He shot 154+ rounds with that Bushmaster, yeh, right...

Guest 6.8 AR

Okay, so this doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you start adding the numbers up.

First, he had 48 rounds left in the magazines and 1 in the chamber. 6 x 30rnd mags = 180 rounds - 49 = 131 not 154. Can anyone figure out a way if you combine 6 magazines that would make those numbers work out?

Actually, I get a higher round count:

- 3 empty mags = 90 rounds shot

- 3 partial mags dumped still containing 34 rounds total = 56 rounds shot

- mag still in Bushie, 14 +1 in chamber, 15 rounds = 15 rounds shot

161 total rounds, not counting the pistol shot. A closer count to the reporting, but still discrepancy.

Maybe one or more of the mags didn't have full 30 to begin with, maybe they missed the count, maybe somebody picked up some from the front door when he shot it open, maybe anything, who knows.

- OS

161 total rounds, not counting the pistol shot. A closer count to the reporting, but still discrepancy.

Maybe one or more of the mags didn't have full 30 to begin with, maybe they missed the count, maybe somebody picked up some from the front door when he shot it open, maybe anything, who knows.

- OS

Despite being crazy and evil, he was intelligent and planned this out.  Like the Virginia Tech killer, he probably did his internet research and saw where many recommend downloading magazines to 28 or 29 rounds, to make it easier to reload when the bolt is closed.  With the partial magazines, looks like he did that three times.

As far earlier reports the he used pistols to kill the children, I never heard that from the police.  Early on, an NBC reporter said that on the air.  No doubt a rumor passed on by someone's brother's neighor's cousin's boyfriend.

Edited by JRWnTN

Despite being crazy and evil, he was intelligent and planned this out.  Like the Virginia Tech killer, he probably did his internet research and saw where many recommend downloading magazines to 28 or 29 rounds, to make it easier to reload when the bolt is closed.  With the partial magazines, looks like he did that three times.

If he was so smart you would have thought he would have stuck to the more reliable 20 rnd mags than the 30. The fact that there were three partial mags show they aren't all that reliable. Dumping three, roughly 1/3 full mags, (not to mention the 3 empty ones) also shows that he still had plenty of time to swamp mags and therefore, low cap mags would have not helped. But then again I think in reality, not the happy land of feelings.

Guest 6.8 AR

- OS

Awful lot of maybes, isn't it?

Damned gun was probably a Colt. The media confused a snake with a horse. :D

That is a good habit that he must have picked up from somewhere....  He's reloading the partially used mags for full mags during lulls in the fight to make sure the next 'contact' he had was with a full magazine.

It's a pretty standard tactic that is taught to our military in CQB environments and I'm sure most civilian and police CQB training also includes it...  most people would refer to this as a 'tactical reload'.

In this case he used a good habit for bad things.

If he was so smart you would have thought he would have stuck to the more reliable 20 rnd mags than the 30. The fact that there were three partial mags show they aren't all that reliable. Dumping three, roughly 1/3 full mags, (not to mention the 3 empty ones) also shows that he still had plenty of time to swamp mags and therefore, low cap mags would have not helped. But then again I think in reality, not the happy land of feelings.

That is a good habit that he must have picked up from somewhere....  He's reloading the partially used mags for full mags during lulls in the fight to make sure the next 'contact' he had was with a full magazine.

It's a pretty standard tactic that is taught to our military in CQB environments and I'm sure most civilian and police CQB training also includes it...  most people would refer to this as a 'tactical reload'.

In this case he used a good habit for bad things.

The "media" has opined the same, that his tactical vid game habit taught him to enter a new room with a full mag.

- OS

The shooter in Oregon and the shooter in Colorado, both had jams in the high capacity mags in the rifles. I'm sure we've all had the high capacity mags jam. I know I have. Usually in the last 3rd of the mag.  These are the least reliable mags IMO.  Again, the ignorant Liberal "requirements" that everyone should use the lower capacity mags just puts reliability back into the equation....and they don't even know it. A PITIFUL BUNCH OF POLITICIANS....that don't know Schit about guns. I'm sure many here are experienced and know that a 7, 10, 15 or 30 round mag can be changed in less than 2 seconds with just a little practice. Then again....maybe they DO know. This might be why they REALLY want total gun confiscation.

