AR versus Mini 14

jgradyc

Never sit to the right of a guy shooting a Mini, mine was slinging it three benches down at CHMR today. Also ejects it so that it impacts the charging handle  and the receiver, makes a dent and a dimple in the casing and the neck. Going to get a brass catcher and a bushing for it soon enough.

Never sit to the right of a guy shooting a Mini, mine was slinging it three benches down at CHMR today. Also ejects it so that it impacts the charging handle  and the receiver, makes a dent and a dimple in the casing and the neck. Going to get a brass catcher and a bushing for it soon enough.

Yeah, I guess if I shot mine all the time, I'd do the gas port bushing. Adjustable gas block would be really nice, but they are pert pricey for the Mini.

- OS

The A-Team used Mini 14s.

No need for any more discussion on the matter is there?

You mean because they never killed anybody with one?  Heck, not sure they ever even hit anybody, but they could sure blow things up with them.

Or the fact they generally shot them from the hip because there's no advantage to actually aiming one?  :devil:

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest 5Legion

This has always been an age old question...seems most favor the AR.  Understandable, as any male with military service nowadays grew up shooting the AR, the AR has flooded the market, the AR is more "tacticool" and customizable with a lot of stuff most average Joe don't need (but want!).  The Mini is a bit more nostalgic, less evil black rifle looking, a mini-M14 that really is better described as a .223 M1 Carbine.  I've owned a Mini-14 Tactical (sold it, sort of miss it) and currently have a nice SS Mini-30.  The 580 and newer series with Ruger mags are quite nice, a lot nicer than the older Minis (heavier barrel profile, more accurate).  Not sniper rifles by any margin but I've found acceptable for 100-150 yds with open sights, 200 yds scoped.  They actually scope pretty easy if you want to mount a conventional scope.  I like the new 2-7 power Redfield on a Mini.  I like Minis, it's a good KISS rifle, I'll always keep one around.  in 7.62x39 it's not a shabby deer rifle for short ranges, although it will not digest cheap steel ammo like my AK.  The .223 Tactical I had ate whatever I fed it in Ruger 20 rnds mags (don't go cheap on mags!).   I think most guys get disillusioned with the Mini when they try to turn it into something it's not - i.e. an AR.  Might pick up another Tactical someday.   

If you are buying a rifle for SHTF scenarios I think parts availability between the two won't matter. Look at what's happening right now. Where are all of those so called "common" AR parts? Your only safe bet would be to stock your own parts and not to pretend ANYTHING will be available in a SHTF scenario.

I don't own either - but would probably lean toward the mini just because it fits my 'tastes' better.  I liked your post, though, because that is the way I look at potential SHTF scenarios, in general.

Well, it's kinda like buying a Camaro, you can go out and get a 2013 with all the bells and whistles for 50k maybe and it will out perform a 100k '68 model in every aspect, but which one are you really gonna take to the show...?