Compact or Subcompact 45

Guest kj4gxu

Guest kj4gxu

I'm in the early stages of deciding on my next handgun purchase and I'm seriously considering a compact or sub compact 45 ACP.

This will be for concealed carry (I take the class this friday).

I was hoping to get some opinions from members on their compact or sub compact 45 ACP firearms.

Here are my thoughts/observations/ideas at this point.

XDM - I got a chance to fire an XDM 9 mm at the range last weekend and really liked it.  I'd imagine that the 45 is the same with more kick.  I'm also comfortable with the safety style on this weapon (Grip and trigger).  I also like the 9 or 13 round capacity

XDS - I really like the concealability of this weapon, downside is I've never actually fired a sub compact before.  I did get to handle one in the LGS and liked the feel but will need to actually fire one before making the purchase.  Obviously the smaller size means lower capacity but the goal is not to throw lead around randomly, so I think I can live with that.

Glocks - I'm going to get flamed for this one.  I've never shot a glock but there's something about them that makes me uncomfortable.  I think it's the idea of carrying a round in the chamber, single action with only the trigger safety for external safeties.  i understand that they're very safe from accidental discharges due to drops and such.  The thing that concerns me is that they are very unforgiving if I make an error handling it.  I carry my ruger p95 one in the chamber but de-cocked so if I do accidentally touch the trigger when i don't intend (Which hasn't happened but could) then I've got a long heavy double action trigger pull instead of a light single action making an negligent discharge easier.  Maybe it's lack of confidence due to being new to firearms, I'm just uncomfortable with the single action loaded no external safety except on the trigger.

Sig p250 looks like an option with a decent mag capacity, but although some complain about it I've become very comfortable with the DA/SA trigger type.  I feel comfortable with a nice long DA pull for the first shot then a short easy SA for subsequent shots.  not sure I'd like the DA trigger pull for every shot.

Can anyone share thoughts about the above guns or a compact or sub compact 45 ACP that you're carrying?

Thanks

Eric

Can anyone give me some opinions of what you're carrying in the 

A Glock isn't single action. The trigger pull is much longer than a typical single action pistol. My go-to pistol is a Glock 36. Nothing scary about it to me. Don't mash the trigger, and it won't go bang.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 2

My advice to you would be to get on Glock's website and look at the interactive videos showing you how the safety trigger system works. It will show you that the gun will NOT go bang unless you pull the trigger. The same is true with M&P's and XD's. Any other concern can be trained out of you with proper equipment(holster) and techniques.

With that said I have owned a Glock 36 and really liked everything about it except for round count. I don't like carry guns with manual safeties so I am going to be kind of biased. If you haven't already handled or shot them try out the M&P's as well. They have interchangeable back straps. Not sure if they make a gen 4 Glock 36 yet but if so then it should have the interchangeable back straps as well.

Edit: ^Beat me to it! :up:

Edited by maroonandwhite

I have carried a Series 80 Colt and found that if you keep your finger off the trigger (training, training, and more training) until you have a sight picture, SA or DA, we all go back to our training.  I am looking for something smaller though to carry these days.  Like the Kahr and the Smith & Wesson....  good topic!

I have given up on finding a smallish .45 I will like, I have a major complaint on all of them. Sig P250's are just too thick, Kahrs are too rough with sharp edges feel cheap. Glock 36's are nice but I hate the grip/magazine design. I don't have a lot of trust in micro 1911's nor do I have a interest in a grip safety.
I was excited about the XDS when they came out. My long time shooting friend payed a deposit on one. I actually shot it before he did. Other than shooting continuously low it was perfect for about 100 rounds. It has recently started having weak primer strikes. Out of the last 50 rounds it has had probably 10 weak primer strikes, all factory ammo. He is keeping the gun but says he will wait before sending it back so maybe if it is a common problem they will have addressed the issues.

I have given up on finding a smallish .45 I will like, I have a major complaint on all of them. Sig P250's are just too thick, Kahrs are too rough with sharp edges feel cheap. Glock 36's are nice but I hate the grip/magazine design. I don't have a lot of trust in micro 1911's nor do I have a interest in a grip safety.
I was excited about the XDS when they came out. My long time shooting friend payed a deposit on one. I actually shot it before he did. Other than shooting continuously low it was perfect for about 100 rounds. It has recently started having weak primer strikes. Out of the last 50 rounds it has had probably 10 weak primer strikes, all factory ammo. He is keeping the gun but says he will wait before sending it back so maybe if it is a common problem they will have addressed the issues.