I'm not sure what "video game" even simulates this type of activity correctly...  None of the console games I've ever seem do, I'm aware of only a single fairly high end simulator type "game" that provides this functionality...  the engine is used by the USMC and a number of military units all over the world to provide scripted training...  the 'game' is also sold to civilians under a different name but isn't very popular.  Maybe somebody will correct me, but I doubt he picked up this 'habit' while playing Call of Duty on his Xbox.

The "media" has opined the same, that his tactical vid game habit taught him to enter a new room with a full mag.

- OS

Guest Bassman17SC

On another article by the AP, they used the words "huge arsenal of weapons" in the title. I was unaware that 7 guns (1 which only fires blanks) along with a few knives is a huge arsenal, or even an arsenal at all. Loaded words. Americans idiot liberals and low-information people buy them hook, line, and sinker.

Fixed!

Agreed.  The issue on this one is that the story keeps changing.

That article is in direct contradiction to what was supposed to be an "official" police announcement three or so weeks ago which was that the only guns he actually used were pistols.

One would think that after more than three months post this event we could get the real story but I'm about at the point to call BS on anything I read about it now.

No, the report about the handguns was a media report. The official police report said he used a Bushmaster AR style rifle, a Glock 10mm handgun, and a Saiga was found in the trunk of his car.

http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?Q=517284

Also, it's quite interesting to see how many folks are working very hard to make the official reports inaccurate. If you find yourself trying to create scenarios to prove someone wrong, then you should probably take a step back. The math I get says he fired a maximum of 161 rounds (as was mentioned by OS earlier). The kid was crazy. He loaded up a bunch of magazines, went to the school, and hot up the place. There's nothing else to this story except for the details related to those facts. No conspiracy.

It's also quite interesting to see how people will constantly say the media is corrupt, irresponsible, and inaccurate, but here, early media reports made in the heat of the moment as the story unfolded are 100% correct and corrected reports are fabricated. Again, when you have to do this much work to make the story fit what you want it to be, it's probably time to step back. Edited by East_TN_Patriot
  • Like 4

No, the report about the handguns was a media report. The official police report said he used a Bushmaster AR style rifle, a Glock 10mm handgun, and a Saiga was found in the trunk of his car.

http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?Q=517284

Also, it's quite interesting to see how many folks are working very hard to make the official reports inaccurate. If you find yourself trying to create scenarios to prove someone wrong, then you should probably take a step back.

I don't believe that people are working hard to make anyone's reports inaccurate. Rather, I think most people just want to know the facts and when you keep reading different stories with different "facts" it becomes more and more difficult to believe any of them regardless of their origin.

Aside from the natural curiosity factor, this tragedy is being used as a reason to push even more unconstitutional gun control measures on the innocent (meaning us)...we know it doesn't really matter what weapons he actually use or how many shots he fired from what weapon but given the stakes, I think we would all just like to see some verifiable accuracy in the reporting and it just doesn't seem as if we are getting that; at least not on a consistent basis.
  • Like 1
Guest 6.8 AR

It's pretty easy to believe a source who tries to constantly lie to the public as part of their political job, on other

topics, so why would one expect any different on this subject, since especially this piece of news reporting has

political overtones that can be long lasting. ET, do you really expect them to tell the truth?

I agree about stepping back, but that also means the BS detector antenna needs to be correctly tuned in when

focusing on the topic at hand. Lots of "stuff" just doesn't sound right. That's all. I don't know whether it's right

or wrong. Reminds me of JFK. Did that one ever make sense?

Edited by 6.8 AR

It's pretty easy to believe a source who tries to caonstantly lie to the public as part of their political job, on other
topics, so why would one expect any different on this subject, since especially this piece of news reporting has
political overtones that can be long lasting. ET, do you really expect them to tell the truth?

