Compact or Subcompact 45

Guest kj4gxu

• Administrator

Over penetration from a handgun in most any common caliber isn't too much of a concern. You have a greater chance of hitting the lottery twice than having to actually use your weapon and run the risk of over penetration. Think how much velocity is lost after 16" of flesh, bone, organs and clothing. If you miss than you miss, regardless of caliber.

This.  I get so tired of people being told that they should worry about over-penetration.  If i had to chose between expansion or depth of penetration from a projectile, I'd chose the one that went the deepest every time.

I have the EMP 9mm and the Micro Compact .45, both are easy to conceal but I shoot my commander or full size .45s much better.  I find it hard to hide the commander or full size with the full grip. I'm partial to the shorter 1911s but the XDs is a very capable sub-compact .45 too.  

Edited by red dirt
I am going to give more of my opinion, 9/40/357/45 I truthfully don't care. To me I care more about the platform itself, Give me a Glock in Compact size, I like the thinner 9/40/357. I don't care for the fat 45/10'ss

I tend to like a 40 over a 9 for these reasons:
1.If all I can find or use is a FMJ, in a 40 it will out perform any 9mmFMJ especially since very few FMJ are +P
2. The availability of 40 is greater
3. I am seeing 40 ammo as cheap or sometimes cheaper than 9
4. Almost every 40 auto can be made into a 9with as little as a barrel change.
5. In a real emergency 9 or 357sig can be fired out of a 40(please don't try just take my word for it) EMERGENCY only.
6. My attorney on retainer would like to use the argument, "my client chooses the same caliber to protect himself as the police use to protect you"

I never tell anyone they are stupid for choosing a 9 over a 40/45/357. Carry what you are comfortable with.

I am going to give more of my opinion, 9/40/357/45 I truthfully don't care. To me I care more about the platform itself, Give me a Glock in Compact size, I like the thinner 9/40/357. I don't care for the fat 45/10'ss

That's me. I have a 19, 23, and 36. I may or may not buy a 32, since it's simply a barrel swap for the 23.

I rotate between carrying my Glock 23, a M&P Shield 40 and my CQB in .45 ACP. I will ALWAYS choose a .40/.45 over 9mm because penetration is the most important factor in human wounding and bullet retained mass aides in penetration more so than velocity. Since before 1989 studies have shown that hollow point ammo expands less than 70% of the time.

I rotate between carrying my Glock 23, a M&P Shield 40 and my CQB in .45 ACP. I will ALWAYS choose a .40/.45 over 9mm because penetration is the most important factor in human wounding and bullet retained mass aides in penetration more so than velocity. Since before 1989 studies have shown that hollow point ammo expands less than 70% of the time.

Hollowpoint technology has improved vastly since 1989. It's generally accepted to be above 90% now. Velocity actually aids more in penetration, not mass.

I just wanted to weigh in on my most recent trip to the range.  I have a new XDs in .45ACP that I wanted to break in with a couple hundred rounds of ball ammo.  This is the most accurate compact pistol that I have. WOW!

It's not without it's share of recoil, but very controllable, even for quick follow up shots and a quick empty of the mag, all 5 shots were close.  After 200 rounds, I was a little sore in the web of my hand, but nothing too different from shooting a small 380 or small 9mm.

This is nothing against my 9mm's that I usually carry, the Shield M&P/Glock 26 are both easy to shoot also, but the accuracy of this little .45 is nice!  Did I say that it's small too?  Nothing like a full size 1911 or Sig P220, but this is a nice carry pistol if you don't mind 5+1 capacity.

Nice job Springfield.  If you're in the market for a small gun, try the XDs.  

• Like 1

Hollowpoint technology has improved vastly since 1989. It's generally accepted to be above 90% now. Velocity actually aids more in penetration, not mass.

Ahhhhh.......no.......

I guess 25 years of FBI, forensic scientist and medical examiner study were wrong on the subject.......
I was leaning toward a Glock 36 until I fondled an XD-s. I really love this little gun. It shoots phenomenally welll for subcompact, but what surprised me most is how light the percieved recoil is.

My favorite thing is obviously how easily it conceals. I work in an office and NOBODY knows I have it on me. Another thing I like is that the mags are so thin you can stash a couple in a pocket holster in your front pocket pretty easily.

I'm a dyed in the wool 9mm CZ guy, but this little gun is my favorite carry piece by a long shot now.

If you can make it down to the TWRA range near Mt. Juliet with some ammo, I'd be glad to let you give it a run. Edited by BigK

Ahhhhh.......no.......

I guess 25 years of FBI, forensic scientist and medical examiner study were wrong on the subject.......

About the velocity thing or the hollowpoint thing? They may have been right in 1989, but bullet technology is a lot better now. Even if it only expanded 70% of the time, that is still better than plain FMJ.

I've been carrying a XDs for a bit now and really like this little pistol.  It's slim profile and overall weight make it very comfortable for all day carry.  Recoil is surprisingly managable and, with standard pressure ammo, it doesn't wear on the hands too badly during extended range sessions.  I actually find it more pleasent to shoot than some of the 9mm sub compacts.  Recoil isn't quite as snappy.  The XDm is also a great pistol but it is a tad larger and heavier than the XDs. 

Edited by chrisw670
  • 2 weeks later...
Was just about to recommend the G30...I have that along with a G19..both are nearly identical in size other than the G30 being slightly thicker due to the higher caliber. I've shot 1911s, XD's, and kahrs along with my glocks...that being said I have had zero issues with shooting my glocks whether at the range or in training classes, no misfeeds or ejection issues. I would say that the glock triggers are the best out of box and have a very noticeable reset once you learn to recognize the feel or hear the click...everyone has an opinion, and I am in no way a fanboy but after shooting over 5 manufacturers across 3 different calibers I have found my niche...your mileage may vary, good luck finding your carry weapon