Need new gun for wife..

Guest silly34

Guest silly34

My wife is very petite so we are trying to find a gun that she can conceal somewhat. We started her with a Walther P22, it fit her hand the best and was easier to conceal. But I want her to have something a little bigger for stopping power. I have an XD 40 SC and love it, she has shot it several times but am worried it is a little too much for her as a regular carry. Any suggestions?

B.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest m4coyote

I made the mistake of purchasing a Smith & Wesson M&P9c for my petite wife. She found it to be very comfortable in her hands, and liked its looks.

The problem came when it was time to load the magazines, and charge the slide. She sliced her thumb on the feed lips, and had obvious difficulty charging the weapon. She also managed to make the little 9c stovepipe - by visually flinching or limp wristing. I and she really wanted a hand gun that she alone could totally manage without difficulty - load, charge, and shoot. Since recieving it back from S&W, I have taken this 9c to the range once (by myself) for a 100 round session, and had zero malfunctions. I shot two or three magazines through it after her stovepipe, and had no issues with malfunctions.

Last weekend we went to Benton Shooters supply, and she really liked the look and feel of the little S&W 638 Bodyguard. She purchased it, and bugged me all weekend to shoot it, but we were too far from a range to give it a try. We took it out for a spin yesterday, and she really appreciated the light weight, ease of loading, and ease of firing. She is truly happy with "her" purchase. I would suggest that you and your wife both go to the gun shop, and let her determine what weapon fits her best.

Remembering that I am a wheelgunner, an S&W J frame is what my wife shoots - she is going to take class for her HCP soon.

I am not a wheel gun person myself, but my wife is. She carried a S&W .38 police bulldog for a year and then started complaining about it being too heavy, so she just recently go a new air weight S&W .38 and she loves it.

Guest Old goat

My wife has a Sig 232, loves it. She started out with Smith 9mm (ladysmith) but it didn't work out. Best to take her shopping.

Guest JavaGuy
I tried to trade my wife off for a gun, but couldn't find any takers. :rolleyes:

Yep, when I saw the title, my thoughts went that way also... but you beat me to it. :D

Send pic of wife.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Take her to a shop, let her pick one out. Mine likes a 5 shot 38 revolver. Bersa .380, while a little weak, may also do the trick. Worst comes to worst, try to find a 1903M Colt in .380 or .32 - very light, slim, easy recoil and operation. Downside on that is price.

My wife uses a j-frame and loves my Colt Government MDL 380. Is looks a lot like the

Iver Johnson Pony .380 in the guns for sale thread. But the Colts are around 600.00 to 800.00 if you can find one.

+1 to the 230 series SIGS

Guest DrBoomBoom

My wife likes the J-frame also, she has a 642. She's also got a Charles Daly Hi Power clone that she can really shoot. I agree, get her trying out a lot of different guns. I'd have never guessed she'd like the Hi Power so much.

Guest Brian@GunDepot

Ruger LCP

Keltec P3AT

Kahr PM9 / CW9

Sig p232

Bersa 380

Smith J frame

Taurus J frame

Goto the gun store... after she holds a few, she'll find the one she likes/fits best.

hi,

i handled a pm9 today and it's a nice carry' for a lady. narrow grip, racks easily and a decent trigger pull although a bit pricey. --my S.O. carries a keltec p-32 -- also a nice lady gun but a bit of a weak caliber.

also a +1 on the 230/232 although not an easy rack till broken in.[also pricey]

the bersa thunder .380 is probably the best 'bang for the buck'.:squint:

definitely take the Mrs. with you though. --- she's the one to satisfy.

good luck,

bob

Guest TNDixieGirl

I agree with the others saying take her shopping, let her try them on, and then she can decide for herself what feels right. It took me months to decide, but I'm glad I waited and didn't rush to get the first lightweight gun I touched.

Guest jackdog

My wife is flat in love with her Kel Tec PF9. It is light and easy to conceal and she loves shooting with it. To the tune of 200 or 300 round a week. Recoil does not brother at all