IMO, you gotta fix the G36 with a Pearce +0 mag extension and a Scherer grip plug. Big improvement. Here's mine...

IMG_0793a.jpg

Edited by mikegideon

Sig P250 has different grip sizes you can change (large, med, small). Also it is a DA not DA/SA 

I would go with a compact vs. a sub-compact. You can conceal a compact and it can be a more stable shooter  at least for me. What I would recommend is going to the range and trying out different guns and seeing which one you shoot better and feels good in your hands. 

Edited by joesig

IMO, you gotta fix the G36 with a Pearce +0 mag extension and a Scherer grip plug. Big improvement. Here's mine...

IMG_0793a.jpg

They are an improvement. My best friend since 7th grade has loaned me his G36 several times. Truthfully I do like the G36 more than most every other 45 made, Sig 220's are nice though. The G36 reminds me more of 9/40/357 Glocks which I have 10k rounds of familiarity with over the years. I have followed one of the threads on Glocktalk where a guy has chopped a G36 mag down to a flush fit 5rd mag. I don't know why Glock didn't make the G36 like other baby Glocks with a two finger grip instead of the pinch master plate.
I will say that a compact XDM 45 which uses XD45 mags is could be useful. I have only held a XDM compact and it is still more of a fullsize in statureand is not a pocket gun.
You mentioned recoil, the XDS is very mild, the Kahr is not. For the most part guns in 45acp are fairly mild. My Kahr CW45 was brutal in recoil, more than a j frame 357 mag.
Guest kj4gxu

Thanks to all for the advice and opinions.  As I said earlier my thoughts on Glocks are just that, thoughts based off of nothing more than uninformed observations.  I guess I'll get to learn about that at the end of the week when my wife and I take our concealed carry class.  She'll be using our pistol so I'll be using a rental Glock 19.  Perhaps I will discover I'm completely off base on my thoughts.

There are a few items mentioned above that I've never heard of so I'll have to investigate those.

Thanks again

Eric

Have a XDM 3.8 (45)

I use it for carry and find it to be very accurate ( Good groups at 25 yards) 

Both targets where done hand held slow fire at 25 yards.

I put a set of truglo tfo's on it and a pearce grip extension on one of the mags.

I like XDM's  also have a 4.5 and 5.25  (45)  JMO they are reliable and for me accurate and very little felt recoil.

The new Glock 30SF is also a very accurate pistol with good ammo and should be reliable.

What is good about the 3.8 XDM is you can use the  13rd magazine as shown in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zycQ0PEmjR4

100_3098-1.jpg100_3094.jpg

Edited by Kano

Thanks to all for the advice and opinions.  As I said earlier my thoughts on Glocks are just that, thoughts based off of nothing more than uninformed observations.  I guess I'll get to learn about that at the end of the week when my wife and I take our concealed carry class.  She'll be using our pistol so I'll be using a rental Glock 19.  Perhaps I will discover I'm completely off base on my thoughts.

There are a few items mentioned above that I've never heard of so I'll have to investigate those.

Thanks again

Eric

A Glock 19 is like bacon. If you don't like that, you may need some therapy :)

• Like 4
Colt new agent. I've owned and shot multiple compact and subcompact .45, .40 and 9mm. And I've owned several compact and officer size 1911s including Springfield micro compact, colt office series 80, rock island compact, American tactical and a para worthog and the colt new agent is the best by far. Light, compact, takes extended 1911 mags and very accurate. I've got the trench sight model but you can get them with sights.

I gotta throw the HK45c in there, you won't be disappointed

Too big for most people wanting a sub compact or a compact. In fact I know some guys with H&K45 c's as duty weapons, I couldn't believe it when they told me they had the compact versions. They just seem huge, bigger than a Glock 30.

With modern hollowpoint ammo, I don't see why you wouldn't just go with a 9mm. They are pretty equivalent for practical purposes, and you have a higher round count, and it is cheaper to shoot.