Your Calls are Working on HB0581!!!!!

Guest gunlobbyist

Guest gunlobbyist

Thanks to YOUR phone calls and emails Tennessee Representative Mike Harrison has agreed to hear HB0581 the Tennessee Knife Rights Bill, on April 3. It is important to contact him and THANK him for agreeing to hear the bill and also to ask him to vote YES on HB0581 when it is heard. His email address is: rep.mike.harrison@capitol.tn.gov  His office phone is 615- 741-7480

THEN it is CRITICAL that you contact the following members of the committee to ask them to vote YES when it is heard on April 3.

Rep. David Alexander - rep.david.alexander@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-8695

Rep. Joe Armstrong - rep.joe.armstrong@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-0768

Rep. Kevin Brooks - rep.kevin.brooks@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-1350

Rep. Lois DeBerry - rep.lois.deberry@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-3830

Rep, Craig Fitzhugh - rep.craig.fitzhugh@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-2134

Rep. David Hawk - rep.david.hawk@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-7482

Rep. Gerald McCormick - rep.gerald.mccormick@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-2548

Rep. Steve McDaniel - rep.steve.mcdaniel@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-0750

Rep. Gary Odom - rep.gary.odom@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-4410

Rep. Dennis Roach - rep.dennis.roach@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-2534

Rep. Charles Sargent - rep.charles.sargent@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-6808

HB0581 would allow the possession of automatic/switchblade knives and enact knife law preemption which would make the state the sole authority on knife laws, which will create consistency throughout Tennessee. Please contact these Reps NOW!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KiloFive
I will be calling tomorrow...very amped about the possibility of this bill passing. Knife laws are my only gripe about his state. This would be an exciting change in an important hobby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If we can ring the phones off the hook for these legislators and politely explain to them that we need this law so we can work and live in different counties and expect to have the same law to obey for something as simple as a pocket knife we'll see success. No need to rant at them, but do point out that we expect them to give us a simple straightforward way to obey the law across the state.

Thanks for your great work in getting these silly laws repealed nationwide.  :up:

Thanks to YOUR phone calls and emails Tennessee Representative Mike Harrison has agreed to hear HB0581 the Tennessee Knife Rights Bill, on April 3. It is important to contact him and THANK him for agreeing to hear the bill and also to ask him to vote YES on HB0581 when it is heard. His email address is: rep.mike.harrison@capitol.tn.gov  His office phone is 615- 741-7480

THEN it is CRITICAL that you contact the following members of the committee to ask them to vote YES when it is heard on April 3.

Rep. David Alexander - rep.david.alexander@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-8695

Rep. Joe Armstrong - rep.joe.armstrong@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-0768

Rep. Kevin Brooks - rep.kevin.brooks@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-1350

Rep. Lois DeBerry - rep.lois.deberry@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-3830

Rep, Craig Fitzhugh - rep.craig.fitzhugh@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-2134

Rep. David Hawk - rep.david.hawk@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-7482

Rep. Gerald McCormick - rep.gerald.mccormick@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-2548

Rep. Steve McDaniel - rep.steve.mcdaniel@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-0750

Rep. Gary Odom - rep.gary.odom@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-4410

Rep. Dennis Roach - rep.dennis.roach@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-2534

Rep. Charles Sargent - rep.charles.sargent@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-6808

HB0581 would allow the possession of automatic/switchblade knives and enact knife law preemption which would make the state the sole authority on knife laws, which will create consistency throughout Tennessee. Please contact these Reps NOW!

Once more into the breach...

HB0581 cleared the House Finance Subcommittee and is now on the agenda for a full House Finance Committee vote next weekbiggrin.gif

Chairman Sargent and each one of the House Finanace Committee members need to be called and emailed and asked to please vote YES on HB0581.

According to the legislative analysis, HB0581 has "no significant fiscal impact" on the state of Tennessee and therefore there is no reason why the Finance Committee shouldn't pass this bill. However, it still received 5 NO votes in the sub-committee! That is a dangerous message to the full Committee.

If you're in TN or travel to/through TN, please be sure to contact everyone on the below list, then get your friends, family and anyone else you know to call and email also!!!  Heck, it only took me a few minutes to call each one and leave the simple message, "Please let the Rep. know that I support the HB5081 knife bill and hope YES will be their vote. Thanks."

When calling and writing, simply ask them to vote in favor of HB0581, remind them that the legislative analysis says it has "no significant fiscal impact", and you could also remind them that SB1015, the companion bill in the Tennessee Senate, has already passed 27-3. Keep your calls and emails POLITE, short and to the point. 

Here's the contact information for everyone we need to inundate with calls and emails. Let's have them come in Monday morning to full in boxes!