I agree about stepping back, but that also means the BS detector antenna needs to be correctly tuned in when
focusing on the topic at hand. Lots of "stuff" just doesn't sound right. That's all. I don't know whether it's right
or wrong. Reminds me of JFK. Did that one ever make sense?

I understand what you are saying, but at some point one has to be able to decide on what is accurate and what is not. It seems that all too often, the answer is "whatever fits my opinion."

Do I believe them to tell the truth? Generally yes, and by "truth" I mean simple facts. Interpretation of those facts is quite a different issue completely. The question is, why would they lie about how many rounds were fired? And who picks the number? If they were simply going to make up random information to ban guns, then why do it that way? Why not say the kid converted a civilian AR style rifle to full-auto, fired hundreds and hundreds of rounds into the victims, and had even converted the Saiga into a full-auto shotgun? Why not dozens and dozens of rifles in his home "arsenal" along with tens of thousands of rounds stockpiled? Might as well throw some bomb-making materials in with it as well. Why say he left rounds in each magazine? Why not that he fired all 30 rounds, but didn't get to use all of his magazines because the heroic police showed up and saved the day? Do you think that a media that can't tell the difference between a semi-auto and machine gun, a bayonet lug and a flash suppressor, or a magazine from a clip would be smart enough to construct a false scenario that involved tactical mag changes and short-loading mags for better reliability (a practice I call BS on anyhow)?

The problem is that the BS detectors out there are set way too high, so all they get are a bunch of false positives. If all one ever does is specifically seeks out BS, then they are guaranteed to find it somewhere. That's the reason for my point about a single early news report that says no rifle was used. Any other time, folks would be chalking that up as just another case of the media jumping the gun to get their story out there first. However, here, that single news story is being held up as absolute truth and evidence of a fleecing by the government because all other stories since, and official law enforcement reports say the opposite. It's not that the early news story was inaccurate, it's that everyone else is lying.

Let's change your BS detector to a metal detector and say you are looking for buried treasure on a beach that some guy on TV said was buried there. You are so certain that there is treasure on that beach, you set the sensitivity of your metal detector as high as it will go so you don't miss a single gold coin buried in the sand. So off to the beach you go with your metal detector set on high and when you get there, you start looking right where you "know" the treasure had to be buried because that's where you would have buried it. Of course you get a hit, dig a hole, and find an old can. In your mind, you say that is proof treasure exists because people who bury treasure use cans too. Then you run to the next spot you think is a good hiding place and do the same thing. Then it's off to the next spot, and the next, and no matter where you look you get a hit from your metal detector, but all you find are old bits of metal and the occasional old penny (surely the people who buried the treasure there *must* have put some coins out there to throw you off their trail). After days of this, you've run all over the beach, collected a nice pile of useless junk, and no treasure. What you fail to realize is that there is no treasure and the story was created by some hack who uses the story to dupe people into buying metal detectors, and you see your useless junk as a pile of evidence that treasure exists. All the while, you miss the gold Rolex that someone dropped near the waterline while they were out sunbathing.

That's the same thing you get when the BS detector is set way too high. You waste time and energy chasing down ghosts while you miss the important stuff. Edited by East_TN_Patriot
  • Like 3
Guest 6.8 AR

Good response, ET. I usually adjust my BS detector according to what I'm paying attention to, at the moment, and yes,

the simple facts usually are easier to get a grip on. It's just that they are sometimes so camo'd up they can even be

difficult to find.

And I don't have any problem with stepping back. You usually have to. Sometimes if I can't step back on a certain issue,

I just have to walk away, anyway. This is just one of them, being so politicized and could end up breaking our backs

with new law.

As to your analogy, I don't approach such things with such high expectations, like I quit with the news. :D

That article is in direct contradiction to what was supposed to be an "official" police announcement three or so weeks ago which was that the only guns he actually used were pistols.

One would think that after more than three months post this event we could get the real story but I'm about at the point to call BS on anything I read about it now.

You are right. I read one of the original news releases and it stated that the "Bushmaster was left in the car"

He used hand guns that he concealed when he entered the school.

The question I have is who changed the story and facts that were first issued?

Obama's media? Bloomberg news and talking points?

The propaganda is frightening.