VIDEO: Para Ordnance P14-45 1911 Feeding Issues

Fitty%

Is the gun new? 1911's generally need a new recoil spring every 1K rounds. Also, make sure to grease the rails and lugs. Do not use oil.

I would check a few things. First, make sure the comp isn't dragging on the barrel. Might want to remove it to troubleshoot. Next I would check the extractor. It looks like it is hanging up as the rim tries to slide under it. Remove the slide and make sure the rim of a loaded round will easily slide up under the extractor. It should have a chamfer to it and if it is square it could be causing the problems.

If you are going to do a fluff and buff on the ramp I would also do the breechface. Take a very fine ceramic stone and polish the middle 1/2 of the breechface. I would not do any fluff and buff until I have eliminated all other causes.

Here is good illustration of what a extractor should look like:

http://www.m1911.org/images/extractor.gif

Image from here:

http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly
  • Like 1

i bought a s&w e series that did the same thing. sent it back to s&w twice could not get problem resolved. traded it for glock 30 hasn't missed a lick since. i am not a fan of the 1911 platform due to its unreliabilty. if you keep it i would recommend massive amounts of malfunction practice using rear sight on holster,shoe,belt,tabletop,posts,ect.

good luck and hope you can get it to work.

with a comp, you will need full power loads and u said the gun was tight. normally if run a comp hot ammo and a lighter recoil spring. so there still enough recoil to work the gun.

if want to kept the comp, talk to some uspsa open shooters to get a set up right.

My 1911 has yet to have a malfunction in 3500+ rounds but it has been gone through from top to bottom.

Dolomite

thats the beauty of a glock,it shots right out of the box. if i spend the money a 1911 costs i expect it to work out of the box also. i suppose you can get a 1911 to work after doing extensive work to it but thats like buying a cadillac and having to take to a mechanic so you can drive it home.

Is the gun new? 1911's generally need a new recoil spring every 1K rounds. Also, make sure to grease the rails and lugs. Do not use oil.

I would check a few things. First, make sure the comp isn't dragging on the barrel. Might want to remove it to troubleshoot. Next I would check the extractor. It looks like it is hanging up as the rim tries to slide under it. Remove the slide and make sure the rim of a loaded round will easily slide up under the extractor. It should have a chamfer to it and if it is square it could be causing the problems.

If you are going to do a fluff and buff on the ramp I would also do the breechface. Take a very fine ceramic stone and polish the middle 1/2 of the breechface. I would not do any fluff and buff until I have eliminated all other causes.

Here is good illustration of what a extractor should look like:

http://www.m1911.org/images/extractor.gif

Image from here:

http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

Dolomite

Thanks for the advice man....the comp isnt dragging on the barrel. I will check the rest of those things when I can because I just got done moving lol.

A 1911 is like a M-16/AR-15, they like to be wet to work. Plenty of oil makes for a good day. I have been using synthetic grease from the auto parts store on al my guns for years. They just don't give me trouble. I use shock buffs on all my 1911"s. So I cut 1 1/2 loops off the recoil spring, when I replace them. 

thats the beauty of a glock,it shots right out of the box. if i spend the money a 1911 costs i expect it to work out of the box also. i suppose you can get a 1911 to work after doing extensive work to it but thats like buying a cadillac and having to take to a mechanic so you can drive it home.

Yes but I probably have less in my Metro Arms than your Glock :)

Dolomite

if you think it is a extracter problem, unless it is a older Para it will be a PXT. be sure clean it and the parts move freely and springs are in good shape and spring sleeve is in the correct position.

not remove the pxt unless you have the owners manual as i recall the 1st time or 2 it was a bxtxh.

still believe in a lighter recoil spring with the comp.

i no longer shoot 1911 but ALL handguns are compared to the 1911.

Yes but I probably have less in my Metro Arms than your Glock :)

Dolomite

yes after 7 or 8 rounds your correct :woohoo:

Im really thinking of just trading for a Glock 21

you wont be disappointed.   :pleased:

I call BS on this, every 1911 i have Colt's, Ruger and even taurus has yet to produce a failure right out of the box.  Even with the factory mags.  I use wilson combat mags in all my 1911's but i have shot at least 50 rounds through all of them with the factory mags and have yet to produce a failure to feed or fire with the factory mags. I like glocks ok but this statement to me is typical glock owner balogne.  I have or have had many glocks and they are great firearms, but stating this about the 1911's is simply inaccurate, at least based on my experience with the 5 i am associated with. However the only Para i have had any experience with was the black ops and it shot fine over 200 rounds out of the box.

Edited by Krull

Yeah, typical Glock quote.  I have 1911, Sigs, S&W, and they all worked out of the box.