Reloading? Is it that difficult?

I have actually been reloading now say 2 months, and I have been a shooter close to 40 years.  I just finished shooting my first 500 rounds of both 9mm and 45auto that I re-loaded.  I had two non-fires, but when I rotated the round in the chamber and pulled the trigger they fired (maybe someone can share what happened).  Anyway, I have enjoyed reloading and I am using a single stage.  I am quite excited, I am going to have my first batch of 223 this week.  The labor and love I have poured over my Lake City brass has been tremendous, I am not so sure I can shoot them now, and I am for dang sure when I do, I am going to pick up my LC brass. 

I wished I had made the switch to reloading years ago.  My problem, I was looking through the cost prism and drinking the cost factor koolaide, and not the availabilty of ammo prism and its nasty koolaide.  Once I switched my ammo model, around past Christmas, I have jumped deep into reloading, and I now reload 9mm, 45auto, 40S&W, and 223.  Later this year I will try 270 and 30-30, and then I am going to move to 12 ga shotgun shells.  I love to shoot sporting clays, I probably have spent hundreds of dollars on 12 ga over the past 5 years.  I have made a promise to myself, I want to re-load and shoot somewhere around 10K rounds before I move on to the progressive stuff for brass reloads.  And for sure it will be the big D when I make the move!  Dillon that is!

That is exactly what I was doing... I could barely if at all reload for what I was buying this stuff for... now look at me.. :(

I had two non-fires, but when I rotated the round in the chamber and pulled the trigger they fired (maybe someone can share what happened). 

Unless it was a gun problem, I'd bet on primers that weren't fully seated. First hit from the firing pin fully seated the primer; second hit detonated it.

For your reloading supplies get a hold of DLM37015 on here. He runs the gun show circuit and can hook you up with anything you might need. He is a great guy who is honest. He has the lowest prices of anyone I know of and has a wealth of knowledge he readily shares. He is a veteran and does what is right 100% of the time. He also seems to find stuff no one else can get. I have known David for probably 5-6 years now and I an honored to know such great guy.

His daughter, Sam, also helps him out and she is as honest as David is.

Here is their website:

http://magnummaterialstn.com/Staff.html

Dolomite

reloading is not hard.  i been doing it since 1973.  the hardest part starting out  is getting the equipment.  there is so much out there it is hard to make your mind up on what to buy.  i would get with someone in your area that can show you what to byt and how to use it.  that way you will have an idea of what you want to buy.  at this time the hardest thing is getting supplies, i.e. powder, primers, bullets, and brass.  

Ive been kicking the idea around for a while now about doing it for 9,40, and .223. I think I have narrowed it down to a Dillon 650 or Hornady system. I've been reading online guys suggesting that you must read book after book after book to understand reloading. Is it not just as simple as buy a well known progressive reloader and do the following?

Clean the cases well

Make sure the primer is seated correctly  

Measure and inspect cases for cracks and trim as needed

Be very careful with powder loads

Be very careful about overall length and bullet depth?

Or amis my mechanically inclined brain getting getting too cocky for my own good?

To answer your original question - Yes, those are the basic steps involved. It is not hard to do but there is a very inherent danger in getting something wrong. Not all of the steps will have as bad of an out-come as others but if you don't know which steps it may be time to slow down and get that answer, for yourself, first! Think about this... if you are baking brownies and something goes wrong what do you do? Toss them in the trash and try again... they can't cause an explosion, catch something on fire or blow up your oven!

I am a fairly intelligent, guy and VERY mechanically inclined. I was talking to a man that used to help DLM at shows and I pushed the "I believe button" when he said to get a single stage press and learn with it. After around a year I moved to a Hornady LnL (after listening to DLM's advice verses a Dillon). There are things I still like better about using the old Rock Chucker.

A lot of people have given you a ton of great information in this 1 thread. Good luck and happy loading!

I had 2 single stage presses before my first dillon. Still use them equal amount of time as the dillons I have now. All precision rifle and rifle load development is done on singles or turrent. All pistol and rifle training ammo gets cranked out on one of the dillons. Get the 650 learning curve will be steep and possibly aggravating, but you will get through it. May not be the best time to get one though .