Random thought tonight for our resident IDPA experts.. Have you ever thought about (or organized) an IDPA class? As with any sport, training and practice is what separates the weekend warrior from the skilled shooters. I know a Saturday training class on stage strategy, reloading, and shooting drills from some of you guys would help me and I'd be willing to pay for it. I'd even help organize it. Meet early, grill out for lunch, and finish in the afternoon.

What do you guys think?

just go shoot at several different clubs. each place has its own feel and idea's. the stages tell you what to, sometimes you can find small ways to game a stage. at home do reloads and reloads with retinion.

also try uspsa to get some different ideas. remember its just a game and not real training

Ive never really done that in a class type setting, but I have helped lots of new shooters in the past. Ive been shooting IDPA since 09, and if you ever come out to Gallatin Gun Club or Oak Ridge Sportsmans Association I would be more than happy to squad with you and answer any question you have and give you any tips I can think of. Of course nobody can say their way is the best way because theres a million ways to skin a cat, and the cat doesnt like any of them lol

We try and squad new shooters with members of our shooting team. They can help with wherever you want. From the draw and grip, rules, movement, how to reload, just about everything. Just let them know what you want help with because not everyone wants advice. I shoot in Gallatin also. Find me or Daniel and squad with us. Try and take more advice from him than me.:blink:
  • Like 1

I'm not paying attention to who is the OP. You may not want back in my squad. ;)  Seriously though let your SO and others in your squad know you are looking for help. Members of MCTS can get with lagerhead and go shoot at the range on second Saturdays. That is an open shoot and he knows how to help and is very good with new guys.

Edited by Mechanic_X
itchy, where are you from? i'm assuming the nashville area if you are interested nex sat morning is the orsa monthly idpa match, you are more than welcome to meet me at baxter exit 280 at 7am and ride up with me. they run seven good stages that are relatively simple for new inexperienced shooters.

There are 3 different types of reloads in IDPA and all of them can be practiced at home very easily.  There are differences between, say, IPSC and IDPA.  In the former, you're given a problem and told to solve it.  In IDPA you're told the course of fire and HOW you'll shoot it.  At my club, there is a meeting prior to every match where new shooters are given an orientation to IDPA prior to start.  As for the shooting part........practice, practice, practice.  Practice your regular two-handed, strong hand only, and weak hand only.  Normally, you won't have a target farther than about 20 yards.  Most will be closer.

I'm not paying attention to who is the OP. You may not want back in my squad. ;) <br />Seriously though let your SO and others in your squad know you are looking for help. <br />Members of MCTS can get with lagerhead and go shoot at the range on second Saturdays. That is an open shoot and he knows how to help and is very good with new guys.

LOL ... Yeah, my son and I would like to get in your squad again, and he told me he's leaving that fancy dancy CZ at home next time. He's got an XD that would be a whole lot less controversial :pleased:

You (and your wife, and Hognut ... enough kudos to go around to all) gave me some great pointers that day ... so I only have about 249 more questions and I think I may have this IDPA thing down.

LOL @ Mechanic_X, I'll shoot with you anytime!

You, and all the guys, from MCTS are top notch guys and I'm grateful for everything you guys have already shown me. But I know I'm not the only noob who would like to get out of the competative environment of a match and work on shooting for accuracy AND speed. I don't think I'm the only one who kicks into competition mode when I'm at a match, manage to forget what little I practiced, and don't want to hold up the squad and the rest of the match.

Big K gave me Andy Stanford's book, "Surgical Speed Shooting". It's really good. Andy Stevens has a dryfire book a lot of people believe in. And Ben Stoeger has a couple of books out that are top notch.

That Andy Stanford book is so good I bought another copy so I could read it a 3rd time.

I'll be at ORSA for the April match as well and would be happy to offer any help that I can.

He said expert not sharpshooter! Post again when your half a second faster!!!!!  e5a4_bazinga_hoodie.jpg

John Sutton and another man did a class for IDPA. It's just what your talking about. I can't remember the other man's name but I know he is a Master class and John is Expert, I think don't hold me to that. It was a day class on one of their farms. There is a sign up at Oak Ridge. I don't know if they still do it or not but one of us will take a pic and send it to ya next time we get out there.

Edited by Spiffy

He said expert not sharpshooter! Post again when your half a second faster!!!!!

I can always count on you to help me keep my feet on the ground.

Mainly because you're the only one out there heavier than me.

Now that you mention it I remember seeing that flyer up at the range. It was Jason Edwards and John Suter that offered it. Next Saturday I'll ask John when they're going to have another class. Edited by BrasilNuts

I can always count on you to help me keep my feet on the ground.

Mainly because you're the only one out there heavier than me.

Now that you mention it I remember seeing that flyer up at the range. It was Jason Edwards and John Suter that offered it. Next Saturday I'll ask John when they're going to have another class.

Burrrnnnnn.

At least he don't make me wear a little hat when I drive him to Cleveland match.

• 2 weeks later...

I went by the range today and snapped a pic while I was there.

654230EE-6895-4B00-B366-5F1D34B81F68-385

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with either one of these yahoos, but to the best of my knowledge they are good guys.

John is a good shooter and SO instructor. Jason generally shoots the whole match < 100 seconds.

Last Saturday we had a wonderful turnout of first time IDPA shooters at the Gallatin match.

I had 8 New Shooters in the squad that I was the SO, more than the number of experienced shooters in my squad.  They were all good people, but each had varying degrees of gun-handling skills.  None of them did anything really unsafe, but it was a long and hard day keeping the focus on running the competitive side of the match while having to coach, instruct & mentor as the new shooter came to the line. 

It was high adventure teaching malfunction drills several times during the COFs!  :eek:  This reinforced my long-held position that new shooters to IDPA should be "Off-The-Timer" with only their hits being scored.

I have always felt that IDPA needed to add the "Coach" position. These would be experienced Shooters/SOs who would assist new shooters during the match. Just as we try to have more than one SO per squad to run the stages, having a couple of coaches who's duty would be to guide and mentor the new shooters would be a great help and in affect introduction to IDPA training. 

While the flyer posted for "Jason's Private Range" makes sense for those experience shooters wishing to become better at the game of IDPA...., it isn't IMHO the best thing for a person wanting to start in the sport. 

• Like 1

I agree DMark.  I'm still new to this as well, but I am fortunate to have been shooting all my life so I feel my handling skills are more than up to par.  Personally, I'm looking to increase my gaming skills.

I 100% agree, all new shooters should be in a squad with a coach, and everything is off the clock.  Honestly, I was quite intimidated when I shot my first and second matches.  I would have much rather been off the clock and have someone lead me through, then provide feedback to the entire squad about what was good AND bad. 

I know we always tell new people to not worry about time and be safe on their first match, but it's hard when you have a large squad or another squad waiting behind you.  People don't want to feel like they are holding up their group, much less the "competitors" behind them. 

That is one of the main reasons Music City Tactical Shooters started Team MCTS. We try to group with the new shooters and coach them before, during and after the match. I hope we have helped some of them feel more comfortable and improve their skills.
  • Like 2