CZ Shadow Target no go for IDPA?

Hoping an IDPA SO/RO will see this and chime in, but is the CZ Shadow Target legal for IDPA?  I realize it has to make the 39oz weight, which shouldn't be a problem.  However, Page 22 for ESP, Excluded Modifications, #1 Full length dust covers of carbon or stainless steel.  There are A LOT of threads saying this pistol is legal, but I would rather hear it from an IDPA official.

For those unfamiliar with the pistol:

http://czcustom.com/shadowtarget.aspx

91159_logo1000_0043.jpg

I can't help you  on your question, but must say this is one beautiful pistol.

I'm pretty sure I'm in love...I just got thru looking for one. Didn't find one, btw.

Excuse me now...I need some alone time with this pic.

I had the same issue with my SP-01. I got it down to weight and was told differing things about the dust cover.

An IDPA thread on the CZ forum pointed me to the exact spot in the rules where it clearly states that ANY gun legal for SSP is also legal for ESP.

I still hear about some matches turning people away, though.

I got sick of all the turmoil and got a 75 Shadow instead. Edited by BigK

Here is the ESP Rule: 

EXCLUDED Modifications (NON-Inclusive list):

1. Full length dust covers of carbon or stainless steel

What part of the FLDC is an external "modification"?  Did it come from the factory that way....Yes.

BTW... from pg. 21 of the rulebook:

Pistols approved for SSP may also be used in ESP and CDP depending upon caliber, even if the pistol in question has a fulllength dust cover. However, should the pistol in question have a modification that removes it from SSP, it must meet all other division criteria for ESP or CDP, again depending upon caliber.

Just needs to make weight.

Below is an excerpt from the IDPA Rules Clarification section on www.idpaforum.com

Robert,

Part 1:
The question frequently comes up as to what constitutes a full length dust cover (FLDC).  There is a "word of mouth" clarification from you that says: a dust cover longer than 3.25" from the rear of the trigger pin slide stop pin to the end of the dust cover is considered full length.  Is this correct? 

Part 1
At this time there is no true definition for FLDC. The 3.25 is an option we are looking at but it include its own problems. It only works well on 1911 platform guns.

Part 2:
For a gun with a steel FLDC to be legal, it must meet all of the SSP requirements.  I assume this includes being double action, DAO, or safe action.  Correct? 
Part 2
Correct, it must be in a SSP legal configuration to be legal. You could start it cocked and locked for ESP but it must have the DA ability. I hope that I am clear.

Thank you,

Robert Ray
International Defensive Pistol Association

(w)870-545-3886

Edited by HOGNUT
  • Like 1

BTW:  If you were the one that drop theirs today at Gallatin, I'll give you 50.00 for it......Just kidding. 

It is worth a lot more than that.

LOL, I think I would cry if I dropped it. That wasn't me, but I was out there
The SO told me the gun wasn't legal. I questioned it and got a procedural.
OK. I was confused if you were joking because in the video it looked like you told your wife to post one. It's nothing personal. I got plenty of penalties today. I just wanted to figure out if I need to shoot my XD next time. I had a great time today even though I managed to forget the IDPA cof rules after shooting steel outlaw in Dickson. What do you mean I can't shoot the hostage?!?! :)
  • Like 1

I told my son that his fancy dancy pistol would raise questions...lol. I have shot it though and shooting 10 yard bullseye, its fricken awesome.

Me ... I used my beater Springfield G.I. model today at Gallatin at turtle's pace, but did manage 'most accurate'...guess not bad for a first timer. I credit my RO's for all their great instruction and patience for us 'new guys.' Thanks Gallatin for a fun shoot.

Learn to shoot the one you have first.  That was the stage I told him to load another magazine right after the load and make ready so that he would start with IDPA capacity.

Quit hogging my praise!

I think I see a cz in my future.

Regardless of the rules I would say the shadow target is ESP. Especially since mine came from Angus' shop with custom work. But either way it is an awesome gun and I hope to make it a go to IDPA gun. I have been shooting an XD in ESP, which is a great gun, but I'm really starting to like the CZ as I'm getting used to the trigger and having to use the manual safety.