CHATTANOOGA GETS A VW PLANT!!!!

WOOHOO...this should help bring in some jobs....

VW chooses Tennessee for new U.S. plant

April Wortham

bilde?Avis=CA&Dato=20080715&Kategori=ANA02&Lopenr=295769823&Ref=AR&border=0&MaxW=120&MaxH=90Martin Winterkorn, CEO of Volkswagen AG

Volkswagen AG announced today that it will build a factory in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Initial production capacity for the $1 billion plant is expected to be 150,000 vehicles, including a new mid-sized sedan designed for North America. Production is scheduled to begin in early 2011.

"The U.S. market is an important part of our volume strategy, and we are now very resolutely accessing that market," said VW group CEO Martin Winterkorn.

Winterkorn said the factory will play a key role in boosting VW brand sales in the United States to 800,000 units by 2018.

As recently as last week, most speculation had VW locating the plant in Alabama. Michigan was a distant third choice for the project.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Being that the unemployment rate is already very, very low in Chattanooga...there will be a lot of new folks calling Chattanooga home.

This is H-U-G-E news...5 years from now Chattanooga will be a different city. I am literally in awe that we got it!

Guest Glock Jockey
Being that the unemployment rate is already very, very low in Chattanooga...there will be a lot of new folks calling Chattanooga home.

This is H-U-G-E news...5 years from now Chattanooga will be a different city. I am literally in awe that we got it!

I take it you don't work in the construction field.It has been slow all year.

I take it you don't work in the construction field.It has been slow all year.

Nope...Finance/economics. Despite the slowdown in the economy Chattanooga is still relatively strong. Last I looked the area unemployment rate was still well under 5%. Which basically means that if anyone really needed work to put food on the plate they can find it without undue hardship. The downtown area seems like the whole place is under construction. They are building everywhere. The residential side of things was long overdue for a meltdown in this area simply because the population hasn't changed in a decade.

Guest Glock Jockey

Smoke and mirrors.Yes there are several large projects downtown but the meat and potatoes mid to small construction projects are way down.Call a Masonry contractor and ask if they are hiring masons,you will be told no as we have people layed off now.Finding a job making less money may keep the unemployment rate down but with the rising cost of everything else you ain't putting too much food on the table. But this is an election year and construction always slows down during one.Or at least it has for the 30 years I have worked.Perhaps this VW plant will be the catalyst for more growth.

PM sent.Welcome to the forum Glockjockey,I think we worked together on the Whitfield Acadamy job in Dalton a few years back.The fact that 2 masons are surfing the web at 3pm should be an indication work is slow lol.What I have noticed is an increase in formed and poured concrete and metal stud frame construction.Also the illegal amigo factor has a lot to do with it as well.Doing jobs Americans won't do my ass,coming in and underbidding with your cheap illegal workers is more like it.

Guest goomba

I'm Hoping that the VW plant will have internal security... I'll be putting in a app if they have armed security too...

I really hope they dont contract it out... I work for a good company, but I know the competition...& they are bottomfeeders....

well, if nothing else, I'll be looking at the job positions that VW will have.

Guest canynracer
Yeah, and employees will be able to carry their guns in restaurants just across the state line. :popcorn:

Wont matter where they go for lunch, the employees wont be armed anyway..

I guarantee they will have a "No Weapons" policy on any part of campus....

It should be good for the entire area. I know several of my contractors are ecstatic about what this could mean. It will, without a doubt, benefit the entire area, including Northern GA and AL. I have heard speculation that for every job on the VW campus, ~7 more will also be created or used to support the plant, whether it be subcontracted maintenance after the plant is up and running or parts being built elsewhere for VW to purchase. After-all, it doesn't make sense to assemble your product in TN and not have parts being built close by to support the assemblies.

Which models will they be building there? Great news for the state.

Definitely a new model geared at the US market that is supposed to be between a Jetta and Passat and directly compete with the Toyota Camry. I also saw a Porsche SUV mentioned...