Chairman, Rep. Charles Sargent - rep.charles.sargent@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-6808
Rep. David Alexander - rep.david.alexander@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-8695
Rep. Joe Armstrong - rep.joe.armstrong@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-0768
Rep. Kevin Brooks - rep.kevin.brooks@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-1350
Rep. Kent Calfee - rep.kent.calfee@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-7658
Rep. Mike Carter - rep.mike.carter@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-3025
Rep. Barbara Cooper - rep.barbara.cooper@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-4295
Rep. Lois DeBerry - rep.lois.deberry@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-3830
Rep, Craig Fitzhugh - rep.craig.fitzhugh@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-2134
Rep. Steve Hall - rep.steve.hall@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-2287
Rep. Mike Harrison - rep.mike.harrison@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-7480
Rep. David Hawk - rep.david.hawk@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-7482
Rep. Matthew Hill - rep.matthew.hill@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-2251
Rep. Curtis Johnson - rep.curtis.johnson@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-4341
Rep. Gerald McCormick - rep.gerald.mccormick@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-2548
Rep. Steve McDaniel - rep.steve.mcdaniel@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-0750
Rep. Larry Miller - rep.larry.miller@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-4453
Rep. Gary Odom - rep.gary.odom@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-4410
Rep. Dennis Roach - rep.dennis.roach@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-2534
Rep. Johnny Shaw - rep.johnny.shaw@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-4538

Edited by hso

Here's an email my wife sent this morning - 

Dear Representative,

Like so very many Tennesseans I carry a knife from time to time working around the garden or the house or hiking/hunting/boating.  I encourage you to vote YES in support of HB0581 so that as I go to Tractor Supply or Home Depot or hiking, camping or hunting that I don't have to wonder if the town or county I'm going to or through has the same blade length law as home.  Having a patchwork of blade length rules can make the knife in my pocket legal one minute and illegal the next as I go about my normal weekend activities (and with spring finally having arrived there are a lot of outdoor activities going on).   I'm  a Scout Leader, gardener, hiker, whitewater boater, hunter and lover of the beautiful outdoors in Tennessee and I'd like you to vote YES in support of HB0581.

Thank you,

Here's an email mailing list she put together to make it easy to contact all the Reps at once.

rep.charles.sargent@capitol.tn.gov, rep.david.alexander@capitol.tn.gov, rep.joe.armstrong@capitol.tn.gov, rep.kevin.brooks@capitol.tn.gov, rep.kent.calfee@capitol.tn.gov, rep.mike.carter@capitol.tn.gov, rep.barbara.cooper@capitol.tn.gov, rep.lois.deberry@capitol.tn.gov, rep.craig.fitzhugh@capitol.tn.gov, rep.steve.hall@capitol.tn.gov, rep.mike.harrison@capitol.tn.gov, rep.david.hawk@capitol.tn.gov, rep.matthew.hill@capitol.tn.gov, rep.curtis.johnson@capitol.tn.gov, rep.gerald.mccormick@capitol.tn.gov, rep.steve.mcdaniel@capitol.tn.gov, rep.larry.miller@capitol.tn.gov, rep.gary.odom@capitol.tn.gov, rep.dennis.roach@capitol.tn.gov, rep.johnny.shaw@capitol.tn.gov

To make it even easier to call the Committee members just paste the list below into an email and send it to your phone.  Then you can just go down the phone number column and have your phone call without having to dial.

Using this approach I called everyone on the list in about 7 minutes.  Just leave a brief message you would like their support and YES vote on HB0581 and you're done (unless you get a live human willing to talk to you).

Chairman, Rep. Charles Sargent -  615-741-6808
Rep. David Alexander -  615-741-8695
Rep. Joe Armstrong -  615-741-0768
Rep. Kevin Brooks - 615-741-1350
Rep. Kent Calfee - 615-741-7658
Rep. Mike Carter - 615-741-3025
Rep. Barbara Cooper - 615-741-4295
Rep. Lois DeBerry - 615-741-3830
Rep, Craig Fitzhugh - 615-741-2134
Rep. Steve Hall - 615-741-2287
Rep. Mike Harrison - 615-741-7480
Rep. David Hawk - 615-741-7482
Rep. Matthew Hill - 615-741-2251
Rep. Curtis Johnson - 615-741-4341
Rep. Gerald McCormick - 615-741-2548
Rep. Steve McDaniel - 615-741-0750
Rep. Larry Miller - 615-741-4453
Rep. Gary Odom -  615-741-4410
Rep. Dennis Roach - 615-741-2534
Rep. Johnny Shaw -  615-741-4538

Edited by hso
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, so according to a news article, they passed HB0581 but it sounded like the only part of the bill that they passed was the preemption over local knife laws-though it kinda appears like >4" blades may be legal. Does anyone know how to find what actually was passed and was sent to the governor? Our idiot government can't seem to post something simple like, "this is what was actually voted on and passed."

Okay, so according to a news article, they passed HB0581 but it sounded like the only part of the bill that they passed was the preemption over local knife laws-though it kinda appears like >4" blades may be legal. Does anyone know how to find what actually was passed and was sent to the governor? Our idiot government can't seem to post something simple like, "this is what was actually voted on and passed."

Everything is in this thread:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/60282-tn-bill-to-remove-restrictions-on-knife-possession-and-carry/

Short answer: the preemption is the only thing that survived in final bill for enactment.

- OS