When I opened the container, the paper towel was dry and the tobacco re-moistened. Worked great.

FWIW...I've also stored [url=http://www.smokersoutletonline.com/backwoods-cigars.html%5D Backwoods Cigars%5B/url in my %5Burl=http://beprepared.com/food-storage/storage-containers.html?SC=GOOGLE&OC=GOOG035018&brand=40&gclid=CPLehID19LUCFQbqnAodokUAlA] Gamma Sealed[/url] bucket with good results after one year.

I would think that with the inherent moisture content of chewing tobacco it shouldn't be too difficult to store for a length of time.

I will probably pick up a few pouches to give it a try.

Since I haven't been a tobacco chewing fella, could anyone recommend a good brand for my storage.experiment ?

You can freeze it, vacuum seal it, or keep it in a humidor. In a pinch, dried out chewing tobacco or snuff can be rewetted by sprinkling it with water. Freezing it afterward that helps to blend the water and tobacco. You can also remoisten it by simply chewing it, but moist tobacco is much preferred to dusty, dry stuff.